Singapore Expats Forum

Where in Singapore can this be found?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sat, 13 Jun 2009 4:22 pm

jpatokal wrote:
ksl wrote:
jpatokal wrote:Here's one of my favorite Sg pics:

The back of bugis is it not?

Looks like that was too easy :cry:

Your turn!



Try this one!

Image

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 13 Jun 2009 6:21 pm

ksl wrote:Try this one!

Image


It's not really fair seeing I've been all over this island on bicycle (best way to go when getting a lay of the land!)

Is it on Arab Street?

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sat, 13 Jun 2009 7:50 pm

yes Arab st, I will find one that will catch you out :cool:

I guess it was the name on the shop that gave it away :oops:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 13 Jun 2009 10:20 pm

Where is this 'nautilus' look alike?

For a hint it's more than 12km west of Sir Stamford Raffles. :wink:

Image

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sat, 13 Jun 2009 10:51 pm

Chinese Gardens! I have the same picture! :lol: :P

Image


So where is this, if it's still there, I took this back in 2006 the last one standing, i would think!

Image

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 661
Joined: Wed, 04 Jan 2006

Postby bigfilsing » Sun, 14 Jun 2009 2:45 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Would that be the Capitol Building at the intersection of Stamford and New Bridge Road, southwest corner?


So... bigfilsing... am I correct??


Sorry for the late reply. No i'm afraid not

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Jun 2009 5:54 pm

bigfilsing wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Would that be the Capitol Building at the intersection of Stamford and New Bridge Road, southwest corner?


So... bigfilsing... am I correct??


Sorry for the late reply. No i'm afraid not


Bigfilsing, was my guess correct?

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11110
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 14 Jun 2009 6:17 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
bigfilsing wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Would that be the Capitol Building at the intersection of Stamford and New Bridge Road, southwest corner?


So... bigfilsing... am I correct??


Sorry for the late reply. No i'm afraid not


Bigfilsing, was my guess correct?


I looked it up on Yellowpages.com... and TA DA... you are correct SMS.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Jun 2009 7:18 pm

If I've guessed both ksl's and bigfilsing's and ksl has already guessed mine at chinese gardens. We'll leave it with ksl's current picture then.

Which, unfortunately I don't have a clue.....

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 661
Joined: Wed, 04 Jan 2006

Postby bigfilsing » Sun, 14 Jun 2009 11:40 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
bigfilsing wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Would that be the Capitol Building at the intersection of Stamford and New Bridge Road, southwest corner?


So... bigfilsing... am I correct??


Sorry for the late reply. No i'm afraid not


Bigfilsing, was my guess correct?


I looked it up on Yellowpages.com... and TA DA... you are correct SMS.


Erm no..........yellow pages .......yeah right ............ It's circular road

At what point did it even look like capitol building

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:39 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If I've guessed both ksl's and bigfilsing's and ksl has already guessed mine at chinese gardens. We'll leave it with ksl's current picture then.

Which, unfortunately I don't have a clue.....
Today I went to see if it was still there, couldn't find it...it was around desker rd and Rowel Rd, but definitely Little India, the reason I had slice the bottom off was because i was on the pic, my mate took the picture, while i was showing him the old haunts from 1970. Today my Mrs came along, and she never noticed anything until i explained to her to open her eyes. Anyway SMS you have won, the whole area seems to be under development so I think its gone. Although I will be looking again for it on my own! There are still many very old properties to be found in the area, which i find very interesting from an historic point of view, I would have liked to seen these buildings protected in some way.


Where is this :
Image

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 3:33 pm

ksl wrote:Where is this :
Image


I'm pretty sure it's the railway line here in Singapore. However, as to where, I can only hazard a guess. It somewhat looks like the view from N. Buona Vista Road overpass but that's only a guess.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 3:40 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ksl wrote:Where is this :
Image


I'm pretty sure it's the railway line here in Singapore. However, as to where, I can only hazard a guess. It somewhat looks like the view from N. Buona Vista Road overpass but that's only a guess.


Close its actually on Holland road SMS, I believe the British Military built it for transporting military hardware to various barracks around Singapore in the late 20's or 30's. between Holland Grove rd and Bukit Sedap Rd.

Although i don't have the full story yet but it was in use when i was fisrt here. It's a Single track and runs also through Bukit Timah Station, all the way to Malayasia. You can find the line on google earth Singapore railway line.

Then follow it down from Bukit Timah to Holland Road. It goes all the way to Thailand

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 4:25 pm

Here's something newer. This Sculpture commemorates something that was rather large and imposing and was torn down during the 1990's after having been around since the 1860's. Where is it located?

Hint: It's in town within 2.5 km of Sir Stamford Raffles.

Image

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 4:33 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Here's something newer. This Sculpture commemorates something that was rather large and imposing and was torn down during the 1990's after having been around since the 1860's. Where is it located?

Hint: It's in town within 2.5 km of Sir Stamford Raffles.

Image

Istana.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest