Singapore Expats Forum

Where in Singapore can this be found?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Where in Singapore can this be found?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:56 pm

Here's the way it works....

- Once a picture is posted. The person who successfully identifies the photo will then have to post a photo. The person who guesses that one successfully has to post a photo. And so on....

- We need to guess the last picture before posting a new one. Otherwise everybody will have to "quote" the post that they are guessing and that will make unending scrolling due to incorrect answers and the same pic being posted umpteen times.

- It's up to the poster to give hints, give the answer, post another or hand it off to someone else.

Note - if possible keep photos to no larger than 800 pixels wide that way most will not need to scroll to see the whole photo or read the text

Okay LoriW,

Spot on!

You get to start the ball rolling. Next pic is yours. It doesn't have to be in the past it can be today and can be anything anywhere as long as it's here in Singapore.

Yeah, akhild, you could say I've seen some changes here over the last quarter of a century. :P
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 1:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

LoriW
Regular
Regular

Postby LoriW » Tue, 09 Jun 2009 11:08 pm

Yeah, akhild, you could say I've seen some changes here over the last quarter of a century.

Lol!! Singapore is a horrendously fast evolving country - I first visited in the late 1960s as a child. I can still remember my terror of the open storm drains and the smell as well as virtually every toilet being a hole in the ground.

My father worked for the SIT (now evolved into the HDB) after the war and was part of the team which build the first apartment blocks - 4-storey flats! Many of these are now bulldozed, some, I think have been converted into a hotel, others are rather plush apartments!

I shall have to have a little look through my pics - the only digital ones I have are probably fairly recent - oooh no, I have some scanned ones which may be interesting!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 1:04 am

LoriW wrote:
Yeah, akhild, you could say I've seen some changes here over the last quarter of a century.

Lol!! Singapore is a horrendously fast evolving country - I first visited in the late 1960s as a child. I can still remember my terror of the open storm drains and the smell as well as virtually every toilet being a hole in the ground.

My father worked for the SIT (now evolved into the HDB) after the war and was part of the team which build the first apartment blocks - 4-storey flats! Many of these are now bulldozed, some, I think have been converted into a hotel, others are rather plush apartments!

I shall have to have a little look through my pics - the only digital ones I have are probably fairly recent - oooh no, I have some scanned ones which may be interesting!
I like it!
Last edited by ksl on Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoriW
Regular
Regular

Postby LoriW » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 3:21 pm

OK, here's my pic. Sadly not an old one - think all the interesting ones are at my Father's house, but an interesting one anyway I think!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 7:34 pm

Aiyoh!. 198 views an nobody can take a guess as to where this is? Come on folks! Shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Look at the clues......

1. there is water

2. there are big buildings in the background beyond the water.

3. There is lots of greenery wherever they too the photos from.

4. It's most likely accessible to the public. and it appears to be taken from some sort of man made viewpoint judging from the lower left hand corner...

Anybody wanna guess?

LoriW
Regular
Regular

Postby LoriW » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 8:16 pm

Lol SMS! Well you obviously know where it is and where it's looking out at!

I expect you could answer and then post another, the I could guess your's etc etc ........... I'm going to visit dear daddy this weekend so I'll find some more interesting piccies.

Mind you, I suppose folks might find my contribution a tad less easy to guess if they only go to the CBD and Orchard Rd!! ;)

It's one of my favourite places to visit even though it's a bit out of the way ......... popular with school trips .......... no one even going to hazard a guess??

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 9:57 pm

This must be the bird nature reserve at a guess out in jurong and it is a wild guess, I have never been yet, but i do plan on going there!

LoriW
Regular
Regular

Postby LoriW » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:27 pm

Nope, not Jurong Bird Park :)

Think wilder, think crocs ..........

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:45 pm

Sungei Buroh Nature park? buildings in Johor?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:45 pm

Used to ride my bicycle from Seletar Camp on half circuits around the island on Sunday mornings (before I go I would stop for roti prata outside the seletar gates (that's way back when Thasavi was just a single griddle in the Chinese Kopishop outside the front gate!) Now you know were my nick came from as well! I'd go south down to Scotts Road/Far East plaza, have a quick breather and then either go east or west going around the perimeter of the island then coming back into Seletar from the north east or north west of the island.

Spent last weekend overhauling the bike now that I've lost 25kg and I'm planning to get back into it again. Never too old!

But yeah, I'm pretty sure where it is but want to get others into this. We did this a number of years ago on here and it was rather fun.

LoriW
Regular
Regular

Postby LoriW » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 11:26 pm

Woot Yes! Sungei Buloh looking across to JB :) Fab place for a bit of real nature and open space on the island!

SMS I'm def with you on what a fun idea this photo comp is - in a way it opens up previously unthought of areas of the island to newcomers to visit!

"My" Singapore is from the 1970s and 80s, then a 20 year absence. Totally different really. I've looked through the old photos I have scanned on my comp and at home (while desperately trying to pack for my imminent move). Most of them are of family - usually eating either in restaurants, hawker centres or someone's house - I do have some of visitor attractions but they feature people more than the location.

I've visited for 2 week annual holidays over the past 5 years and with my partner have really gone out of our way to look for places of interest which haven't involved malls!

I'm sure my father has some more interesting pics - he has a whole pile of albums ........

Soooo........... next photo from QRM :)

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 12:14 am

Its quite difficult finding a shot with enough clues, this one should be easy, look closely at flower pots.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 12:37 am

Well, the hairy legs tend to detract from the picture and the pots don't tell me squat except that they look like they are on a roof seeing there are basket ferns there as well. Assuming they are your legs, I would guess the view is directly below your balcony and located somewhere on Nassim Hill but that's as close as I can get and google isn't much help either! The road appear to be a public road although that may not be so either but there are double yellow lines therefore subject to no parking rules. But the road is too narrow to be a main thoroughfare so I'm tapped out & clueless! :wink:

LoriW
Regular
Regular

Postby LoriW » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 1:02 am

Nice legs! ;)

I *think* I know ....... a big newish road bridge?? A place I mentioned in a recent post re pots and plants??

Think someone else should answer if I have got it right though ........

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 10:04 am

Well so far people have missed the biggest clue what am I doing floating over trees and roads 60ft up in the air?