Singapore Expats Forum

Children in supermarkets

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

bluenose
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed, 09 Jul 2008

Postby bluenose » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 1:31 pm

We are talking a tot playing with lettuce...not sniffing glue, or being cheeky , or robbing grannies, or smoking as a minor.
Did you not have a childhood...were you not curious of what things were...obviously not, maybe you were perfect?
If my child looked and touched the lettuce, I would not be too bothered as it's part of growing up, learning all sorts of stuff eh?
So you are telling me, you dont wash the salad then...don't ask me for dinner then, just in case I catch something from some child who may have been a little over curious :wink:

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 612
Joined: Thu, 28 Aug 2008

Postby Girl_Next_Door » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 2:10 pm

I agree that parents need to discipline the kids, but at the same time, I have also seen parents (yes in SG) who actually made their kids wear something like a leash... which I thought was a little cruel.

Anyone else saw that in Singapore too?

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10405
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 2:22 pm

bluenose wrote:We are talking a tot playing with lettuce...not sniffing glue, or being cheeky , or robbing grannies, or smoking as a minor.
Did you not have a childhood...were you not curious of what things were...obviously not, maybe you were perfect?
If my child looked and touched the lettuce, I would not be too bothered as it's part of growing up, learning all sorts of stuff eh?
So you are telling me, you dont wash the salad then...don't ask me for dinner then, just in case I catch something from some child who may have been a little over curious :wink:


Hello? She said 'loose lettuce mix' and 'tongs'. Not exactly your head of lettuce, and the little bugger needs to learn ASAP that such things are off limits. No PC about it.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34258
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 3:03 pm

She probably picked up the bad habits FROM her parents. That's why the parents don't see anything wrong with it. :x

Haven't you ever watched a Singaporean shopper in the supermarkets? pinching the food, bruising the fruit to see if it ripe and then putting it back on the shelf? It's even worse in the wet markets. :o

bluenose
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed, 09 Jul 2008

Postby bluenose » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 3:23 pm

For years there was nothing wrong with it! We all did it,our grannies did it, checked tomatoes, checked lettuces etc...made sure you got best value for your money...then the bloody PC brigade came in and now everything is a crime! Everything is an issue....
I do agree it would be great if all kids were perfect, all parents were perfect and oh what a bloody great place it would be....but it is not the end of the world is it...or maybe your lives are so mundane...telling kids off in supermarkets is the highlight for you...a wee buzz of power :wink:
Living in Singapore...people have nothing better to do with their time, than bitch at some other parents child.
Try it in europe at some cheeky ned who is mouthing off to you and probably carrying a knife...not at some three year old with dirty fingers! No, I do not think you would do it! :wink:

User avatar
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat, 06 Oct 2007

Postby road.not.taken » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 6:39 pm

bluenose wrote:For years there was nothing wrong with it! We all did it,our grannies did it, checked tomatoes, checked lettuces etc...made sure you got best value for your money...then the bloody PC brigade came in and now everything is a crime! Everything is an issue....
I do agree it would be great if all kids were perfect, all parents were perfect and oh what a bloody great place it would be....but it is not the end of the world is it...or maybe your lives are so mundane...telling kids off in supermarkets is the highlight for you...a wee buzz of power :wink:
Living in Singapore...people have nothing better to do with their time, than bitch at some other parents child.
Try it in europe at some cheeky ned who is mouthing off to you and probably carrying a knife...not at some three year old with dirty fingers! No, I do not think you would do it! :wink:


We're not talking about people thoughtfully looking over potential produce (which costs a lot of money here and we're all very lucky to get here unscathed as often as we do). We're talking aout a 3 year old given free license to play with the store's property, when the only outcome can be bad. Playing with the lettuce can hardly improve it... Am I supposed to think to myself when I see a child actively destroying something I came to the store to buy: Gosh! if I was in South Central LA I wouldn't be able to say a word, better let this precious tot here, 12,000 miles away, decide what we eat tonight?

People of my Grandmother's generation would have been appaulled by such behavior and probably soundly rapped the kid's knuckles for being so mischievious. That was a time when everyone knew the rules, and everyone knew the consequences.

Besides that, we have a little pandemic going around the world bluenose, or haven't you heard? Killed 40 million people last time it got the better of us. Why condone this type of behavior at a time like this?

rattlesnake
Regular
Regular
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu, 27 Nov 2008

Postby rattlesnake » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 6:44 pm

Bafana wrote:Pom bashing is different since we are the victims of their continued abuse. How to be racist to the worlds biggest race of racist?

On the other if you don't believe me try it. Walk up to anon-western immigrant or pr is Aussie and say this or something else in a racist way. If they know they can report it you will be in deep do do.


Name me one way pom's have "continually abused" aussies? The 2005 Ashes or 2003 Rugby World Cup don't count by the way.

Aussie's are pretty much all immigrants of one stock or another and yet their standard response to anything coming from anyone who isn't a 5th generation ancestor of a convict is "if ya don't like it, why don't ya rack off home...... maaate" - generally said with a nasally accent. Why don't you read the Aussie papers i.e. Cronulla riots, indian student bashings etc.....fair shake of the sauce bottle.... maaate.

User avatar
Bafana
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sun, 11 Apr 2004
Location: Singapore

Postby Bafana » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 3:42 am

Quasimodo wrote:Cronulla riots as a good example . . . The first response by mindless fools is 'Go home' and it happens in Australia as much as in Singapore, Malaysia, HK etc . . .


Cronulla riots caused by unchecked political correctness allowing certain minorities to get away with too much leading majority reaction to an unfair situation. Ethnic gangs are on the rise and people are fed up with it. Its not the same as a one on one slur where the law is clear which is what I am talking about.

Point takin on it happening everywhere.
Be Like Water

User avatar
Bafana
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sun, 11 Apr 2004
Location: Singapore

Postby Bafana » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 3:48 am

rattlesnake wrote:Name me one way pom's have "continually abused" aussies? The 2005 Ashes or 2003 Rugby World Cup don't count by the way.


Convict resettlement to start. Hard on the scots irish and unwashed english, not to mention the poor aborigines. From there the list goes on.
Be Like Water

rattlesnake
Regular
Regular
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu, 27 Nov 2008

Postby rattlesnake » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 5:53 am

Bafana wrote:
rattlesnake wrote:Name me one way pom's have "continually abused" aussies? The 2005 Ashes or 2003 Rugby World Cup don't count by the way.


Convict resettlement to start. Hard on the scots irish and unwashed english, not to mention the poor aborigines. From there the list goes on.


Convict settlement isn't exactly continuous is it, it didn't really effect any aussies either (other than the aborigines - even then, these weren't exactly aussies because there was no Australia). Even then, I am tipping Australia is a better place to settle than the gorbals. Fact is, continual abuse is rubbish, and Aussies, like it or not, are just like Singaporeans and a whole heap of other nationalities in this regard and if you don't like that, go home.

Plavt
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 6:01 am

rattlesnake wrote: and if you don't like that, go home.


He already is.....................

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34258
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 7:13 am

:oops!: Now he's got

Image

rattlesnake
Regular
Regular
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu, 27 Nov 2008

Postby rattlesnake » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 7:21 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote::oops!: Now he's got

Image


If you think that - you seem to have missed the context in which the comment was intended. I'll give you a hint, it wasn't exactly literal:

Image :oops!:

User avatar
vbelle
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu, 23 Apr 2009
Location: singapore

Postby vbelle » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 12:30 pm

bluenose wrote:For years there was nothing wrong with it! We all did it,our grannies did it, checked tomatoes, checked lettuces etc...made sure you got best value for your money...then the bloody PC brigade came in and now everything is a crime! Everything is an issue....
I do agree it would be great if all kids were perfect, all parents were perfect and oh what a bloody great place it would be....but it is not the end of the world is it...or maybe your lives are so mundane...telling kids off in supermarkets is the highlight for you...a wee buzz of power :wink:
Living in Singapore...people have nothing better to do with their time, than bitch at some other parents child.
Try it in europe at some cheeky ned who is mouthing off to you and probably carrying a knife...not at some three year old with dirty fingers! No, I do not think you would do it! :wink:



yeah...we all did it..checking veggies we want to buy...NOT playing with it dont we?
why do u have to be so upset by the way?
ozchick wasnt being rude im sure..someone gotta do something when they see something that is not right...
and the particular parents wasnt wise enough to accept that her kid did the wrong thing..
dont have to be so defensive...all countries have good and bad..
man...we didnt even talk about the whole country in the beginning..


baby with leash?not only in singapore...saw them lots in oz too...

bluenose
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed, 09 Jul 2008

Postby bluenose » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 12:42 pm

Upset??? I was not the one reprimanding other peoples children! Why not go to the shop staff and ask them to have a quiet word....no, not good for their wee mundane lives? Why not ask shop staff??? Answers on the back of a stamp please :wink:
If i had issues that involved something this trivial, then I have no worries eh?
I am far from upset and if I was in the situation and had seen the person reprimanding someone elses child, I would have fell about laughing....and then probably joined in with the mouthful the parent gave out and rightly so.....Live and Let Live.....in otherwise, put your own house in order first and mind your own business!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests