Singapore Expats

Tenancy agreements/leases and your rights as a tenant

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Tenancy agreements/leases and your rights as a tenant

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 02 Nov 2021 5:33 pm

How hard was it to find one Swn4?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Search By

Swn4
Regular
Regular

Post by Swn4 » Tue, 02 Nov 2021 7:30 pm

You need to look for older condos &/or ones with a lot of expat tenants who don’t own cars. So not that difficult for where I was looking - Orchard area.
My bigger difficulty was that agents were not willing to show the units to Singaporeans as they claimed that Landlords only wanted to rent to Expats! I honestly suspect it was more the agents than the landlords who were coming up with this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

khazumeh5283

Post by khazumeh5283 » Thu, 08 Dec 2022 10:37 am

Hi! I have a question, I know this is not so related topic but I am one of a tenant in a condo and staying in the Master's Bedroom, my family will be visiting Singapore this December for 3 weeks and my initial plan was to let them stay with me in the condo where I am staying, but right now I am having second thoughts as the main tenant told me it is not allowed to let them stay there because the owner may find out.
We are already 6 in the house and if my 5 family members (2 adults and 3 kids) will be coming we will be 11 in total in the house. As to space, we still can fit. But they say it is not allowed. If we do rent out a Service Apartment it will be too much of a cost on my end. So my question is, can I stick to my original plan to let them stay with me in my room and just pay for the PUB and add-on on my rental? The owner isn't staying in the house so I was thinking maybe can ask all my housemates to cooperate? Please enlighten me on what to do. Will really appreciate a reply from you guys. Thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Dec 2022 3:30 pm

Can you afford to have your lease terminated?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 08 Dec 2022 4:46 pm

khazumeh5283 wrote:
Thu, 08 Dec 2022 10:37 am
Hi! I have a question, I know this is not so related topic but I am one of a tenant in a condo and staying in the Master's Bedroom, my family will be visiting Singapore this December for 3 weeks and my initial plan was to let them stay with me in the condo where I am staying, but right now I am having second thoughts as the main tenant told me it is not allowed to let them stay there because the owner may find out.
We are already 6 in the house and if my 5 family members (2 adults and 3 kids) will be coming we will be 11 in total in the house. As to space, we still can fit. But they say it is not allowed. If we do rent out a Service Apartment it will be too much of a cost on my end. So my question is, can I stick to my original plan to let them stay with me in my room and just pay for the PUB and add-on on my rental? The owner isn't staying in the house so I was thinking maybe can ask all my housemates to cooperate? Please enlighten me on what to do. Will really appreciate a reply from you guys. Thanks
If 1-2 family members on short visit, you can inform the owner and accommodate. 5 is too much and so you need to find alternative accomodation.

Swn4
Regular
Regular

Post by Swn4 » Thu, 08 Dec 2022 5:03 pm

khazumeh5283 wrote:Hi! I have a question, I know this is not so related topic but I am one of a tenant in a condo and staying in the Master's Bedroom, my family will be visiting Singapore this December for 3 weeks and my initial plan was to let them stay with me in the condo where I am staying, but right now I am having second thoughts as the main tenant told me it is not allowed to let them stay there because the owner may find out.
Not legal.

All types of private residential property are subjected to an occupancy cap of six unrelated persons per property.
Unrelated persons refer to anyone who is not part of the same family unit.
Domestic helpers are considered part of the same family unit.
The occupancy cap also applies to tenants who sublet the property. As the property owner, you must ensure that your tenants follow the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 08 Dec 2022 5:06 pm

Swn4 wrote:
Thu, 08 Dec 2022 5:03 pm
khazumeh5283 wrote:Hi! I have a question, I know this is not so related topic but I am one of a tenant in a condo and staying in the Master's Bedroom, my family will be visiting Singapore this December for 3 weeks and my initial plan was to let them stay with me in the condo where I am staying, but right now I am having second thoughts as the main tenant told me it is not allowed to let them stay there because the owner may find out.
Not legal.

All types of private residential property are subjected to an occupancy cap of six unrelated persons per property.
Unrelated persons refer to anyone who is not part of the same family unit.
Domestic helpers are considered part of the same family unit.
The occupancy cap also applies to tenants who sublet the property. As the property owner, you must ensure that your tenants follow the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He is the tenant, but still need to follow rules.

catfeinneaddict39

Post by catfeinneaddict39 » Sun, 11 Dec 2022 3:22 pm

I have a question--hope someone can help me out.
I am a single professional, renting a studio which is a part of a dual-key condo (the other part of this is the main unit which I believe is at least a 2-bedroom, if not 3).
The landlord's family stays in the main unit next door (husband, wife, and a young kid).
As part of my rental agreement, our combined utilities bill for the two units (electricity, water & gas) are capped at $150/month, while any excess is automatically born by me.
The landlord made this calculation based on the consumption of the previous tenant who was with them for 4 years (and they also showed me their previous utilities bills, which are mostly below $150).
I've been here for a year and most months we manage to keep the bills under the cap, with some months exceeded by $15-20, which is not a big deal on my end as I was working from home for the majority of 2022.

Recently, my landlord renewed their electricity contract with Sembcorp, and showed me that the rate has increased significantly, by almost a whooping 100%!
This new rate will take effect in Jan 2023.
I asked them if the monthly cap of $150/month will be adjusted (as it should), but I was told that they will observe the consumption for the first 3 months before deciding how to adjust the cap.
I am clarifying what this means exactly, as our upcoming bills for the next 3 months are guaranteed to exceed $150 at this point... so who should bear the excess for these 3 months?
It is not fair to automatically put it on me, as that would mean I am getting penalized by bearing the burden of the rate increase, without me actually increasing my consumption (and we are talking significant increase here).

How should both parties best approach this issue?
I personally feel that the monthly utility cap should be increased pretty significantly, to reflect the changes implemented by the electricity provider.
Plus I am no longer working from home and is usually out for 10 hours a day, at least 5 days/week.
I approached the landlord's agent whom I signed the lease with, and she brushed me off by telling me to discuss directly with the landlord, and how rental prices have risen drastically recently (which is irrelevant for my case, as my lease is not up for another year 🙄).

Please share any thoughts/advice on the matter, thanks.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 11 Dec 2022 8:26 pm

catfeinneaddict39 wrote:
Sun, 11 Dec 2022 3:22 pm
I am clarifying what this means exactly, as our upcoming bills for the next 3 months are guaranteed to exceed $150 at this point... so who should bear the excess for these 3 months?
It is not fair to automatically put it on me, as that would mean I am getting penalized by bearing the burden of the rate increase, without me actually increasing my consumption (and we are talking significant increase here).

Please share any thoughts/advice on the matter, thanks.
Should you not be clarifying or working out this at the earliest with your landlord? If you feel unfair, you should be speaking to your landlord and work out something mutual during the period of observation for 1-3 months.

hershey

Post by hershey » Tue, 18 Apr 2023 11:25 pm

How much can a landlord argue that certain things are not "wear and tear" especially for condos that are 10+ years old but still have most of the original fixtures that are now also 10+ years old?

Would you push back on any of these if the landlord and agent claim you should repair these when you move out?
1. Light fixture worn out and no longer working (not just replacement of light bulb)
2. Cabinet doors peeling after 2-4 years of occupying unit, especially if it turns out they were already peeling but were just glued back on before the lease
3. Entire light fixture with fixed light tube needs to be replaced after the light no longer works
4. Toilet or shower mechanism has some defect or weak flow after 10+ years
5. Glass door sliding mechanism no longer sliding because rubber hardened after 10+ years

Is it perfectly normal to argue any or all of these are wear and tear and should not be taken out of a deposit, or at worst should be covered under minor repairs with a $150 limit to what is charged to the tenant?

mistycloud

Post by mistycloud » Sat, 05 Aug 2023 9:41 pm

If I'm renting a place only 4 weeks later and wants to sign the tenancy agreement, would I be required to pay the 1st month rental together with the deposit security at the same time?

hershey

Post by hershey » Sat, 05 Aug 2023 10:56 pm

yes

mr,teddy

Post by mr,teddy » Wed, 13 Dec 2023 12:54 am

Hi. I need and advice about my case. So, I have finished a rental and decided to move out. I have informed my main tenant bout it. Later on, I was inform that I breached TA clauses and need to pay a fee. Fyi, I never signed and read any TA and never signed an LOI as well.

I also suddenly charged with extra dollars related with the fixing. I found it from our serviceman, the price was not shared equally and I was charged more.

I also found out that I never been registered to HDB. Then, I questioned about it, since I always got asked to leave the premises when landlord is coming. Few days ago, I become registered. However as main tenant on new lease which I never agreed upon on.

Need an advise about legals since I am not the expert on the field. Most people said that I got scammed

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Wed, 13 Dec 2023 7:04 am

Looks like you are the sub Tenant renting from the main Tenant.

A few problems here Mr teddy.

Did you sign a room rental agreement? Did you pay any deposit to anyone? If you haven't seen or sign any agreement but paid the deposit to main Tenant, you are at risk of not getting your deposit back!

You shouldn't have agreed to stay when you are not registered occupier of the flat and shouldn't leave when the Landlord is coming.

Meantime, I suggest you check all the documents you have signed (if any). Your case rest solely on the agreement. There are no recourse to get back your deposit or money if nothing is signed.

If there is no deposit, walk away and move out. Get all documents done properly in your next lease.

If there is a deposit paid to main Tenant, negotiate to get it back. Do inform them that if you do not get it back, you will report to the authorities as they are not authorised to collect any money from you.
mr,teddy wrote:
Wed, 13 Dec 2023 12:54 am
Hi. I need and advice about my case. So, I have finished a rental and decided to move out. I have informed my main tenant bout it. Later on, I was inform that I breached TA clauses and need to pay a fee. Fyi, I never signed and read any TA and never signed an LOI as well.

I also suddenly charged with extra dollars related with the fixing. I found it from our serviceman, the price was not shared equally and I was charged more.

I also found out that I never been registered to HDB. Then, I questioned about it, since I always got asked to leave the premises when landlord is coming. Few days ago, I become registered. However as main tenant on new lease which I never agreed upon on.

Need an advise about legals since I am not the expert on the field. Most people said that I got scammed
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

mr,teddy

Post by mr,teddy » Wed, 13 Dec 2023 9:08 am

Pal wrote:
Wed, 13 Dec 2023 7:04 am
Looks like you are the sub Tenant renting from the main Tenant.

A few problems here Mr teddy.

Did you sign a room rental agreement? Did you pay any deposit to anyone? If you haven't seen or sign any agreement but paid the deposit to main Tenant, you are at risk of not getting your deposit back!

You shouldn't have agreed to stay when you are not registered occupier of the flat and shouldn't leave when the Landlord is coming.

Meantime, I suggest you check all the documents you have signed (if any). Your case rest solely on the agreement. There are no recourse to get back your deposit or money if nothing is signed.

If there is no deposit, walk away and move out. Get all documents done properly in your next lease.

If there is a deposit paid to main Tenant, negotiate to get it back. Do inform them that if you do not get it back, you will report to the authorities as they are not authorised to collect any money from you.
Thanks for answering me Pal. Yes, I never signed and read any TA / LOI. For deposit, luckily I never paid it. On the old lease, my name was not registered as occupant. While, on the new lease I am registered as occupant, which it was one-side agreement.

Currently, they are threaten me to sue me because I don't pay these "fees". They also don't want to remove my name from HDB so I can't rent elsewhere.