Singapore Expats Forum

friends for my dog

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Texas Nikki

friends for my dog

Postby Texas Nikki » Fri, 12 Jun 2009 3:54 pm

This is kind of strange but I'm looking for dog friends for my yellow lab. He is a big dog about 40 kg or 115 lbs, 4.5 years old, neutered, very friendly, laid back and quiet. We have only lived in Singapore for a few months and he has not met any other dogs he gets along with. The dogs that live nearby are small, very aggressive and they bark a lot. He does play well with small dogs but I would prefer him play with medium to large size dog. I am getting worried about him as he is becoming rather moody and sulks quite a bit.

We do not have a car here so if anyone is in the East Coast Park area (near Costa del Sol, Bay Shore or Bay Shore Park, or Siglap Park) and is interested please let us know.

you can email me at nnn1981@hotmail.com

Nikki

nushk

re

Postby nushk » Fri, 12 Jun 2009 7:22 pm

hi nikki!

I am sending you an email now. I'm replying to this thread to make sure you check your mail!

Raisa

Postby Raisa » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 1:29 pm

Hi Nikki and nushk!

I'll be moving to S'pre in Sept. and plan to bring our dog with me.
I'm a bit worried about the quaranteen period and the thunder storms in Singapore, as they are much stronger than at home.
How was the quaranteen for your lab, Nikki? What are your experiences?
If you have time, it would be great to meet up, I'm now visiting Singapore for 2 more weeks.
Br,
Raisa

Texas Nikki

quarantine

Postby Texas Nikki » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 9:56 pm

Well quarantine was not so bad now that it is over. My dog actually did quite well considering I hear horror tales. The first day was the hardest when we visited and he realized he could not go home with us, he cried and howled! It broke my heart but by the end of the week he learned when visiting hour was. I was concerned about how often he was able to get out and use the bathroom but I talked to the staff and they were happy to help out.

As for the thunderstorms, I wouldn't worry. The play area is not covered but the staff is seasoned with all of it so if you have any questions they can help and are friendly.

If you have any other questions you can email me at nnn1981@hotmail.com

Nikki

nushk

Postby nushk » Thu, 18 Jun 2009 12:10 pm

the quarantine area is tons better than it used to be... for a large dog, it isn't that big a space but it is sufficient. you can opt for air-conditioned or non A/C rooms, (pay more for former), and each 'kennel' is shelthered - no worries about thunderstorms.

good luck with bringing your dog over, and maybe we could meet at east coast for a playdate for the dogs! :)

Thaiclan
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Thaiclan » Thu, 18 Jun 2009 1:03 pm

We have 2 dogs and recently embarked (no-pun-intended!) on a dog training course for them. Its held at East Point mall (next to Simei MRT) and I think the company name is Waggies.
Not only are our dogs well trained but over the weeks (the course is 10 weeks) we have connected with some fellow dog lovers and our dogs have made their "friends" too. Also we get to hear about the various dog events that are going on. Last week there was one at Fort Canning park called "Bark in the Park". It was just a fun event with competitions like "the waggiest tail" etc. We met lots of great dogs and great owners too :-) There are a few more coming up and its a great way to connect with other dog lovers.

Texas Nikki

Postby Texas Nikki » Thu, 18 Jun 2009 4:07 pm

Thank you for the information! My dog is pretty well trained but I'm always interested in meeting other dog owners and stuff like that. I'll try to look the company to see if they have a website. Thanks.

Nikki

OH PS I've made a point of getting up extra early and jogging my dog more and he seems a little happier. I actually thought it would help him sleep but it's given him more energy- I'm not complaining, as long as he's happy thats what matters to me...

Raisa

Postby Raisa » Thu, 18 Jun 2009 6:18 pm

Thanks a million for your replies!
Will love to meet up in the autumn.
Are any of you members of the kennel club?

Texas Nikki

Postby Texas Nikki » Fri, 19 Jun 2009 6:45 am

My dog is AKC registered but that was from when he was a puppy. We are not currently active members of any kennel club.