Singapore Expats

Views of Old Singapore.......

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 13 Jun 2009 5:50 pm

jpatokal wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Is/Was the last photo up around Kent Ridge?
Ka-ching! Pepys Rd on the way to Bukit Chandu, right next to Kent Ridge. You can see the dark bulk of the Pasir Panjang Rd viaduct in the top left corner.

And the rest?
Number 3 is 378/9 Changi Rd, because the sign says it is. :lol: Number 1 & 2 is also Changi Village area because i think i have been stood in the same spot viewing the site at number 1, wondering if anyone was living over there.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 13 Jun 2009 6:16 pm

The first two, I'm pretty sure are from P. Ubin

The third speaks for itself but I remember it from my old bike riding days in the late 90's on old changi road.

The OUB Godown I want to say Clark or Robertson Quay for the obvious reasons. But, for some reason Boat Quay keeps creeping into my memory saying it was there. I seem to have remembered seeing it while shooting an SBC Chinese Drama Series I was participating in back around 1989/90. So I'll say Boat Quay. Probably wrong on this one.

I was pretty sure the last was at Pepy's Road but couldn't remember the exact road name so just used Kent Ridge.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:26 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The first two, I'm pretty sure are from P. Ubin
Korek!
The third speaks for itself but I remember it from my old bike riding days in the late 90's on old changi road.
Yup -- to be more precise, it's the little shop at the old Pulau Ubin jetty. Both jetty and shop are now gone.
The OUB Godown I want to say Clark or Robertson Quay for the obvious reasons.
...and you would have been correct! This was right next to Gallery Hotel, and was demolished a few years back to make way for a condo, which still incorporates the facade:

(on the right side)
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 3:49 pm

Here's one for any Yanks on here who happen to be over 40. I took my girlfriend out here several times the first three years I was here in my old '72 Cortina stationwagon. Unfortunately it's no longer around (both the Drive-in and the Cortina!). It used to be next to the Japanese Gardens on Yuan Ching Road. It closed in Sept 1985 citing poor attendance due to video pirating.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 4:57 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Here's one for any Yanks on here who happen to be over 40. I took my girlfriend out here several times the first three years I was here in my old '72 Cortina stationwagon. Unfortunately it's no longer around (both the Drive-in and the Cortina!). It used to be next to the Japanese Gardens on Yuan Ching Road. It closed in Sept 1985 citing poor attendance due to video pirating.

Now i will bet that was a fun time! :lol: pity you have no video footage of all the car suspension systems :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 5:24 pm

Would have like to have a video of the Cortina's suspension! :P Why do you think I have a wagon!