Singapore Expats

Problem with Singpost?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
OogieBoogie
Regular
Regular

Problem with Singpost?

Post by OogieBoogie » Fri, 29 May 2009 1:34 pm

Hello

My wife received 2 parcels from France. the first one arrived in about 2 weeks, but the second one, send by the same person the same day, took 2 months to come!!

The 2 parcels were about the same size, and contains mainly few books in french, and some sweets (for the second one only).
No explanation or paper saying that custom kept the parcel for any reason. The package didn't look damaged or opened...

This kind of stuff happen often? I'm kinda afraid to ask my parents to send me stuff now... I'm about to run of saucisson...

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 29 May 2009 2:14 pm

It really depends upon how they were sent, that is, the parcel class. The lowest parcel rates go by sea and can takes months. The more expensive rates go by air and incur some delay, while the most expensive rates are essentially couriered over here by DHL/other provider.

OogieBoogie
Regular
Regular

Post by OogieBoogie » Fri, 29 May 2009 2:45 pm

both parcel were kind of express mail. that's why i don't understand the gap between the delviery.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 29 May 2009 3:12 pm

OogieBoogie wrote:both parcel were kind of express mail. that's why i don't understand the gap between the delviery.
The most likely explanation is that it fell off the sorting machine, down behind it into a corner, and lay there until the machine broke down. Then the mechanic spotted it as he bent down to remove a cover.

Years ago I had a big fight with a Texas governmental agency over their accusation that I had not filed a document. I went to their offices, sat down with the case worker, saw a big pile of paper on her file cabinet... and guess what... my paperwork had fallen behind the file cabinet.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Re: Problem with Singpost?

Post by ozchick » Sun, 31 May 2009 10:23 pm

OogieBoogie wrote:Hello

My wife received 2 parcels from France. the first one arrived in about 2 weeks, but the second one, send by the same person the same day, took 2 months to come!!

The 2 parcels were about the same size, and contains mainly few books in french, and some sweets (for the second one only).
No explanation or paper saying that custom kept the parcel for any reason. The package didn't look damaged or opened...

This kind of stuff happen often? I'm kinda afraid to ask my parents to send me stuff now... I'm about to run of saucisson...
Never experienced anything like that here in Sg. I wouldn't let that experience deter you. Unless the problem is at the 'sender's end'. Certainly with post from Oz to Sg, both regular mail- and parcels- have all arrived within 5 days. Don't give up unless it happens again. Glitches occur from time to time in all country's mail systems.
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Gemaclop

Post by Gemaclop » Sat, 06 Jun 2009 2:02 pm

Not sure about shipping from France, but I ship regularly from the US using the post office and you can get a tracking number to see where your parcel is at any point of time after shipping. Perhaps you can get the tracking number from the shipper the next time you ship things here?

sherlockian21

Post by sherlockian21 » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:35 am

Maybe insufficient postage for one of the parcel? And in the end they say "oh well, let's just ship it"

Dolph
Regular
Regular

Post by Dolph » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 1:30 pm

I hate to say it, but I have a feeling the problem might be in France... I send parcels from Sing to France and Scandinavia on a regular basis, and the ones to Scandinavia reach their destination within a week whereas the ones to France take about twice the time (sometimes more). Just my experience.

OogieBoogie
Regular
Regular

Post by OogieBoogie » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 4:20 pm

Gemaclop wrote:Not sure about shipping from France, but I ship regularly from the US using the post office and you can get a tracking number to see where your parcel is at any point of time after shipping. Perhaps you can get the tracking number from the shipper the next time you ship things here?
we had a tracking number, but problem is the system is not working abroad. So we can't track the parcel once it left France.
This kind of express mail can't have the wrong postage: you pay according to the weight, at the counter. There's no way around.

I really think they've lost the parcel and discover it after few weeks... I guess it was just bad luck then.

Dolph: saying that Scandinavian post is quicker than French post doesn't explain why one of my 2 packets, posted a the same time under the same condition arrived in Singapore after 2 month when the other one arrived after 2 weeks. But thx anyway :roll: