Singapore Expats Forum

Moving to Singapore - self employed

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34789
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:07 pm

ksl wrote:Now the big huff is how can? Isn't it also a possibility that the EP holder must also submit a business plan, for the registration takes effect, I would not think so because an EP is classified as not normally resident. I couldn't find anything that excludes outsiders registering business in Singapore. in Business rules & regulations. who knows? MOM can only stop you residing here to work, they cannot stop you registering a business! That is the main issue.


Taken from the same site:

Does a foreigner who wants to register a business or a company with the Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) need to have an EntrePass?

An EntrePass is necessary for a foreigner seeking to register a business or company. He also needs a SingPass password or an ACRA ID. Alternatively, he can e-file through a third-party professional firm.
Please note that an Employment Pass holder is eligible for SingPass.


Kinda answers your question don't it. So at the end of the day, the EP holder needs to file an EntrePass as SE said. That's why it doesn't specifically mention Employment Pass holder as SE mentioned. The EP holder still has to file an Entrepass Application which means a business plan the same as if he were not yet present in Singapore. Additionally, he also has to file a letter of consent from the Employer if he wants to apply for an EP with his new company, provided it's approved in the first place.

:-|

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 12:20 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ksl wrote:Now the big huff is how can? Isn't it also a possibility that the EP holder must also submit a business plan, for the registration takes effect, I would not think so because an EP is classified as not normally resident. I couldn't find anything that excludes outsiders registering business in Singapore. in Business rules & regulations. who knows? MOM can only stop you residing here to work, they cannot stop you registering a business! That is the main issue.


Taken from the same site:

Does a foreigner who wants to register a business or a company with the Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) need to have an EntrePass?

An EntrePass is necessary for a foreigner seeking to register a business or company. He also needs a SingPass password or an ACRA ID. Alternatively, he can e-file through a third-party professional firm.
Please note that an Employment Pass holder is eligible for SingPass.


You can twist it as much as you like, You are telling people that are on Employment Pass, that they cannot register a damn business for god sake man, you only need the entrepass if you are running the business. You do not need it to register a business. OMG :roll: If the Employment pass holder is employed, he will not get an entrepass...it does not stop him starting his own business :roll: And even if he does have to provide a business plan, he is still not getting an entrepass while he his on emplyment pass and engaged...he can be employed by his own company if it is approved after his contract is terminated.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34789
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 12:44 am

ksl, I'm not sure what you are imbibing tonight, and I'm not sure why you are taking issue with me? I never said anything about registering a company (the government did) and my quote is from the same site that you quoted from. I believe if you will reread things you will find that you need to file an EntrePass to register and business if you are a foreigner "who is not on a long term pass" which means, PR, DP or LTSVP. You have got it backwards when you say:
You can twist it as much as you like, You are telling people that are on Employment Pass, that they cannot register a damn business for god sake man, you only need the entrepass if you are joining the business. You do not need it to register a business.


The bold is patently wrong. You have it reversed and you are the one who is twisting things. Go back and read the site FAQ's again. You do need it if you are a foreigner NOT ON A LONG TERM PASS. By Defnintion a long term pass, as defined by the government is a Dependent's Pass (DP), Permanent Residence (PR) OR a Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP).

If you are on an EP (meaning Employment Pass), that is not considered a long term pass (by the Government) so therefore, as quoted, you need to file for an EntrePass in order to register a company. Please read the following once again.....

Does a foreigner who wants to register a business or a company with the Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) need to have an EntrePass?

An EntrePass is necessary for a foreigner seeking to register a business or company.


And now, I got to shut it down for the evening. nite all.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 1:58 am

I'm not taking issue at all, I just think we are shooting arrows at eachother SE included. There is a big misunderstanding here, the actual registration with ACRA doesn't require any form of pass at all, the activation of the business is something else which MOM approve. Yes entrepass is needed for a foreigner. to do business here, though like it says, if the foreigner is not running the business....he doesn't need to apply for the entre pass. a business visa visa will do..he doesn't require

If he has appointed local managers.

The issue was about registering a business, lets not forget that! No way do you need MOM approval first. There is a step by step guide on registering the business, and no mention of MOM at all. Lets see what SE comes up with.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34789
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 7:18 am

ksl wrote:
The issue was about registering a business, lets not forget that! No way do you need MOM approval first. There is a step by step guide on registering the business, and no mention of MOM at all. Lets see what SE comes up with.


And there is the crux of the problem. The issue was NOT about registering a business but basically one of how to be employed by your own company here and be able to stay here legally although I believe like the three of us, we are not getting the message across. SE and I are on the same page, you are hung up on "anybody going to ACRA and spending 5 bucks to reserve a name. Two different things altogether. It wouldn't do anybody any good if they are in Europe and wanting to come to Singapore or if they are in Singapore and not Qualified for either a PEP or PR but want to be able to stay here. They are the ones that are asking about starting a company (in their terms, 'Registering a busines' which is the incorrect question because somebody will always try to pick up on the wrong context and run with it - in this case it was you.) We are trying to help those who are here wanting to secure their ability to work here not engage in semantics over the improper usage of a word. If that means using similar language as the OP in order to get the message across then so be it.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10840
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 8:28 am

ksl wrote:There is a big misunderstanding here, the actual registration with ACRA doesn't require any form of pass at all


This is correct ONLY if you have no intention whatsoever to live in Singapore. From the ACRA web pages:

[color=brown]“Locally resident”

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 11:07 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
ksl wrote:There is a big misunderstanding here, the actual registration with ACRA doesn't require any form of pass at all


This is correct ONLY if you have no intention whatsoever to live in Singapore. From the ACRA web pages:

[color=brown]“Locally resident”

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10840
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 12:28 pm

ksl wrote:Thank you, and there are probably many employment pass holders, that wish to start business that way, and remain employed with their present Company.


An employment pass holder, living in Singapore, cannot register a business. If you are not resident in Singapore you will not have an employment pass.

You sound exceptionally confused to me. Employment passes are issued to those WORKING IN SINGAPORE, ie, physically present.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 2:52 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
ksl wrote:Thank you, and there are probably many employment pass holders, that wish to start business that way, and remain employed with their present Company.


An employment pass holder, living in Singapore, cannot register a business. If you are not resident in Singapore you will not have an employment pass.

You sound exceptionally confused to me. Employment passes are issued to those WORKING IN SINGAPORE, ie, physically present.


You will clearly see, that from june, it has been made easier, however from the point of view of employment pass holder, who is employed in Singapore who is not a permanent resident, falls under the foreign non resident rules, but because the people are on EP and residing in Singapore, he doesn't need the entrepas....he must apply for the AIP. It clearly states that before june, foreigners had previously registerd their business first and had difficulty getting EP....If you are already on EP and not active in the business you are setting up, you do not need the entrepass...though now, you will still have to produce your business plan.
Previously not the case! And it is clear a resident employment pass employee can register there own business, by first getting the AIP.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... gners.html

Your assumption is that the EP holder is resident in Singapore he cannot apply to register a business , while employed right! EP is not a long term resident and is classified as a foreigner on short term residence, until long term is given. Anyway you can see how it was done previous to June, register business first.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10840
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 3:30 pm

ksl wrote:Your assumption is that the EP holder is resident in Singapore he cannot apply to register a business , while employed right! EP is not a long term resident and is classified as a foreigner on short term residence, until long term is given. Anyway you can see how it was done previous to June, register business first.


This makes no sense whatsoever, ksl. An EP holder is a resident of Singapore. He/she pays taxes at resident rates. He/she can rent property, get a license, open a bank account on the basis of the EP. He/she can go through the Singapore passport line at immigration.

BTW, your link is from 1999 and is way out of date... no longer operative. The Entrepass was instituted in 2003 and supplanted previous schemes.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... ssHub.html

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 8:13 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Your assumption is that the EP holder is resident in Singapore he cannot apply to register a business , while employed right! EP is not a long term resident and is classified as a foreigner on short term residence, until long term is given. Anyway you can see how it was done previous to June, register business first.


I rest my case until i can prove otherwise, although you haven't posted any links, to show that an Employment pass holder cannot set up a business.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10840
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 9:06 pm

ksl wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Your assumption is that the EP holder is resident in Singapore he cannot apply to register a business , while employed right! EP is not a long term resident and is classified as a foreigner on short term residence, until long term is given. Anyway you can see how it was done previous to June, register business first.


I rest my case until i can prove otherwise, although you haven't posted any links, to show that an Employment pass holder cannot set up a business.


If only there were a case to be rested!! :roll:

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 9:46 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
ksl wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Your assumption is that the EP holder is resident in Singapore he cannot apply to register a business , while employed right! EP is not a long term resident and is classified as a foreigner on short term residence, until long term is given. Anyway you can see how it was done previous to June, register business first.


I rest my case until i can prove otherwise, although you haven't posted any links, to show that an Employment pass holder cannot set up a business.


If only there were a case to be rested!! :roll:


SE wrote: Wrong. Only a citizen, PR, or DP can register a business or company
You are the one spouting possible errors, with no back up material, proud as a peacock. so why should we take your word for it. Prove it!
I mean their must be quite a few people on here, waiting to see you prove what you say is gospel. I'll certainly hold my hand up and say i was wrong. Your statement is misleading to me, and i suggest everyone should ignore it until the opposite is proven. The Onus is on you! :wink:


You only have to read the business act that states anyone can do business in Singapore no exception, Singapore is the most flexible place in the world for doing business in. Even the registration act is straightforward for anyone, if they get the AIP. No exceptions that i have seen at all. Your statement is to say Singapore is against enterprising employment pass holders, that are employed here in Singapore. So where is your proof?

Here all the legal statutes from A to Z http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/ point me in the right direction, that Employment pass holders are excluded from registering a business.
Last edited by ksl on Wed, 19 Aug 2009 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10840
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 9:54 pm

Sigh... ksl... Singapore is indeed a very business friendly place. But, like all other countries, it has rules. And in Singapore, the rules are designed to keep out a tsunami of people who would be living here tomorrow if it were so easy to set up a business and move to Singapore.

So, I will state it one more time and I am out of this pointless discussion: You can, as a foreigner, register a business, provided that a) You will not be living in Singapore, and b) You appoint a valid Singapore resident to run your business... the Singaporean entity that actually has responsibility and liability for the business.

If you intend to actually LIVE IN Singapore and run a business, then a) You will already hold citizenship, a PR, or a DP... NOT an EP or LTSVP, or b) you will have applied for an Entrepass and have succeeded.

That is how it works, period. No peacock... just fact.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 10:03 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Sigh... ksl... Singapore is indeed a very business friendly place. But, like all other countries, it has rules. And in Singapore, the rules are designed to keep out a tsunami of people who would be living here tomorrow if it were so easy to set up a business and move to Singapore.

So, I will state it one more time and I am out of this pointless discussion: You can, as a foreigner, register a business, provided that a) You will not be living in Singapore, and b) You appoint a valid Singapore resident to run your business... the Singaporean entity that actually has responsibility and liability for the business.

If you intend to actually LIVE IN Singapore and run a business, then a) You will already hold citizenship, a PR, or a DP... NOT an EP or LTSVP, or b) you will have applied for an Entrepass and have succeeded.

That is how it works, period. No peacock... just fact.
Okay so I guess MOM is the only who can clear this up, because an AIP is required now, I'll check with them.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest