Singapore Expats

Good contractors in Malaysia

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
QRM
Manager
Manager

Good contractors in Malaysia

Post by QRM » Sun, 14 Jun 2009 12:14 am

Bit of a long shot this being a Singapore expat site, I tried the Malaysian expats one as well.

We need to carry out some electrical works to a condo in KL, new lights etc, can anyone recommend a local reliable "legit" contractor, (No Ah bengs with a crowbar) need to to have indemnity insurance etc.

Thanks

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Good contractors in Malaysia

Post by ksl » Sun, 14 Jun 2009 1:24 am

QRM wrote:Bit of a long shot this being a Singapore expat site, I tried the Malaysian expats one as well.

We need to carry out some electrical works to a condo in KL, new lights etc, can anyone recommend a local reliable "legit" contractor, (No Ah bengs with a crowbar) need to to have indemnity insurance etc.

Thanks
Recommend is not easy, I would look for the major companies, these have office in Singapore too, although i know nothing about them...I would recommend getting several quotes, depending on how big the job is.

I presume you are wanting to outsource, a large contract rather than a one off condo, but I maybe wrong, still price will depend on the condo build structure and plans. Are conduits in place already ect ect, any channeling need doing in the concrete yellow pages is probably the only way... get 3 to 5 quotes, although i would expect price to be quite low for 3 bedroom in comparison to Singapore. Just make sure they have all the required standards & authorisations and especially the indemnity cover. If it was me, I think i would like to be their to make sure they are doing what they should do :o At least you should be able to gage the cable they are using is correct ha!

Sorry didn't mean to laugh, but i have seen some cowboys in my time, in the UK and i bankrupted them because of my knowledge of the construction industry and what was legal and not legal at the time! Cost me an extra 100 pound to have a surveyor come out to do a fault list, when they refused to correct the faults, they never got paid, simple has that...so yes cover yourself, by having the work checked as they are doing it, it's well worth it in the long run.

I was reading a report on the UK only last week where building associations have had to reject thousands of newly built homes in UK, because they never met the housing association criteria, because of shoddy workmanship, cheap materials and so on. In my opinion a 200k house built in UK isn't worth, diddly doo....the council housing and housing associations build quality is far superior.

Though economies of scale play a big part in what you get for your money from a builders point of view. I have often played the hod carrier for brickies and plasters for the right price...and i have qualifications in concreting and drainage, although they must be well out of date now, but i never do anything without getting updated anyway.

It's even worse here too, we had a heat extracta breakdown at the factor, the belt had snapped on the motor, the guy that came to give us a price stole the belt before we had looked at the quotes and becuase we didn't choose him because he tried an extortionate price of 300$ for a belt replacement which could have been done for at least half, he gave the guy that was fixing it the wrong measurements! I mean I thought UK was very bad, but this place beats it hands down for cowboys.

http://www.malaysiayellowpages.net/bond/

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Sun, 14 Jun 2009 2:50 pm

Sorry OP but the thread title is an oxymoron. Much like my favourite from last year "Rap music"

I've got a mate in KL who has recently completed some renovation works so i'll ask him and report back if his electrical guy was any good.

Cheers

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:38 pm

I see, QRM, re. your PM.

Sorry, can't help . . . it may be worthwhile calling up some developers, or look at the contractors involved in bigger projects to give you an idea.

We live in a place called Desa Parkcity and the electrical work is quite good as it is an upscale area with quite a few awards. There are both condos and houses in the development.

You can always call and pose as a prospective client asking questions: http://www.desaparkcity.com/

'nuff said Image