Singapore Expats

Children in supermarkets

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ozchick
Editor
Editor

Children in supermarkets

Post by ozchick » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 8:50 pm

Sigh...I try REALLY hard to ignore all the horrible things they do- while their parents are oblivious or sometimes even watching them lovingly as they contaminate/ destroy various goods in their wake. Well today I decided to deal with it. I saw a young boy- about 3 yr old whose mother was right beside him as he climbed up to the fresh, loose lettuce mix and played with it with both the tongs and his hands. I simply said,"Don't touch that love . People have to eat that." His mother dealt with him as I walked away but later as she walked past me she said quietly to me,
"You are SO rude". I replied, " WHO me? I'm not the one who can't control her child". She then said," Why don't you go back to your own country?"
So I simply said, "Yeah that's gonna make the lettuce safe for eating after your child has contaminated it"......
Sigh...
So what's worse, kids who do what they like in supermarkets or the ridiculous illogical parents who KNOW they're at fault but would prefer we all turn a blind eye? ...sigh :-|
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 10:37 pm

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vbelle » Fri, 12 Jun 2009 6:01 pm

parents who doesnt care if the pram they are pushing is gonna run over people toes...

and those who let their kids standing on the MRT seats...dont they know someone else gonna sit there...

who doesnt tell their kids to lower their voice when they keep screaming out loud...

gets on my nerve

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Fri, 12 Jun 2009 6:23 pm

Oh Ozchick I feel your pain. You did the right thing, absolutely. People need to be reminded there are expectations of behavior when they are in public, that their precious bundles are also expected to behave. This is not a Singaporea problem, it happens the world round.

The problem now is that the media has convinced parents that every adult who speaks to a child is up to no good, and the self-help psycho-babble industry has all parents brainwashed into thinking their child is gifted and somehow above the rules. What a dangerous combination.

I had a funny experience on a short flight a few years ago ~ two rambunctious campers headed home from summer camp sitting a few rows behind me and across the ailse. They were twin sisters about 12 who were behaving so badly (pillow fights, hair pulling, slapping each other to tears, spilling drinks, etc...) After their pillows knocked my drink over for the second time, I stood up, leaned in real close and told them I was going to call their parents and make sure they knew how badly they had behaved and tell the flight attendant so they could never fly on this airline again.

Of course it was all a big bluff, but they started crying and tried to apologize and I said: sorry girls, that won't work with me you are both in big trouble. The other passengers around me clapped :)

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:21 pm

Yeah yeah Farm-boy....but Singapore is still a wonderful place! Australian kids are WAY worse than the locals here...and I think that the expats are generally worse than the locals too when it comes to their kids in shops here. By the way...there's no rain...where is the rain?
Oz
!
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:17 pm

It rained this evening out at my place on the North East part of this red dot.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

gilysse

Post by gilysse » Sat, 13 Jun 2009 12:03 am

Oh yeah, I couldn't agree more. As a primary school teacher, I find parents these day don't educate their kids as much as they're supposed to, they let the excuse "they're just children" get to them. The other day I saw a few kids running around in Ikea, then I saw the same thing where some other kids were running in a bookstore.. Unbelievable, WHY DIDN'T THE PARENTS SAY SOMETHING!

That's why on the MRT, you see children, teenagers and youngsters sitting comfortably when there are old folks standing somewhere over the rainbow.

These things really get on my nerve, I tend to hold my anger in public but in school, oh hell, I can lecture or even scold those brats as much as they deserve!

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Sat, 13 Jun 2009 5:45 am

I find that growling or stamping a foot at them whilst hold a tine of baked beans ready for launch works best. Another neat trick is to ram them with your shopping cart - little by little and repeatedly till it start messing with their head. They can be very insecure little dears children can.

As for the mother tell her "where do you think the lettuce came from" and better yet 'you first' as she is also from migrant stock unless of Malay descent and only some Malays can claim JB/Singapura heritage lah.
Be Like Water

OogieBoogie
Regular
Regular

Post by OogieBoogie » Sat, 13 Jun 2009 7:07 pm

i really hate that Singaporean habit to say "go back to your own country" whenever a foreigner reproach them something. This is so rude, and damn stupid. In my home country this kind of reply would lead you to receive a punch in the nose.

Anyway I feel the sam about how bad a lot of kids behave even when parents are around and watching. But it's not exclusive to Singapore, it was about the same in Japan. Only difference was the mother tried to say something, and 70% of the time the kid just ignored her.

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Sun, 14 Jun 2009 5:26 am

OogieBoogie wrote:i really hate that Singaporean habit to say "go back to your own country" whenever a foreigner reproach them something. This is so rude, and damn stupid. In my home country this kind of reply would lead you to receive a punch in the nose.
Absolutely. In Aussie you could get charged by the police or get sued for this kind of statement which is borderline racist if somewhere south of the border already.
Be Like Water

rattlesnake
Regular
Regular

Post by rattlesnake » Sun, 14 Jun 2009 9:44 am

Bafana wrote:
OogieBoogie wrote:i really hate that Singaporean habit to say "go back to your own country" whenever a foreigner reproach them something. This is so rude, and damn stupid. In my home country this kind of reply would lead you to receive a punch in the nose.
Absolutely. In Aussie you could get charged by the police or get sued for this kind of statement which is borderline racist if somewhere south of the border already.
No - it gets said in Aussie all the time. If you're an Aussie it never gets said to you but have you ever heard anyone tell a whinging pom to go home if they don't like the place (insert any nationality in place of pom). It even gets said in the media.

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 4:31 am

Pom bashing is different since we are the victims of their continued abuse. How to be racist to the worlds biggest race of racist?

On the other if you don't believe me try it. Walk up to anon-western immigrant or pr is Aussie and say this or something else in a racist way. If they know they can report it you will be in deep do do.
Be Like Water

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 10:44 am

Bafana wrote:Pom bashing is different since we are the victims of their continued abuse. How to be racist to the worlds biggest race of racist?

On the other if you don't believe me try it. Walk up to anon-western immigrant or pr is Aussie and say this or something else in a racist way. If they know they can report it you will be in deep do do.
Bullshit . . . are you so in tune with how people of different races are spoken to by Aussies?

Cronulla riots as a good example . . . The first response by mindless fools is 'Go home' and it happens in Australia as much as in Singapore, Malaysia, HK etc . . .
One in the hand is worth two of something

bluenose
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bluenose » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:38 pm

Most people I know would wash vegetables and salad when they get home anyway, so don't see a problem.
You suggest we police the salad and vegetable bar for wandering mits then?
Get a life and step away from the PC paranoia!
I think you should look at the control issues...or better still why an innocent child can affect you so much :wink:

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vbelle » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 1:12 pm

bluenose wrote:Most people I know would wash vegetables and salad when they get home anyway, so don't see a problem.
You suggest we police the salad and vegetable bar for wandering mits then?
Get a life and step away from the PC paranoia!
I think you should look at the control issues...or better still why an innocent child can affect you so much :wink:
and why would you let your kids doing inappropriate things? cause we can just wash the lettuce later?