Singapore Expats

Tenancy agreements/leases and your rights as a tenant

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
pleaseplease

Re: Tenancy agreements/leases and your rights as a tenant

Post by pleaseplease » Sat, 17 Oct 2020 11:28 am

Hi All,

I'm back from my last post in Sep, quick update since then she has gone berserk and started shouting and banging at my door late at night.

She asked for the termination of the agreement but I said I wouldn't unless she agrees to return the deposit which she agreed!! So I moved out at the end of Sep with the expectation that she would return the deposit that she has actually agreed on multiple accounts. It has been 3 weeks now, no deposit and she has blocked me and refuse to talk to me.

I get that I shouldn't expect to get my deposit back but the only reason I agreed to move out was because she agreed to so, I'm now still looking for a place, waiting for my deposit, I tried visiting her in person but she locked all windows and doors and I asked her neighbours if she was around and everyone on the floor agreed that she's problematic and doesn't talk to her.

Should I go up to HDB board because the tenancy agreement is still valid until this year end, technically I can argue on the fact that she 'kicked' me out without reason?

Search By

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 17 Oct 2020 11:37 am

You should not have returned the keys without your deposit back. You could raise a case at SCT.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

tt1973
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tt1973 » Sun, 18 Oct 2020 6:19 pm

I agree with PNGMK, you should lodge a claim at the Small Claims Tribunal.

The SCT will then summon the Landlord and you for a mediation session. I strongly believe you have a case here.

pleaseplease

Post by pleaseplease » Sun, 18 Oct 2020 11:42 pm

Right, so I should skip going up to the HDB board all together?

Just wanting to cover all grounds, what are the chances of me losing the case ie. she can say something crazy or make something up, and being a non-singapore citizen, will this cost me anything down the road?

Thanks!

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Mon, 19 Oct 2020 4:50 pm

HDB dont involve in TA.
It is stated in HDB

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

pleaseplease

Post by pleaseplease » Mon, 19 Oct 2020 6:49 pm

Ok thanks all, should I also request for a tenancy termination letter from the LL since the lease is only ending in Dec?

eddtangers

Post by eddtangers » Wed, 28 Oct 2020 11:26 pm

Hi all, I've just moved to Singapore and have been looking for flats for about 2 weeks and have finally narrowed down to two. So I don't want to sign an LOI, instead I prefer going straight to the tenancy agreement. I will be going to meet my agent to go through all the T&C to make sure they are fine and he is expecting me to sign there and then.

My question is - when do I check the proof of ownership of the condo as the landlord will not be there and I have not met him yet either.
Am I supposed to be paying him the first month rental and deposit as soon as I sign? My concern is that the landlord hasn't signed - it would be me signing first and I guess the agent would hand it to the landlord to sign after but I do not know when.
I want to double check all appliances are working before actually signing - is that common practise here in Singapore?
I have confirmed with him that I will be moving in next Saturday so if I sign the TA on Monday, I assume they will give me the keys on my move in date. Is it common to do it this way? And also, is it risky considering I would have handed over money and have to wait until Sat to get the keys?

The agent seems legit he is registered on CEA and works at ERA.

Thanks for your attention and any thoughts on the above would be appreciated!

sndy
Regular
Regular

Post by sndy » Mon, 16 Nov 2020 2:12 pm

eddtangers wrote:
Wed, 28 Oct 2020 11:26 pm
Hi all, I've just moved to Singapore and have been looking for flats for about 2 weeks and have finally narrowed down to two. So I don't want to sign an LOI, instead I prefer going straight to the tenancy agreement. I will be going to meet my agent to go through all the T&C to make sure they are fine and he is expecting me to sign there and then.

My question is - when do I check the proof of ownership of the condo as the landlord will not be there and I have not met him yet either.
Am I supposed to be paying him the first month rental and deposit as soon as I sign? My concern is that the landlord hasn't signed - it would be me signing first and I guess the agent would hand it to the landlord to sign after but I do not know when.
I want to double check all appliances are working before actually signing - is that common practise here in Singapore?
I have confirmed with him that I will be moving in next Saturday so if I sign the TA on Monday, I assume they will give me the keys on my move in date. Is it common to do it this way? And also, is it risky considering I would have handed over money and have to wait until Sat to get the keys?

The agent seems legit he is registered on CEA and works at ERA.

Thanks for your attention and any thoughts on the above would be appreciated!
You shouldn't be paying anything until the contract is signed by all parties.

My advise would be to pay the deposit only after you go through and understand the agreement and is signed by ll.
First rental to be paid only after you move in, post takeover. Get all things requiring repair/replacement in writing.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Nov 2020 12:43 am

Another thing worth doing is have an inspection along with the Agent ( the LL may actually not even be living in Singapore) before signing anything and to burn up a fair number of photos of all things that look somewhat shady and the rest of the flat in general and make two copies burned on CDs, one for the Agent/Owner as acceptance on the condition of the flat at the time of takeover with a signed by the agent/LL notice of acceptance for your own records, and one for your own records. May save lot of tears and aggravation later.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 17 Nov 2020 10:18 am

I wasn't going to comment as previous poster is probably already moved in but you need to negotiate for white goods, better furniture, extra crockery etc BEFORE you sign the lease.

christmassy_quest

Post by christmassy_quest » Sat, 19 Dec 2020 12:53 am

Hi all, I just moved to Singapore this December and I found a place to rent after a good deal of searching. The agent seems legit (registered with CEA) and everything seems fine, but then I came across this clause, stating that on suspicion of breach of agreement the landlord and his representatives reserve the right to use an additional lock to secure the premises until the tenant 'settles outstanding issues'.
After reading the stories on this forum, this clause has made me very very nervous about signing (I have not yet signed the agreement, will sign this evening).

I am planning to speak to the agent and understand why such a clause has been inserted and to seek its removal or modification. I would appreciate if someone here could advise me on 1) what would be a reasonable modification for this clause, or should I ask for complete removal? 2) If the agent refuses to modify or remove, what are my options? I already paid the first month's rent and deposit to LL as my need to secure the house is very urgent.

Please help, and thank you all for your time and advice

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 19 Dec 2020 9:10 am

christmassy_quest wrote:
Sat, 19 Dec 2020 12:53 am
Hi all, I just moved to Singapore this December and I found a place to rent after a good deal of searching. The agent seems legit (registered with CEA) and everything seems fine, but then I came across this clause, stating that on suspicion of breach of agreement the landlord and his representatives reserve the right to use an additional lock to secure the premises until the tenant 'settles outstanding issues'.
After reading the stories on this forum, this clause has made me very very nervous about signing (I have not yet signed the agreement, will sign this evening).

I am planning to speak to the agent and understand why such a clause has been inserted and to seek its removal or modification. I would appreciate if someone here could advise me on 1) what would be a reasonable modification for this clause, or should I ask for complete removal? 2) If the agent refuses to modify or remove, what are my options? I already paid the first month's rent and deposit to LL as my need to secure the house is very urgent.

Please help, and thank you all for your time and advice
A reasonable modification of this clause would be to get it removed. I would never sign anything like this.
If they insist to keep it, find another place. There are plenty of them around. If what you signed so far is only the LOI, this is not binding any ways so getting back deposit is mostly technicality - in the worst case scenario you need to sue the LL in SCT.

christmassy_quest

Post by christmassy_quest » Sat, 19 Dec 2020 11:55 am

Thank you so much for your reply @x9200 ! I talked to the agent and they have agreed to remove the last para :) ! Hoping everything goes well [-o<

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 21 Dec 2020 9:43 pm

FYI this is a recent practice brought about by some bad tenants refusing to leave. It's not normal.

Elle.Dee

Post by Elle.Dee » Fri, 25 Jun 2021 9:53 pm

I’m renting a condo in the east. Less than a year in my contract and one of the glass panels suddenly shattered (I was not in at the time and found it that way when I got home). I informed the agent and landlady ASAP. They said they will arrange for replacement but I’m expected to pay for it. The lease agreement states I am only responsible for the initial sgd150 for any repair in the unit.

I’d appreciate any advice on this matter. Thank you!