Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore Property Search

 

Tenancy agreements/leases and your rights as a tenant

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
MetroResidences

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5988
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Tenancy agreements/leases and your rights as a tenant

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 28 Jun 2018 10:23 am

It's a renters market - far more units available than renters right now.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

Lyn Wen
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue, 11 Sep 2018

Re: Tenancy agreements/leases and your rights as a tenant

Postby Lyn Wen » Tue, 11 Sep 2018 2:22 pm

need ad advice.
My tenancy is expiring soon and wish to renew ,but have 2 agent are involve ( present landlord and tenant) so we need to pay the commission?

kevman
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun, 23 Sep 2018

Re: Tenancy agreements/leases and your rights as a tenant

Postby kevman » Sun, 23 Sep 2018 6:47 pm

I am renting a room within a HDB flat, living with landlord.

The 1-year contract was ended in December 2017. I continue to pay rent to the landlord. Nothing was signed to extend the tenancy.

My questions are:

1) Is my landlord breaking any rule because nothing was signed to extend the tenancy?
2) I paid 1-month deposit when I moved in. How long is the notice period - if nothing was agreed before?
3) I am worrying that my landlord may withheld the deposit when I moved out. What should I do? Shall I ask my landlord to sign a new contract with me? Apart from Stamp Duty, what do I have to pay for signing the new contract?

JustSee
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun, 04 Mar 2012

Re: Tenancy agreements/leases and your rights as a tenant

Postby JustSee » Sat, 05 Jan 2019 3:32 pm

kevman wrote:I am renting a room within a HDB flat, living with landlord.

The 1-year contract was ended in December 2017. I continue to pay rent to the landlord. Nothing was signed to extend the tenancy.

My questions are:

1) Is my landlord breaking any rule because nothing was signed to extend the tenancy?
2) I paid 1-month deposit when I moved in. How long is the notice period - if nothing was agreed before?
3) I am worrying that my landlord may withheld the deposit when I moved out. What should I do? Shall I ask my landlord to sign a new contract with me? Apart from Stamp Duty, what do I have to pay for signing the new contract?


EDIT:
Actually looked this up some more, and what I keep finding is:
In some cases, this form of tenancy can last for years with the tenant continuing to pay the same rent as stipulated under the expired Tenancy Agreement but it can be ended at any time by either the landlord or tenant without providing a reason.

This doesn't relate directly to fixed-term lease as what you signed, so it is always better to renew the contract - you can make a 6 month contract that reverts to a month-to-month contract when it ends.
Last edited by JustSee on Sun, 06 Jan 2019 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

JustSee
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun, 04 Mar 2012

Re: Tenancy agreements/leases and your rights as a tenant

Postby JustSee » Sat, 05 Jan 2019 3:32 pm

Lyn Wen wrote:need ad advice.
My tenancy is expiring soon and wish to renew ,but have 2 agent are involve ( present landlord and tenant) so we need to pay the commission?


Yup

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11302
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Tenancy agreements/leases and your rights as a tenant

Postby Strong Eagle » Sat, 05 Jan 2019 11:35 pm

JustSee wrote:
Lyn Wen wrote:need ad advice.
My tenancy is expiring soon and wish to renew ,but have 2 agent are involve ( present landlord and tenant) so we need to pay the commission?


Yup


NOT TRUE!

JustSee
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun, 04 Mar 2012

Re: Tenancy agreements/leases and your rights as a tenant

Postby JustSee » Sat, 05 Jan 2019 11:48 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
JustSee wrote:
Lyn Wen wrote:need ad advice.
My tenancy is expiring soon and wish to renew ,but have 2 agent are involve ( present landlord and tenant) so we need to pay the commission?


Yup


NOT TRUE!


Let him/her look at the contract, usually the Landlord will pay the commission on their part and no need on the tenant part, however if OP involved the agent then need to pay the commission on their part; Post above said "2 agent are involved".

If that's not the case, OP needs to write clearer.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11302
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Tenancy agreements/leases and your rights as a tenant

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 06 Jan 2019 2:03 am

50 bux says "2 agent are involved" because the agents are trying to scam the tenant into paying both of them.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Property Talk, Housing & Rental”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest