Singapore Expats

EMPLOYERS BEING UNPROFESSIONAL - Looking for your advise

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 23 Aug 2010 11:23 pm

quim wrote:hi singaporeflyer, thanks for your reply.

do you know how to cancel the pass? is it only through eponline or can we do it manually (MOM Counters)?
It can be done through EP Online by your current employer or your current employer can give a cancellation letter for your pass and you can submit that at the MOM and get it cancelled

quim

Post by quim » Tue, 24 Aug 2010 10:15 am

one last :D is it possible to surrender the existing pass at the time that i go to MOM to submit my medical form and IPA (request for issuance of the pas)?

thank you very much! i am also trying to reach MOM but I cannot get through as of the moment.

oooooo

Post by oooooo » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 1:06 am

Hi all, I am first time applying job in Singapore. Recently I went for interview with company A and on the spot they want me to accept the offer or i will lost it... Then I verbally accepted the offer. So, they applied EP for me, now the IPA is ready to collect.

Now I have a company B offer me in sg as well with better offer. The situation now is like this. Tat company A refuse to cancel my ep application which i didn't fill up or put my pen to any paper with them. The reason gave was big boss very angry and looking for compensation. Do they really have the right on it?

The company B informed me they are unable to apply EP for me since the online system shown my ep attached with company A....

I don't want to be drag by them...What can I do? complaint with MOM? Company B urged me to join them asap... really tension right now...

*update*
The A company HR inform me that my EP is applied thru agency. It can not be cancel online. They have to issue a letter with signature by their MD to that agency to withdraw my application.
Now the problem is their MD was in business trip for a week.
That means my issue will be drag for another week. Should I immd lodge a complaint to MOM on this issue? I really really wish to settle this asap.....

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 1:58 pm

Its obvious they want to mess you about so go to MOM and explain. They have no right, if you signed nothing! Company B may be able to submit manually, discuss with MOM.

oooooo

Post by oooooo » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 11:34 pm

6438 5122 I called this number in my home country during office hour but not able to reach..only managed to reached after the office hour.

Anyhow, i had wrote an enquiry letter to MOM about my case. Do I doing the right thing? I just scared will be banned or black listed by MOM because of my unethical attitude.

esteelauder

Post by esteelauder » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 5:36 pm

:???: it so complicated... but very weird ler.. haha2 u not even sign the form and yet theyhave apply for u?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 6:03 pm

Not so funny really. Why have the new employee sign a contract unless they can confirm he can get an EP? We never have the employee sign a contract unless we have the AIP. Only then can we actually offer him a job. Until MOM agrees that we can offer, by issuing the AIP, we cannot legally hold him to a contract as we ourselves cannot uphold our end of the bargain.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 6:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Not so funny really. Why have the new employee sign a contract unless they can confirm he can get an EP? We never have the employee sign a contract unless we have the AIP. Only then can we actually offer him a job. Until MOM agrees that we can offer, by issuing the AIP, we cannot legally hold him to a contract as we ourselves cannot uphold our end of the bargain.
SMS,
You are right. But I have seen few contracts which get signed saying that only on approval of EP by MOM the offer terms will hold good?

What is the proof that will make the person bounded to the company applying for EP?

oooooo

Post by oooooo » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 7:04 pm

SMS, can you give me some advice for my case? Since I saw u did provided many valuable information on others thread.

What i can do if that company refuse to discuss with me on this case anymore? Is it i have to wait the EP or IPA expire itself? how long the IPA valid for?

Because when I called the HR, she always give me some unreasonable excuses she not able to withdraw the previous EP application.

Can I send them a reminder email to request them give me a reply within this week, else I will use this letter to lodge a report to MOM officially? coz they unwilling to discuss with me on this matter?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 8:12 pm

Take all your paperwork and march down to MOM. Tell them you want to withdraw your EP application/AIP with CompanyA(gency) manually as the company refuses to do so and you have not yet started to work nor have you collected your EP. Then, once that is completed, contact CompanyB and tell them to apply for your EP.

Or, if you are not in Singapore (which it sound like) then write a letter to MOM explaining that you do not want the job with CompanyA but they are refusing to withdraw the AIP.

However, be advised, that CompanyB cannot guarantee that you have an AIP with them as they cannot make application yet. It's always possible that you could end up with nothing. But that is a gamble that only you can decide the worth of.

Scroll up this thread to vinsebby's posts and my replies. Do what he did. The scenario is the same.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

oooooo

Post by oooooo » Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:41 pm

I had lodge a report via email for my issue to MOM on 3rd of Sept.. but till this moment i still havent get any feedback from MOM at all.

really anxiety me at this moment.... even i called them ask for update, the officer juz ask me to wait for few more days... but is almost 2 week passed...

Sigh~~~ I cant even sleep well recently becoz of this.. my god!!

oooooo

Post by oooooo » Sun, 26 Sep 2010 1:00 am

SMS, I need your advise agian...
Now i really in the situation like end up with nothing.

MOM CSO informed me that the action which they only can do is write a letter to request the employer withdraw my IPA, and they can not do anything if the employer still unwilling to withdraw it and i have to wait until the IPA expired by itself... :mad:

I really thought MOM able to help me on this, but now, i really upset with the answer they gave to me.

Can you advise me what i should do next? I really out of idea.... call back the employer to beg them withdraw my IPA? or i should find other government sector to settle my case?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 Sep 2010 12:03 pm

You will have to remember that currently the MOM is being directed by the powers that be in the run-up to the national elections sometime early next year. They are looking for any method that will let them refuse an employment pass legally. By rights, they can, as noted, refuse to do anything other than request that the employer withdraw the application, by doing this, the other company is prevented from applying and you may well be forced to accept company A's offer. Which, because of your kiasu'ness let them know you want to leave for greener pastures before you even start, will probably find you finally agreeing to pick up the job and then they may well be spiteful and subsequently cancel the AIP. That would effectively zap you from both positions.

I have always recommended going through with the first position and at least work out the initial contract (or at least 12 months if the EP is for more than that) before jumping to another company. At least that way you already have a position to fall back on because once you have your EP, a potential employer CAN apply for an AIP before you commit and resign. But it's a bloody mess if you have an existing AIP and then try to jump ship. You short circuit the system and ending up getting burned by both employers.

Oh, one other thing, there is no other arm/agency of the government that can help you with dealing with MOM or IRAS or ICA. Each of them are gods that answer to nobody else (short of parliament).

As far as the earlier posters case, you will have to remember that that was in June 2009. The massive changes due to the "too many foreigners says the ground" took place during the months of Sept ~ Nov 2009, after the earlier posters got sorted. Today, MOM is looking for any way to reduce or prevent or send back foreigners (even renewals are being rejected).

sgtrying

Post by sgtrying » Sun, 10 Oct 2010 9:08 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Not so funny really. Why have the new employee sign a contract unless they can confirm he can get an EP? We never have the employee sign a contract unless we have the AIP. Only then can we actually offer him a job. Until MOM agrees that we can offer, by issuing the AIP, we cannot legally hold him to a contract as we ourselves cannot uphold our end of the bargain.
SMS,
You are right. But I have seen few contracts which get signed saying that only on approval of EP by MOM the offer terms will hold good?

What is the proof that will make the person bounded to the company applying for EP?

How about that situation? Contract was signed first, then IPA was approved, but later felt that you don't want to work with them, so you didn't collect the IPA(prerequisite for getting the EP was not done, fingerprint, photo, etc) from them. Can you just resign? Are you bound to the contract terms?

cutiedoggy

Post by cutiedoggy » Sun, 04 Dec 2011 7:09 pm

sorry to bring up this thread again.

I'm a singaporean but i just stand the treatment my fellow colleagues is getting. there's two foreigners, an indian and china, both s pass holders yet the company we're working for is underpaying them and i really hope i can do smth to help them as well as report about the company.

shes only getting a pay of 1.3k whereas the china guy is getting ard 700+ odd. i know there's a minimum pay for s pass holders, i wanna report to mom but the thing is, both signed a contract, will the report be nulled since they sort of 'agreed' to it?