Singapore Expats

replacement for sonos ??

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
UK-HK-SIN

replacement for sonos ??

Post by UK-HK-SIN » Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:44 am

I have a sonos multi room system which I can not get to work properly. I am fully prepared to accept that it is me that is stupid but it is not as easy as it was made out to be ........ ANYWAY. Does anyone have multi room music system that does similar things that I can replace it with ???

It basically plays all my CD's from a harddrive and I can access BBC radio 1 via real player on the internet and have it play through out the house.

The problem is in Singapore because of how singtel works I can not have the system set up to play wirelessly because it is supposed to go through the internet..... ;(

My husbands wants a Yamaha receiver which he says will do a similar job.... I am reluctant because it costs an arm and a leg....... anybody any thoughts ???

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 8:25 am

I'm not really familiar with the system you stated but have donw something similar using a very simple LINKSYS wireless bridge.

Cheap and works. Of course you need a playback device in each area of speakers but this is the simplest set up i can think of to pipe music around the house.
http://www-sg.linksys.com/servlet/Satel ... 2985505B04

You can also use one of their media extenders for audio and video
http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/DMA2100

Good luck

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 9:44 pm

Why not get the Singtel Mio wireless TV modem? Surely that can manage through the internet connection and it's digital VOIP with two lines for two telephones over the internet, I have one not opened :wink:

We took the Mio TV package with free channels for 1 year.

UK-HK-SIN

Post by UK-HK-SIN » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 1:13 pm

i have the singtel wireless modem and it is because of this I can't have multi room with my sonos system. if i could access the internet via the telephone socket in my other rooms instead of wirelessly I would be in business but I can't .......I am not too sure of the techie reasons but that is basically it. I am going to look at the LINKSYS system and see if it is better. At the moment the only way I am getting music in every room is to simply play it LOUD !!! :lol:

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 1:35 pm

I had problems with wireless systems in HK and Singapore, according to the reps its because the systems have been designed for US or European type buildings ie a lot of plasterboard type partitioning as opposed to the reinforce concrete wall in condo, all the steelworks causes interference. which if you ask me is a bit of BS as sure the main structural walls are RC, but most of the internal walls are light wt breeze blocks.

If you cant connect through the phone/cat 5 sockets have to tried Aztech home plugs? converts your 240v socket to a Ethernet point? I just so happen to have a few lying around you are welcome to try them and if they work cross my plam with silver and they are yours. The new place I am staying has the network cabling already installed so I don't need them.

http://www.aztech.com/prod_homeplug_hl109e.html

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 10:18 pm

So you just really need to experiment with the positioning, because the modem send and receive signal is a little on the weak side for these kind of buildings...and I had problems connecting my notebook to the internet on the wireless upstairs in the rooms because the modem is close to the TV in the lounge, I had to move it around a few meters to find the correct position, to get the signal upstairs.

Wireless does work off direct waves, line of sight, and you can occasional pick up the signal, by bouncing it, but it will not go through concrete this is when the signal will just bounce off and around a room. Try to think of the signal like a ripple in calm water, when you drop a stone in still water, the waves extends, until they hit a solid and bounce back or it continues until it fades.

QRM method is worth trying or you can buy a signal booster for the hall way, it acts like a remote rebroadcast of the signal and is probably more powerful on the sender side than your sono.

All line of sight signals are the same and do not go through solid material unless it is conducting the the signal on that frequency range, so positioning is very important

mpap

Post by mpap » Fri, 24 Jul 2009 5:00 pm

Hi UK-HK-SIN, I've been using a Squeezebox which is a little techie to setup, but works well and I believe is very similar to the Sonos.
It has just clapped out (after 3 years) and rather expensive to replace, so please PM me if you are interested in selling your Sonos. Thanks.

jm2110

Post by jm2110 » Wed, 26 Aug 2009 9:36 am

UK-HK-SIN - Did you ever get a replacement for your sonos system?

If you are interested in selling your used Sonos let me know as I am interested in purchasing.

music-lover

Post by music-lover » Sat, 14 Aug 2010 10:58 am

jm2110 - I dont think anyone will want to sell their sonos, its just an amazing sound system!

I can recommend a shop to you if you like.
http://www.tcacoustic.com.sg/sonos.aspx

good luck! (:

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Sat, 14 Aug 2010 11:25 am

Other have really covered the salient points.

Aztech for more ethernet points around the house.

Alternatives for Sonos are Logitech Squeezebox Touch, or the Linn Knekt.

The Squeeze is going to be cheaper than Sonons (and sound it) and the Linn more expensive (and sound it). The Linn stuff is pure audiophile.

If you're interested in the Squeezebox, I know an excellent company here in Singapore - I won't post details as I don't want to be seen to be spamming adverts. PM if you want details. They also do invisible speakers, invisible wiring etc.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 14 Aug 2010 12:20 pm

CG, you are welcome to post links to recommended companies. We actually prefer that so all of our readers can benefit including the lurkers. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

simonc

Sonos ZP120

Post by simonc » Fri, 03 Dec 2010 9:49 am

You still selling? SMS me 92975961. Thinking of buying. Simon