Singapore Expats Forum

flying to melbourne -should I cancel b/c of swine flu?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

bkkmum

flying to melbourne -should I cancel b/c of swine flu?

Postby bkkmum » Mon, 08 Jun 2009 1:40 pm

I am due to go to Melbourne next week for a holiday and am very unsure whether I should still go because of the swine flu situation there. (there have been over 900 cases in melb). I am travelling with my two children (aged 4 and 10) so dont want to put them at risk.

I know that the flu is not that dangerous if caught early and if you are healthy - in Australia noone with the disease has been hospitalised, just told to stay at home and take the antivirals, but I am worried that if someone on the plane has it and then I return to Singapore then the kids and I will be quarantined for a week and then in the worst case scenario, if one of us gets it, then we are transported to a hospital somewhere...

What would you do in my situation???

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter

Re: flying to melbourne -should I cancel b/c of swine flu?

Postby Nath21 » Mon, 08 Jun 2009 9:27 pm

bkkmum wrote:I am due to go to Melbourne next week for a holiday and am very unsure whether I should still go because of the swine flu situation there. (there have been over 900 cases in melb). I am travelling with my two children (aged 4 and 10) so dont want to put them at risk.

I know that the flu is not that dangerous if caught early and if you are healthy - in Australia noone with the disease has been hospitalised, just told to stay at home and take the antivirals, but I am worried that if someone on the plane has it and then I return to Singapore then the kids and I will be quarantined for a week and then in the worst case scenario, if one of us gets it, then we are transported to a hospital somewhere...

First issue 900 cases in a population of 4 million is not high and your chances of catching it are slim unless your on public transport and its less infectious and life threatning as normal flu. You probably have more chance of your kids getting dengue fever here in Singapore.

"Three people have died from dengue and there have been 4,029 cases of the disease in the first 27 weeks of the year, a figure which is up sharply from 1,679 in the same period last year."

So the real question is will Singapore authorities overreact and hosptilise you and put your name on the front page and get feedback about how your a public health care danger and say you could kill people. Probably yes.

Statistically your probably going to get knifed or robbed more than catch the swine flu in Melbourne.

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:31 am

With two children I'd think about it . . .

Yes, you may have a higher chance of getting knifed or mugged but if you can avoid a potential risk then you should do so.
One in the hand is worth two of something

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Nath21 » Tue, 09 Jun 2009 12:53 pm

The only problem with "avoiding risk" as you state is that her children are more at risk to much deadlier diseases such as Malaria and Dengue fever here in Singapore than Australia.

Would anyone travel if they thought I could catch a cold in another country I must avoid the risk? The swine flu has been shown to be milder than normal flu. The initial reaction was obviosuly because of limited knowledge now there is more knowledge and I am suprised its still even on the health radar.

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Tue, 09 Jun 2009 4:14 pm

What you say is true, but she lives in Singapore, so she is living with that 'risk'. Adding another factor may not make sense to her.

As per the swine flu being milder than the common - I don't think that is the case, nor is the full extent of the 'epidemic' known yet.

For us, we'd travel to Oz regardless . . . but it is worth a thought.
One in the hand is worth two of something

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Tue, 09 Jun 2009 5:50 pm

bkkmum wrote:I am due to go to Melbourne next week for a holiday and am very unsure whether I should still go because of the swine flu situation there. (there have been over 900 cases in melb). I am travelling with my two children (aged 4 and 10) so dont want to put them at risk.

When I cam back from Oz 2 weeks ago I noticed several people on the plane wearing breathing masks- like they've had at the hospitals here recently...Is this maybe an option for you? Or have them with you if anyone close by you is coughing and spluttering? But yeah...good question...especially when you have young kids....
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:50 am

ozchick wrote:When I cam back from Oz 2 weeks ago I noticed several people on the plane wearing breathing masks- like they've had at the hospitals here recently...Is this maybe an option for you? Or have them with you if anyone close by you is coughing and spluttering?

Masks are mildly useful if you are already sick and don't want to infect others, since they catch the biggest drops of mucus etc -- but they're nearly useless for protecting yourself, since flu viruses can easily pass through.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:50 pm

With over 1000 infected and rapidly rising in Oz alone, the death-toll mounting . . . yes, it is a valid question.

'nuff said Image