Singapore Expats

Pain in knee when i jog

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
pennant
Regular
Regular

Pain in knee when i jog

Post by pennant » Tue, 02 Jun 2009 2:12 pm

i go jogging about 2 to 3 times a week,
jogging 5km -8km is fine for me.
but whenever i reach about 10km, my knee starts to hurt a little.. i wonder why...
A wise man can see more from the bottom of a well than a fool can from a mountain top

akhild
Regular
Regular

Post by akhild » Tue, 02 Jun 2009 2:31 pm

wats the state of ur body? r u in good shape?
which part of the knee hurts?

does it increase when u go up or down?

give more details. u might have a runner's knee..

underlying causes cud be tendonitis, cartilage problems at kneecap or other stuff.

wats ur vitamin intake?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Pain in knee when i jog

Post by ksl » Wed, 03 Jun 2009 12:43 am

pennant wrote:i go jogging about 2 to 3 times a week,
but whenever i reach about 10km, my knee starts to hurt a little.. i wonder why...
This is normally caused by soft cartilage tissue, over training, and not resting or taking a day off, it can be fair wear and tear, if you do it for many years. Could also be a bad diet, women especially need extra calcium and Iron, because of menses and are more prone to osteoporosis and the loss of bone density.

I also have a serious problem with damaged cartilage tissue in both knees, but couldn't afford the operation, it was caused by running down hill or i should say mountain side, for 16 km, the camber on the road and my body weight 85kg caused the problem.

It can also be caused by the wrong kind of running shoe, so it's very important to know exactly wear the weight lands on the shoe, so you can make any adjustment in the choice of shoe to counter the weight problem.

I have run for over 40 years, many many miles per year, with an average of 40 miles a week for 9 months of every year, and i believe when it's time to move on, I will be enjoying what i do best, although after a bloody heart attack,

I suppose i had better choose between sex and running, becaue these two are probably my most active hobbies that will take me out, struggling with running these days, and still wondering about the sex. I think it maybe the other half, that works 18 hrs a day to keep me that maybe failing :) poor darling but she knows i love her! :D

If there are any errors it's because i can't find my damn glasses! Feels like i have had 5 Barons, but I have only had 2.
akhild: does it increase when u go up or down?
Well of course, i'm not that unlucky, but if i had a choice, i would like to win the lotto.
akhild: give more details. u might have a runner's knee
Actually I have some blisters on the palm of my hand, this is probably due to being married to long and working too long hrs, not me, the Mrs :oops:

I've actually earned these barons tonight having worked the last 5 days until 11 pm each night at the expo
underlying causes cud be tendonitis, cartilage problems at kneecap or other stuff.
You are quite right Akhild well done, i forgot to mention the runners knee, one can also get the pain in fibula too!
Running is literally addictive after one passes the pain barriers, many give up at that stage, but the increase in endorphins can get you through it, if you persist, although worse injury maybe a result, if you do not understand the reasons for the pain.

I myself purchase an electronic acupuncture massage unit with over 80 different settings from Orwell in Simlim, not cheap, but it did work on my tack after 3 months, i was able to run, but still had occurrence of pain, for 2 years, i didn;t need the operation after using the machine, so it well paid for itself. Now I am back running, with a reduced oxygen intake after the heart attack, but running for me is a lifestyle, just like enjoying beer, although their is a psychological profile that goes with it.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 03 Jun 2009 8:33 am

it's de ole patellae not lookin too good, i dare say! PFS, even!

wearing a guard and taking painkillers/NSAIDs won't do you any good in the long run.

you need to switch to lower impact sports for some time and learn how to tape them and what exercises to do to strengthen them back into place.

you can gradually get back to running after that. also, like ksl said, you need the right shoes. good running shoes are not always cheap either... but a worthy investment.

try that shoe store in funan center - can't remember what it's called, but they sell lotsa sports shoes and have regular runs.

btw, you've not mentioned your age or health profile and i've not physically manipulated your legs, so take what i've said with a pinch of salt - go see a doctor to be sure.

pennant
Regular
Regular

Post by pennant » Wed, 03 Jun 2009 11:26 am

akhild wrote:wats the state of ur body? r u in good shape?
which part of the knee hurts?

does it increase when u go up or down?

give more details. u might have a runner's knee..

wats ur vitamin intake?
hi, have stopped jogging for 1 year, but recently i sign up for a 15km run (which i completed 2 weeks ago) i train for 2months for the run, starting with 2km then 5km, then 8km. i run about 3times a week, mostly during 11pm to midnight. the pain is not a sharp pain, it comes when i reach abt 10km... but i seem to be able to run it off...

the area around knee cap hurts, i run mostly on flat ground

for my vitamin intake, i got no idea at all!!!!

so, i should rest, and it'll recover ??
Last edited by pennant on Wed, 03 Jun 2009 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
A wise man can see more from the bottom of a well than a fool can from a mountain top

pennant
Regular
Regular

Post by pennant » Wed, 03 Jun 2009 11:33 am

thks for reply KSL, well, i tink i got the best pair of running shoe for my feet, as i have wide feet, mizuno is the ideal shoe for ppl with wide feet, the have 3 different range. i got the wave rider 12. which have good cushion for 15km running, althought it's not as light as i liked.

so, shoe should not be the problem here...

btw, i'm 25years old, been running when i am in army since 18year old till 20, after army, i played soccer and was still jogging every now n then. have stopped running for a year before picking it up 2months back..
there is this Ad i saw...
'Running knows you have cheated, Running is willing to take u back'
hahaha...

Running is better then sex !!! anytime! :)

pennant
Regular
Regular

Post by pennant » Wed, 03 Jun 2009 11:36 am

taxico wrote:
it's de ole patellae not lookin too good, i dare say! PFS, even!

wearing a guard and taking painkillers/NSAIDs won't do you any good in the long run.

you need to switch to lower impact sports for some time and learn how to tape them and what exercises to do to strengthen them back into place.

you can gradually get back to running after that. also, like ksl said, you need the right shoes. good running shoes are not always cheap either... but a worthy investment.

try that shoe store in funan center - can't remember what it's called, but they sell lotsa sports shoes and have regular runs.

btw, you've not mentioned your age or health profile and i've not physically manipulated your legs, so take what i've said with a pinch of salt - go see a doctor to be sure.

maybe i will go for shorter route for time being...
as the pain only occur when i hit 10km or about 1 hour of running

hallee04

Post by hallee04 » Fri, 19 Jun 2009 6:10 pm

It is best that u take more physical rest. when u damage ur cartilage, it cant be healed. Actually it does, but it is a very slow process. Try also to do warm up before the exercise and take more milk.
Thanks

nyquist2000

Post by nyquist2000 » Sun, 06 Sep 2009 8:23 am

Is often ideal to run when we are at our ideal weight. I would suggest non impact excerise such as swimming, cycling or even a stepper machine or simply brisk walking. Those are non impact excerises which can prevent knee injury in long term. :)

angelhope

Post by angelhope » Wed, 16 Sep 2009 3:07 pm

do take care of yourself, but maybe a lack of certain calcium or certain elements in your body thus the pain?

Singapore Saint

Post by Singapore Saint » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 7:03 pm

Hi,

I don't mean to be disrespectful to those who have helpfully replied to Pennant's thread, but I have had various knee problems over the last 10yrs, and although the suggestions here are well-intentioned, its a case of a little knowledge is dangerous!

There are so many causes for knee pain, it can be related to the lower back, the hips, general lack of mobility, lack of strength in the knee, over-pronation of your feet, muscle-imbalance etc - the only sensible thing to do is book an appointment with someone who knows what they are talking about - Pennant, PM me if you are still having issues, and I can recommend someone..I promise you it is not me, but its someone who I have been treated by over the last 18months, and I would highly recommend him - I have seen many physios during my time as an international athlete, and this guy is one of the best I have come across.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 9:12 pm

Singapore Saint,

Please post the information here on the forum so all of our readers can benefit from this. Otherwise please remove the solicitation from your post. Oh yeah, also telling an MD he's full of sh*t is kinda daft if you ask me. :-| You never know what a poster's occupation or history is by looking at their nick & avatar.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Fit-Physique

Pain in the Knee when jogging

Post by Fit-Physique » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:43 pm

There are many reasons why you could be experiencing this knee pain and it would be impossible to tell without seeing a full detailed training diary and looking at your foot, leg, hip alignment and leg strength balance. Generally any imbalance or weakness in the muscles will show up or cause pain when training load is increased too much or too quickly. If you regularly run 5-7km comfortably then a sudden increase to 10km and without slowing your pace may simply be too much. Any running program can be complemented by core and specific leg strength training. Pain in the knee may be due to degeneration of the joint but more often than not stems from muscle tightness/weakness and strength imbalance elsewhere in the body, often the hips.