Singapore Expats Forum

Kudos to Thai Airlines

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Strong Eagle

Kudos to Thai Airlines

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 01 Jun 2009 11:56 am

In a time when service often seems to be little more than a word, I would like to note the excellent service that Thai Airlines provided to me.

I had booked a business class flight well in advance of my trip to LAX. In the intervening time my flight was twice changed. Unfortunately, I had non changeable (without penalty) tickets out of LAX and these changes cost me a bunch of money.

Thai made me whole on the costs... although they were under no obligation to do so. And I thank them. I also like to fly them... one of the more inexpensive business fares and always very good service.

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Mon, 01 Jun 2009 12:23 pm

ahhh... i'm glad TG won you over.

i wonder if it has anything to do with the downturn, and the amount you paid for your ticket (compared to the current prices).

i've never been impressed with their "royal silk" service... quite inconsistent... but when it's good, it's good.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Mon, 01 Jun 2009 5:18 pm

It could be they have more time on their hands. I heard a lot of complaints a few months when they cancelled (permanently) one schedule to the US and were not informing people.

Good that finally somebody has something nice to say about that side of their workings....... I generally like flying Thai itself on board but their organisational skills leave a lot to be desired. Like leaving brand new aircraft sitting on the tarmac in Bangkok because they haven't got a route for them anymore, though it may be cheaper to use them even on other routes because the fuel burn is more efficient.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Mon, 01 Jun 2009 6:26 pm

I'm with SE - TG are pretty afforable for J class. Sure, as ScoobyDoes says, you don't always get the new aircraft on some router (trk BKK-Oman!) and the service can be a little hit and miss. Generally, Ms. C and I can only sing their praises - only one issue in about 12 flights - and that issue was so minor that it doesn't bear mentioning!

SE - overall, for the trip to the West Coast, you sounded pretty happy and would you, price wise, service wise, use them again over say SQ, ANA, and the other usual suspects?

Cheers, Mr. P

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 01 Jun 2009 6:51 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:I'm with SE - TG are pretty afforable for J class. Sure, as ScoobyDoes says, you don't always get the new aircraft on some router (trk BKK-Oman!) and the service can be a little hit and miss. Generally, Ms. C and I can only sing their praises - only one issue in about 12 flights - and that issue was so minor that it doesn't bear mentioning!

SE - overall, for the trip to the West Coast, you sounded pretty happy and would you, price wise, service wise, use them again over say SQ, ANA, and the other usual suspects?

Cheers, Mr. P

Mr. P: I am quite happy with the service (and the price - I flew business for S$4300 when EVA wanted S$6500 and SQ wanted S$10,000). The one downside is that the plane arrives LAX at 21:25... too late for a Continental flight to IAH... so it depends where you are going, I suppose. But there are Southwest flights and American flights (much more expensive and through Dallas). One downside: At LAX the 'gate' for Thai is a bus that drives you halfway to Singapore before you get on the plane.

I generally try to fly EVA business to the US because the timing is good, the price is decent (although climbing lately relative to the others) and Continental is a partner... which means that at least on the flight back I can check my bags all the way from IAH to SIN. And they have a gate in the International terminal.

Air Malaysia was more than Thai, less than EVA and I would not fly it again... schedules cost me 28 hours where EVA is about 23, and the service was only OK... and no booze while flying over Malaysia! Lounges don't have much to recommend them, either... although the KL lounge is pretty good. Also bus boards at LAX

I have flown economy on the SIN-NAR-IAH trip with NWA and CO and that is the shortest time and fewest stops but I have never figured out how to get a decent business price out of these people... they wanted US$10,000 to get me home last Christmas... no thank you.

I do like Thai to Europe... nice 747 with the almost lay flat seats.

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Postby pakjohn » Mon, 01 Jun 2009 8:10 pm

I just purchased r/t Singapore to IAH for 1600 SGD then upgraded to business with the upgrade promotion SAL is having now. (Abt 120,000 FFmiles for the upgrade) One stop in Berlin but for 1600 and the miles figure it was a pretty good deal.
Pakjohn