Singapore Expats

Children in supermarkets

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 6:04 pm

bluenose, it sounds like you are not a parent and that you haven't lived here very long.

I'm with you on this one Ozchick. Sometimes parents react with indignation, when they are really just embarrassed.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 8:35 pm

bluenose wrote:You win....we should all turn into Veggie police :wink:
Next time I am in I will try it...any qualifications needed? Maybe a degree in self righteousness, or similar?
By the way...did you tell the store manager, his staff were not dealing with the major issue correctly? Why not go to the top? Write to the shop and tell them their training of staff is all wrong as well... :wink:
Hey some great ideas there! And I'm really tired of the colours some shoppers wear in the supermarket- AND the way some of them walk!
And for goodness sake- the things they put in their trolleys! What a pathetic lot they are!!
Yep - I'm on a roll now!! :cool:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Thu, 18 Jun 2009 4:53 am

Don't want to be veggie police. Let them do what they want but teach them about consequences (both the parent and the child). Still think my harassment approach works best as they won't know what to think and gain some paranoia when they shop.
Be Like Water

bluenose
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bluenose » Thu, 18 Jun 2009 12:12 pm

Road Not Taken....detective you are not....veggie police maybe :wink:
Yes I have children and yes I have been here long enough....my son has probably picked up things in the shop as he is allowed to be a child and children are curious....and yes I draw the line at damaging goods.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Thu, 18 Jun 2009 5:51 pm

Oh believe me, my jurisdiction isn't limited to the produce aisle. What struck me about your post is that you thought the management would do something to fix the situation. I have never, ever seen that here. Not when diners were throwing food at other patrons, not when kids were wiping snot on sofas, not when aunties were opening up the jars of pasta sauce to smell each one. Management has perfected to ritualistic smile and the awkward posture, but they usually throw their hands up and pray you'll go away.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Thu, 18 Jun 2009 6:42 pm

OK so a situation I had at a Cs store today - 10:30AM (yay took a day of work!). Nice mum and toddlerish - I would have guessed about 4 - I am no judge of children's ages so bear with me - I thought about the same age as one of our nephews. Little girl waiting for mum in the checkout - mum paying for stuff - lets little girl wander around. Mum seemed more concerned about something on the cash register.

Meanwhile, little girl opens up a battery pack that was next to the checkout. Hmm, ok does Mr. P swing in to save the day, or let the little dear swallow the four AAA batteries, which she so AWESPMELY unwrapped (I can't undo those!). One was sliding down her throat.

In the mean time, mummy, was asking where "Anna" was. Eyes and mind was elsewhere until she MADE SURE she wasn't getting ripped off on the one item she bought - a steam cooker, on special.

So what would the nay-sayers do?

I'm not going to say what I did because I think this is an interesting thread and I don't want the usual trolls to buy into it.

Mr. P (yay for a day off!)

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Thu, 18 Jun 2009 8:13 pm

If a child is doing something dangerous - by all means say something! If not just to the child, also to the parent. I would be very thankful if someone spoke up to prevent an accident. I'd also be buying yet another pack of batteries. I would never have a problem with someone speaking up about something one of my children were doing... sometimes they do get up to stuff and need to be told. I am, however, pretty big on having my kid sit in the cart and we open various snacks along the way... not the most economical... but keeps the hands busy :)
Kids are kids - and they are curious by nature - but I suppose every parent has a different idea of what is acceptable behavior.