Singapore Expats

Views of Old Singapore.......

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Views of Old Singapore.......

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Jun 2009 6:10 pm

Where was this photo taken in Singapore? (Hint. It was taken in 1982 by me)

The lucky winner who correctly guesses the location has to post the next picture and so on and so on.....

Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

LoriW
Regular
Regular

Post by LoriW » Tue, 09 Jun 2009 6:15 pm

National day parade on the Padang? Think I was there in 1982

akhild
Regular
Regular

Post by akhild » Tue, 09 Jun 2009 7:14 pm

omg!!

i can see dbs building (only) in the background!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:56 am

While we are waiting for LoriW to post her pic I thought I'd post another from 1982 taken from Clifford Pier showing some of the Fullerton Building and the lack of High Rise Buildings at the time. Enjoy.

While we wait for JP's contribution here's another moldy oldie of an area that is quite popular today. I've seen a few changes since I took this photo I'll tell you!. I hope LariW can find some of the 70-80's photos at her dad's house!

Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

LoriW
Regular
Regular

Post by LoriW » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 2:11 pm

Lol SMS - that one's Clarke Quay! In fact the "new" Clarke Quay still freaks me out!! Enough to turn down a freebie night out there courtesy of my new boss!

If I start rooting around at dear Daddykin's photo albums, I can probably find pics back to just after the war .......... shame I have to move to Singapore in 3 weeks time or I'd cart the albums home and we could go on forever!! ;)

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 7:07 pm

wait till i dig out a foto of singapore airline concorde!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 10:34 pm

Had to dig these out on a ex squaddies blog 1970 sorry i couldn't wait to answer one, of the others, I think they should all be uploaded to the same place for old times sake!

[/img]

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:10 pm

Well, the purpose of this thread has now be blown to smithereens! :o

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:20 pm

Here is a good site for looking at Singapore in the Past. It's a government site of the National Archives of Singapore - PICAS

Please do not copy and paste any of those photos onto this site though.

Enjoy Singapore's photo history (I've spend many hours on this site).

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 12 Jun 2009 2:26 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Well, the purpose of this thread has now be blown to smithereens! :o
And you blew it yourself! :lol: by not waiting, although i have also not named the place's and the first one you would be wrong anyway.
SMS Says: While we are waiting for LoriW to post her pic I thought I'd post another from 1982 taken from Clifford Pier showing some of the Fullerton Building and the lack of High Rise Buildings at the time. Enjoy.
SMS: While we wait for JP's contribution here's another moldy oldie of an area that is quite popular today. I've seen a few changes since I took this photo I'll tell you!. I hope LariW can find some of the 70-80's photos at her dad's house!
What are we supposed to do wait until doomsday? You couldn't but your pics are well worth the trouble, does that mean my pics are less favourable? Besides bigfilsing is far too busy getting pissed to reply, and JP well for a photographer, he's got to pull out the ultimate rabbit!Otherwise there are no experts that are focussed :lol: and what's it all about anyway, but history! It's no big deal who was here first, or who can find the most difficult place to identify or is it? Becuase if that is the case, my camera went off many times pointing at nothing and JP would have to be more better detective than sherlock holmes and i doubt that.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 12 Jun 2009 9:22 am

ksl,

No, this is just general observations of Singapore. Some things we probably see everyday but don't see them at all. Some are out of the way, others are right under you noses. Some are interesting and some are just odd depending on the perspective. It's just for something to do. This should be even more fun than the last time we ran it some 3 years ago or so as now almost everybody has a cellphone with camera facilities so new photos ought to be easy to come up with. Especially with the hint here or there.

Come on Singapore Explorers! :cool:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 12 Jun 2009 9:24 am

Okay, Seeing I contributed to the problem, I have split the old from today. Here we can post the old memorabilia and the other thread we can continue with out sleuthing of Singapore of today! :cool:

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:52 am

I haven't been in Singapore long enough to have real old pics... but one of my hobbies is faking it. All the following pics are from 2004-2005 :cool:

Start off easy...

More kampong idyll

Formerly on the way to the above, but no longer there

In quite a prominent position until a few years ago, but demolished as well

And I'll be really impressed if someone gets this one!

And here's more of the same from Tokyo.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 12 Jun 2009 2:48 pm

Is/Was the last photo up around Kent Ridge?

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Sat, 13 Jun 2009 4:17 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Is/Was the last photo up around Kent Ridge?
Ka-ching! Pepys Rd on the way to Bukit Chandu, right next to Kent Ridge. You can see the dark bulk of the Pasir Panjang Rd viaduct in the top left corner.

And the rest?
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague