Singapore Expats Forum

Change of Nationality so Singaporean

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Change of Nationality so Singaporean

Postby calvink » Thu, 28 May 2009 8:43 am

Is it compulsory for someone to change their citizenship to Singaporean have to be a PR for at least 2 years or i could submit the application for them to consider on a case by case basis.?

jpatokal

Re: Change of Nationality so Singaporean

Postby jpatokal » Thu, 28 May 2009 11:56 am

calvink wrote:Is it compulsory for someone to change their citizenship to Singaporean have to be a PR for at least 2 years or i could submit the application for them to consider on a case by case basis.?

No firm rules that I know of, but there certainly is no 2-year minimum -- I received an invitation to apply for citizenship about one year after I got my PR.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

mrericlee

Postby mrericlee » Sun, 31 May 2009 1:08 pm

What are the benefits of becoming a citizen?

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Sun, 31 May 2009 1:33 pm

mrericlee wrote:What are the benefits of becoming a citizen?

There are a few slight benefits of becoming a Citizen, can vote, cash bonuses etc, but there is one major drawback, Singapore will not allow dual nationality, always going to put a lot of people off

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 31 May 2009 3:14 pm

Saint wrote:

There are a few slight benefits of becoming a Citizen, can vote, cash bonuses etc, but there is one major drawback, Singapore will not allow dual nationality, always going to put a lot of people off

That's why, after all these years here, I'm still a PR.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 11:23 am

Saint wrote:

Many Countries have the same policy, however, when i went for my interview in Denmark, after 20 years of being there, it was explained to me, that Denmark doesn't allow dual nationality.

I know hundreds that do have it, and the police have also told me, to reapply for my old UK passport after they take it, because it cannot be given up, the immigration police that deal with it in Denmark must know the score! I don't see it being any different here.

The UK will only right you off, if you stand in the government office on English soil and denounce under oath. Singapore may also do citizenship under oath, but the laws are different in both countries..hence catch 22 and a loop hole, the paper sent from Singapore with your declaration of new citizenship, doesn't make any difference at all to the UK because they allow dual nationality. No idea about the US though.