Singapore Expats Forum

Local-expat marriages - failure rates.....

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
veggie72

Local-expat marriages - failure rates.....

Postby veggie72 » Mon, 08 Jun 2009 9:25 am

Hi all,

As we become more global, we tend to get out of our socio-racial shells and venture into relationships with partners who do not belong to our community. And if marriage ensues that's when problems seem to begin! I can tel this from firts-hand experiences. Would there be people with similar experiences out there? Anyone who has/is married to a Caucasian or is dating one care to comment on this issue? I am looking at a network of friendship for people in such situations. You can drop me a note at springofbliss@hotmail.com
Last edited by veggie72 on Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Jun 2009 12:20 pm

Why would we need a "network" of friendship? Obviously we interact better than most as we have already crossed racial and cultural boundaries by the very act of having a partner not of our same community.

I'm not too sure what you're on about. I've been in a mixed marriage for over 25 years and don't see any problems at all. And you? From your posts, I'd say your problem might be due to your inflexibility as you are a teetotaler and non-smoking vegan. You seem to be limiting yourself in your interactions with others rather than there being an inherent problem. It seems it's one of your own doing. (Oh, my wife isn't a vegan, but she is a teetotaler and non-smoker. I used to do both until 4 years ago - didn't hurt us).

Edited due to really crappy typing!
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Mon, 08 Jun 2009 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Re: Local-expat marriages - failure rates.....

Postby QRM » Mon, 08 Jun 2009 12:27 pm

veggie72 wrote:who do not belong to our community.

Scary... there are people who still think or at least see nothing wrong with saying it like that.

Some people have not learned anything from the brown shirts saga.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Jun 2009 2:45 pm

It would appear that OP is local and I'm guessing possibly a Hindu. OP may not have studied European History specifically with a slant on Europe (seems many haven't here hence the rather ignorant flaunting of the Swastika on T's and so forth. When asked, they don't even know what the Swastika or Iron Cross stood for in Modern History. (The Buddhist Swastika sits flat and not on it's corners and is generally red).

So much for having intelligent conversations..... :wink:

Dr_H

Re: Local-expat marriages - failure rates.....

Postby Dr_H » Mon, 08 Jun 2009 6:25 pm

veggie72 wrote:Hi all,

As we become more global, we tend to get out of our socio-racial shells and venture into relationships with partners who do not belong to our community. And if marriage ensues that's when problems seem to begin! I can tel this from firts-hand experiences. Would there be people with similar experiences out there? Anyone who has/is married to a Caucasian or is dating one care to comment on this issue? I am looking at a network of friendship for people in such situations. You can drop me a note at springofbliss@hotmail.com

Oh so so bitter a pill is reality ....Please don't blame interracial relationships for your problems .. If you are not too smart, you should stick to basics .. leave the advanced stuff for smarter experienced people. Like the wise old sms .. I sometimes wish i was not so perceptive to pick up on people's insecurities this easily (wise old men inclusive).
...he has no ambition and no energy. He will not even go out of his way to verify his own solutions, and would rather be considered wrong than take the trouble to prove himself right........

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Jun 2009 6:38 pm

I see preparation-H has crawled out from under his rock again. It's a shame he's not half and perceptive as he thinks he is. :wave:

Dr_H

Postby Dr_H » Mon, 08 Jun 2009 8:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I see preparation-H has crawled out from under his rock again. It's a shame he's not half and perceptive as he thinks he is. :wave:

If you managed to type a single sentence without sounding like a drunk .. I might actually seriously consider what you are saying ..

I am always receptive to INTELLIGENT criticism like "you say X, but really it is Y .. so you are not perceptive because you mistook Y for X". Instead all you have ever managed to utter are .. "you are not smart ... you are silly .. you are not as good as you think you are .. I am a genius ..all because I say so "... very reminiscent of toddlers not of self-proclaimed wise old men. Could senility be rearing its ugly head?
...he has no ambition and no energy. He will not even go out of his way to verify his own solutions, and would rather be considered wrong than take the trouble to prove himself right........