Singapore Expats Forum

Tenancy agreements/leases and your rights as a tenant

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Oversoul

Re: Tenancy agreements/leases and your rights as a tenant

Post by Oversoul » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 1:25 pm

thank you PNGMK.

I was not aware of that common law as she kept on saying she is very experience agent and has been in the line for more than 15 yrs so everything she does is legal and she will win the case no matter what.

Is there anything I should bring to SCT to prove my case? As I have not encountered this kind of agent before in the last 8 yrs I've been renting in SG. Probably because this is a special case where the Landlady is overseas permanently and the agent is the only person authorized to act on her behalf.

Singapore Property Search

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 5:41 pm

Oversoul wrote:
Tue, 30 Jun 2020 1:25 pm
thank you PNGMK.

I was not aware of that common law as she kept on saying she is very experience agent and has been in the line for more than 15 yrs so everything she does is legal and she will win the case no matter what.

Is there anything I should bring to SCT to prove my case? As I have not encountered this kind of agent before in the last 8 yrs I've been renting in SG. Probably because this is a special case where the Landlady is overseas permanently and the agent is the only person authorized to act on her behalf.
Bring copies of the TA, the service bills for aircon (to show what you normally pay), print outs of any damage, before and after reports. Determine mentally what you want to settle on. SCT pushes for a mediated settlement rather than just win / lose.

10:1 as soon as the beyatch gets a summons she will back down.

My point around common law is that one party cannot simply claim damages without showing evidence as to the amount of damages.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Oversoul

Post by Oversoul » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 10:20 pm

I guess I have to put the complain to the SCT on the landlady (even though the agent is the one making all this noise).

That's what I thought as well (regardless of whether there is a law or not) as i've been asking what exactly is the charge as to why it's 600 SGD, which till date she hasn't given me. But by having a common law around that, I guess that makes the case stronger ?

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 01 Jul 2020 7:00 am

"Common Law" refers to certain practices being f accepted as legal and normal. It's not a specific set of laws or an act. It's a British era thing. But yes someone cannot claim $600 in damages without proof of those damages.

Oversoul

Post by Oversoul » Wed, 01 Jul 2020 4:49 pm

thanks...

What's your experience with SCT? Does the SCT process take long? Like those court proceedings that takes months or years ?

And you recommend after getting an SCT mediated settlement, (win/lose) to complain to the CEA just to get the agent to stop doing these kind of things ?

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 01 Jul 2020 10:23 pm

Oversoul wrote:
Wed, 01 Jul 2020 4:49 pm
thanks...

What's your experience with SCT? Does the SCT process take long? Like those court proceedings that takes months or years ?

And you recommend after getting an SCT mediated settlement, (win/lose) to complain to the CEA just to get the agent to stop doing these kind of things ?
It's very fast. if the other side try to delay they will get one tight slap.