Singapore Expats Forum

Children in supermarkets

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

OogieBoogie
Regular
Regular

Postby OogieBoogie » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 1:32 pm

a child playing with food other people may buy is everybody business. It's the kind of stuff child should learn from their parents: food is not a toy, respect it. And it's not even YOUR food, this is the shop's food and eventually other customers food. Double fault.

What about next you buy tomatoes, i crap on them? You will wash them so it's not a big deal isn't it? Besides i need to do experiment and discover the world, I never crap on tomatoes i really would like to do it on yours. I could have stole your tomatoes, like people would probably do in other countries, but i just crap on them: lucky you!

So when do you go shop next time?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 2:19 pm

bluenose wrote:.....Live and Let Live.....in otherwise, put your own house in order first and mind your own business!

There is a different way to look at it as well which I practice.......

If you see somebody doing something wrong and you don't say anything, you are giving your tacit approval of that persons actions. In other words, IF you aren't part of the solution, you become part of the problem.

There are too many of you people who "don't want to get involved" and that's the reason that this society has become what it is. Not just here but worldwide. Don't play follow the leader. BE the leader.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 2:29 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:There are too many of you people who "don't want to get involved" and that's the reason that this society has become what it is. Not just here but worldwide. Don't play follow the leader. BE the leader.

Agreed, but depending on what you're getting involved these days you might just get the c@ap kicked out of you and THIS becomes then the chicken and egg all over again.

bluenose
Chatter
Chatter

Postby bluenose » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 3:16 pm

The store also has it's own security people who are paid to deal with this...so why deny them their job, just to be'a leader'??
Staff in the shop also I am sure alleviate your suffering (while you watch the lettuces mishandled by a tot :wink: ) if you ask them?
Yes, there is a time to get involved agreed...when there is no-one else around...but when there is security and shop staff...sorry can not agree

patsy_sg
Regular
Regular

Postby patsy_sg » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 3:43 pm

I would have (and have done) the exact same thing as the OP. Live and let live doesn't apply to this situation, that kid was playing with food that other people will be eating, he/she should be taught it is not right. Are children here so precious that they cannot be taught what is right and wrong? I was once washing my hands and a little girl pushed me away so she could use the same sink (there was only 2 and the other one was also being used), I didn't reprimand the child but the mother who just stood there looking at her daughter and told her that it might be a good idea for her to teach her daughter some manners... pretty much got the same reply from the mum, i.e. mind your own business. I told her it was my business because I as the one pushed away (and I was 6 months pregnant at that time!!) I told the lady that if she doesn't teach her daughter, then it's up to other people to teach her rather than the kid growing up uncouth like she was... she slinked out of the loo in a hurry after that!

Bluenose, if you were in the market choosing from the same bin of veggies, would you like it if after you've made your choice someone came up to you and told you " mate, some kid was tossing around and playing with those lettuce leaves you've just packed" would you still buy the item? it's attitude like yours that make this world a much less nicer place to live in!

bluenose
Chatter
Chatter

Postby bluenose » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 4:09 pm

Of course I would still buy them and wash them as I wash all vegetables etc...stop making a mountain out of a molehill.
What about all the people you dont see...that do the same thing,just because you and your veggie police are not watching :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 4:20 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:There are too many of you people who "don't want to get involved" and that's the reason that this society has become what it is. Not just here but worldwide. Don't play follow the leader. BE the leader.

Agreed, but depending on what you're getting involved these days you might just get the c@ap kicked out of you and THIS becomes then the chicken and egg all over again.

Guess it's a different generation, we always figured a few eggs had to be broken to make a cake. :wink:

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vbelle » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 4:29 pm

just do your share for the community..you cant rescue the whole world...start with u and people around u...do the right thing..right??

or..is ignorance a bliss?

veggie police.was that meant to be sarcastic?

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 4:32 pm

vbelle wrote:just do your share for the community..you cant rescue the whole world...start with u and people around u...do the right thing..right??

or..is ignorance a bliss?

veggie police.was that meant to be sarcastic?

It's a question of personal responsibility. bluenose appears to be saying that someone else should fix it, if indeed it needs fixing at all. I operate from the perspective that EVERYTHING in the world is my responsibility. I may not be able to do much about a lot of it but it is still my responsibility. To look at it any other way always makes things someone else's problem... shifting of responsibility, externalizing.

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vbelle » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 4:34 pm

agree strong eagle..

if you can do something..why not do it? :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 4:35 pm

bluenose wrote:Of course I would still buy them and wash them as I wash all vegetables etc...stop making a mountain out of a molehill.
What about all the people you dont see...that do the same thing,just because you and your veggie police are not watching :wink:

Did you ever wonder about organic vegetables? All the itinerant labour that picks the organic crops? Did you ever wonder what they use for fertilizer? Did you ever see portapotties in the fields? Ever wonder where the labourer crap or take a p*ss while in the field? Ever wonder where the e coli in the spinach came from last year? Washing isn't going to solve the problem. Washing doesn't kill the viruses. You continue to buy the loose lettuce okay? :P

patsy_sg
Regular
Regular

Postby patsy_sg » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 9:24 pm

I think the crux of the matter is not if the veggies will get dirty, but it's not right for someone to be playing with food!!!

by your way of thinking, if you were on fire, we wouldn't pee on you!

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:09 pm

patsy_sg wrote:I think the crux of the matter is not if the veggies will get dirty, but it's not right for someone to be playing with food!!!

by your way of thinking, if you were on fire, we wouldn't pee on you!

Patsy... the southern saying is, "I wouldn't piss down his throat if his heart was on fire."

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 8:40 am

One thing for sure. The staff WILL NOT do anything about it. Try telling the staff that some kid is opening all the freezer doors and holding them open.... or is driving a trolley around trying to skittle someone... or that he's jabbing his finger through all the Easter eggs....
Supermarket staff have clearly been trained NOT to upset customers. Same in Oz, but not to quite the same extent. Try it some time.
If you can get any supermarket staff to deal with unruly children in their aisles- I'll be a monkey's armpit!
Meanwhile, a few of us will keep dealing with the delinquents and save all of us some money. Destroyed goods in supermarkets end up costing all of us in the end.
And if the unruly supermarket-child has a parent whose best argument is "Go home to your own country", then, if nothing else, my well-developed sense of superiority just gets a boost! :wink:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

bluenose
Chatter
Chatter

Postby bluenose » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 9:43 am

You win....we should all turn into Veggie police :wink:
Next time I am in I will try it...any qualifications needed? Maybe a degree in self righteousness, or similar?
By the way...did you tell the store manager, his staff were not dealing with the major issue correctly? Why not go to the top? Write to the shop and tell them their training of staff is all wrong as well... :wink: