Singapore Expats Forum

Poor chance for expats who have no PR to get jobs here???

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 3:22 pm

No you can't. You can, however, post them in the Classified section of this site. However you also cannot refer to that posting from here in the forum. Hope this is understood.

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed, 20 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby Nath21 » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 3:26 pm

yes thanks for the clarification

aimes
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 17 Jun 2009

Postby aimes » Fri, 03 Jul 2009 6:24 pm

Ilovebailey wrote:
I've been living here for 5 months now and seems to be no luck on the job hunting. Is it true it's very poor chance for any customer service/admin or any hospitality jobs for expats in Singapore? especially, if they are not PR. I've found most of those jobs posted request the applicants who are PR or Singaporean. Heard they reserve these jobs for their citizen o nly.
If so, what should i do if i'm not holding PR and not Singaporean????



You can get a job in those industries if you are not PR or Singaporean. Do your research, suit up and just go in there and introduce yourself. Applying online for hospitality/customer service roles will just get you lost in with all the other hundreds of applicants, and you need to set yourself apart.
I'm Australian, came to Singapore on a holiday a couple of weeks ago and went into the hotel I wanted to work at. I got the job and I fly back next week to start. If you're right for the role and they really want you it won't matter if you're PR or not.

Tribble
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri, 05 Jun 2009

Postby Tribble » Fri, 03 Jul 2009 8:07 pm

aimes wrote:I'm Australian, came to Singapore on a holiday a couple of weeks ago and went into the hotel I wanted to work at. I got the job and I fly back next week to start. If you're right for the role and they really want you it won't matter if you're PR or not.


Same with me, came to Singapore on a holiday (Australian also) applied for a company I wanted to work for and signed a contract one week later.

If it says "Only Singaporians/PR need apply" apply anyway, they just dn't want to apply for a pass for you or they prefer someone to start asap.

Most people that struggle to find a job because they don't sell themselves or are too picky in what they want to do, it is easier to get a job when you aleady have a job as it shows you are employable.

Have you even had a job here within your 5 month stay? that is an awefully long time to be unemployed don't you think?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 Jul 2009 10:27 pm

Sometimes it just happens. I went 15 months without a job during the last recession and it wasn't for want of trying (and I'm a PR!).

Tribble
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri, 05 Jun 2009

Postby Tribble » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 12:21 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sometimes it just happens. I went 15 months without a job during the last recession and it wasn't for want of trying (and I'm a PR!).


No, 15 months means you were too picky or too lazy.
There are around 22,700 unemployed workers and 16,500 advertised jobs on just sg.JobStreet.com so really, if Singaporeans were not so darn picky, this country would have less than 1% unemployment.

Recession? pleeeeeease

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 12:40 am

Were you here? Do you know what it's like trying to find a job in this country when you 58 years old?

Before you go shooting off your mouth like the obvious dipstick you are appearing to be just because you got lucky, you might want to find out the reasons why before shooting off your mouth. You also wouldn't be looking quite so stupid in the process. In actual fact is has nothing to do with being picky at all. It has everything to do with the mindset of local employers and age discrimination and the fact that there are no law here to prevent any kind of discrimination at all. Fortunately, you have gotten a job here. Hopefully, you will die young so you don't have to face age discrimination. At least then you won't have to find out just how rough it can be to raise a family of four when you are nearing 60 and in this country or any country for that matter.

It's sad. You do your country a grave injustice by being so dense. Bet they're glad to see the backside of you because you are a disgrace to the land down under.

:roll:
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Sat, 04 Jul 2009 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 12:45 am

Tribble wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sometimes it just happens. I went 15 months without a job during the last recession and it wasn't for want of trying (and I'm a PR!).


No, 15 months means you were too picky or too lazy.
There are around 22,700 unemployed workers and 16,500 advertised jobs on just sg.JobStreet.com so really, if Singaporeans were not so darn picky, this country would have less than 1% unemployment.

Recession? pleeeeeease


To give you an idea how dense you really are, I spent 14 years in the recruitment business here and can tell you that 15,000 of those 16,500 jobs on JobStreet are nothing but database fillers without any active positions at all. It's a normal practice in the industry here. Obviously, statistics are not your forte either as it doesn't matter how many jobs there are if the employers are looking for a Chinese speaking Female and you are an English/Malay/Tamil speaking male. I would suggest you pull you head out of your arse before you become the laughing stock of this board. :wink:

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 1:38 am

If you are already here, then try applying but if you are already running out of money. Just go home for the time being.Before you come here, it's always better to do your research. What I learned is that you have to be agressive in going after the job. Send your resume online, if the employer is really interested they will call you even if you are overseas.

Tribble
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri, 05 Jun 2009

Postby Tribble » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 1:44 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:To give you an idea how dense you really are, I spent 14 years in the recruitment business here and can tell you that 15,000 of those 16,500 jobs on JobStreet are nothing but database fillers without any active positions at all. It's a normal practice in the industry here. Obviously, statistics are not your forte either as it doesn't matter how many jobs there are if the employers are looking for a Chinese speaking Female and you are an English/Malay/Tamil speaking male. I would suggest you pull you head out of your arse before you become the laughing stock of this board. :wink:


And now we know why you spent so much time unemployed.

If all your advice is based on being unemployed for 15 months yet claiming to be a guru of recruitment practises and then insulting anyone who contradicts you, then nobody should ever listen to you.

So far all I have seen from your posts is negative racism and conjecture, please stop making a fool of yourself and Singapore.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 6:58 am

Hopefully, you will learn before you shoot yourself in the foot. Course when that happens, you will disappear into the woodwork like most do after they have stuck their foot in their mouths. Good luck to you. You are going to need it. :wink: Hopefully, nobody will have to tell you 'I told you so'. But that's okay, immature assumptions are more the province of the young anyway as they can be excused for not having walked more of life's roads yet.

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 2:07 pm

Tribble wrote:No, 15 months means you were too picky or too lazy.


I consider people who make such statements to be either unbelievably thick or just plain arrogant. The number of vacancies available or appear to be available in relation to the number of unemployed rarely, indicate laziness or reluctance to take a job. That statement is true of both Britain, Singapore and almost anywhere else. Required skills and suitability whatever that might be have to matched with the available labour. Singapore has the added hazard for those out of work that employers can make their own rules while in the UK they are very good at dodging the laws that exist. Only when you find yourself in the same position (more likely than you imagine) will it truly register. :roll:

ardeni
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun, 28 Dec 2008

Re: Poor chance for expats who have no PR to get jobs here??

Postby ardeni » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 8:00 pm

akhild wrote:
Ilovebailey wrote:I've been living here for 5 months now and seems to be no luck on the job hunting. Is it true it's very poor chance for any customer service/admin or any hospitality jobs for expats in Singapore? especially, if they are not PR. I've found most of those jobs posted request the applicants who are PR or Singaporean. Heard they reserve these jobs for their citizen o :( :( nly.
If so, what should i do if i'm not holding PR and not Singaporean????


seriously dude, go n live in a cheap country. Once things are better, come back.


Singapore is amazingly cheap compare to European cities....


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests