Singapore Expats Forum

Where in Singapore can this be found?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 8:20 pm

Sorry to butt in but I have a great one. Does anybody know how Dhoby Ghaut got its name (without looking it up on the internet)?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 9:50 pm

That one's easy, It's were all the indian laundries used to be. Course being married to an indian for a quarter of a century helps. :P

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 9:53 pm

ksl, nope, as you can see just behind the sculpture on the right, there is a traffic light controlled intersection.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:08 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:That one's easy, It's were all the indian laundries used to be. Course being married to an indian for a quarter of a century helps. :P

Correct it basically means laundry place because that is where the Indian laundry men used to be in the old days.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:29 am

littlegreenman wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:That one's easy, It's were all the indian laundries used to be. Course being married to an indian for a quarter of a century helps. :P

Correct it basically means laundry place because that is where the Indian laundry men used to be in the old days.
That was a good question but many ex military would know it, not civilians, there are many different handles in different cultures, the soldiers her had their uniforms done on a daily basis, immaculate to British standards, and they were very good at what they did. char walla was also used for the guy selling the tea on the street if I remember correctly.

I also had my toe nails done very often back in the 70's, it was an amazing feeling, along with a good massage, not talking about sex. But really the different cultures offer their different forms of anti stress massages, that should be experienced, even for the wife :D highly recommended.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Wed, 24 Jun 2009 6:58 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Here's something newer. This Sculpture commemorates something that was rather large and imposing and was torn down during the 1990's after having been around since the 1860's. Where is it located?

Hint: It's in town within 2.5 km of Sir Stamford Raffles.

Marina Sounth?

XxDrAg0nxX

Postby XxDrAg0nxX » Wed, 24 Jun 2009 8:41 pm

QRM wrote:Its quite difficult finding a shot with enough clues, this one should be easy, look closely at flower pots.

sexy hairy legs :o

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Wed, 24 Jun 2009 9:20 pm

littlegreenman wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Here's something newer. This Sculpture commemorates something that was rather large and imposing and was torn down during the 1990's after having been around since the 1860's. Where is it located?

Hint: It's in town within 2.5 km of Sir Stamford Raffles.

Marina Sounth?

And what does it commemorate??? A gas works?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Jun 2009 10:49 pm

littlegreenman wrote:
Marina Sounth?

Nope. It's NNE of Sir Stamford Raffles.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Wed, 24 Jun 2009 11:02 pm

Judging from the strange attempts of sticking valve wheels on it, must be something to do with an pumping station or water works?

Oh and thanks everyone who seem to like my legs :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Jun 2009 11:14 pm

Yep. Something obviously went through the pipes. I am given to understand that the sculpture was made with actual pipes from the dismantled facility. there is another sculpture there also made with remnants of the facility. I believe that one is used for outdoor gatherings. In the spirit of fair play, both are located in a Park so that ought to narrow it down considerably considering the rest of the hints I've already given. The road in the backround is a major thoroughfare by the way.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Wed, 24 Jun 2009 11:44 pm

City park ??

Still no idea what it commemorates :???:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Jun 2009 11:49 pm

If I reveal what it represents/commemorates it will give away the location as well. I've already narrowed it down considerably. Come on, a little sleuthing should turn it up if you all run with your hunches.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Thu, 25 Jun 2009 12:15 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:...The road in the backround is a major thoroughfare by the way.

So it is NNE and the road is a major thorougfare? Guess that would make it Serangoon Road?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 25 Jun 2009 12:48 am

If you go NNE from Sir Stamford Raffles you cannot hit Serangoon Road nor can you hit Upper Serangoon Road. Google Earth is your friend. :wink:
Maybe I shouldn't call it a 'thoroughfare' but 'road' even though the road is 6 lanes wide.