Singapore Expats Forum

Poor chance for expats who have no PR to get jobs here???

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Ilovebailey
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun, 17 May 2009

Poor chance for expats who have no PR to get jobs here???

Postby Ilovebailey » Wed, 27 May 2009 3:18 pm

I've been living here for 5 months now and seems to be no luck on the job hunting. Is it true it's very poor chance for any customer service/admin or any hospitality jobs for expats in Singapore? especially, if they are not PR. I've found most of those jobs posted request the applicants who are PR or Singaporean. Heard they reserve these jobs for their citizen o :( :( nly.
If so, what should i do if i'm not holding PR and not Singaporean????

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 27 May 2009 4:06 pm

Go home.

User avatar
akhild
Regular
Regular
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue, 10 Feb 2009

Re: Poor chance for expats who have no PR to get jobs here??

Postby akhild » Wed, 27 May 2009 4:26 pm

Ilovebailey wrote:I've been living here for 5 months now and seems to be no luck on the job hunting. Is it true it's very poor chance for any customer service/admin or any hospitality jobs for expats in Singapore? especially, if they are not PR. I've found most of those jobs posted request the applicants who are PR or Singaporean. Heard they reserve these jobs for their citizen o :( :( nly.
If so, what should i do if i'm not holding PR and not Singaporean????


seriously dude, go n live in a cheap country. Once things are better, come back.

wtf
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 27 May 2009

Postby wtf » Thu, 28 May 2009 4:43 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Go home.


are you a headhunter sundaymorningstaple? I rank headhunters only slightly above english teachers in Japan in terms of what they add to the planet i.e 0

cafecafe
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon, 30 Oct 2006

Postby cafecafe » Fri, 29 May 2009 7:08 pm

You rank head hunters slightly above English teachers? Ummmm a good friend of mine is an English teacher in Japan, and he's a very caring and popular teacher. Care to elaborate?
:o

User avatar
Byrchwood
Member
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat, 06 Dec 2008

Postby Byrchwood » Fri, 29 May 2009 8:50 pm

I have been here for 3 months & had 3 interviews for administration. I have had 2 job offers. I am on a dependent pass. You have to understand though that the wages for dependents are nothing like you might get at home but I do not care I just want more out of Singapore than laying by the pool.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 29 May 2009 11:25 pm

wtf wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Go home.


are you a headhunter sundaymorningstaple? I rank headhunters only slightly above english teachers in Japan in terms of what they add to the planet i.e 0


You've added a lot haven't you! NOT. :cool:

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Poor chance for expats who have no PR to get jobs here??

Postby ksl » Sun, 31 May 2009 3:11 am

Ilovebailey wrote:I've been living here for 5 months now and seems to be no luck on the job hunting. Is it true it's very poor chance for any customer service/admin or any hospitality jobs for expats in Singapore? especially, if they are not PR. I've found most of those jobs posted request the applicants who are PR or Singaporean. Heard they reserve these jobs for their citizen o :( :( nly.
If so, what should i do if i'm not holding PR and not Singaporean????


I quite like the Nickname, is that yourself? Just curious...

I sympathise with you about your experience, although what you should be asking yourself, is how do I solve a problem or the problem! I mean if you cannot solve a problem, what good are you to anyone?

Employers need employees to earn their keep! That's the least we can ask for.

Some of the employee's in this Country have also had to suffer great difficulties in establishing business and were paid less than locals for many years, because building a business is not only about being independent but about caring for the community, sincerely people that start businesses in Singapore have to be very cautious, when it comes to employment because normally they cannot afford to lose money on a bad employee. So handing over responsibility is a very large step to take, for many businesses.

If the company is mega rich, or a MNC then who CARES to be honest! Certainly not the employees in most cases. Headhunters have a role to play, besides headhunting in real terms, they serve a purpose, it's supply and demand after all isn't it?

wtf
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 27 May 2009

Postby wtf » Mon, 01 Jun 2009 11:26 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
wtf wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Go home.


are you a headhunter sundaymorningstaple? I rank headhunters only slightly above english teachers in Japan in terms of what they add to the planet i.e 0


You've added a lot haven't you! NOT. :cool:


Ditto sundaymorningstaple. I lived for many years in Japan, vast majority of english teachers go there bag on the people and that's pretty much it. I'm sure your friend is a caring person and sure there are some out there. But, that's not my experience. As for headhunters they generally have an overdeveloped sense of self worth and a condescending manner. Again my experience. You seemed to prove it. Someone is sincerely asking for some advice on a job and you tell them to go home. Nice...

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 01 Jun 2009 12:09 pm

wtf wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
wtf wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Go home.


are you a headhunter sundaymorningstaple? I rank headhunters only slightly above english teachers in Japan in terms of what they add to the planet i.e 0


You've added a lot haven't you! NOT. :cool:


Ditto sundaymorningstaple. I lived for many years in Japan, vast majority of english teachers go there bag on the people and that's pretty much it. I'm sure your friend is a caring person and sure there are some out there. But, that's not my experience. As for headhunters they generally have an overdeveloped sense of self worth and a condescending manner. Again my experience. You seemed to prove it. Someone is sincerely asking for some advice on a job and you tell them to go home. Nice...


I would suggest, before you put your other foot into your mouth as well, that you go back and reread the poster original question. OP was asking for advice, based on the data that the poster has given, (5 months looking, not a PR or a citizen, looking for a job in the service industry that has severe limitations for foreign workers and most asking for Citizen/PR's only. The best advice anyone could give is to tell them to go home. In case you weren't aware, there is a rather bad recession going on and most countries try to keep their citizens employed first. Therefore, I would suggest that you go back to one of those English teachers you just insulted and learn some reading comprehension. Now I could have answered the poster with a long-winded spiel like I am doing at the moment because you seemed to have missed the whole point. But in their case they apparently were able to grasp the meaning easily.

Another clue as to your lack of reading comprehension is that I didn't mention any friends at all. You really must get a grip.

Oh, and we don't really care what you think about certain occupations. We just consider the source of the comment. :roll:

wtf
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 27 May 2009

Postby wtf » Mon, 01 Jun 2009 12:24 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
wtf wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
wtf wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Go home.


are you a headhunter sundaymorningstaple? I rank headhunters only slightly above english teachers in Japan in terms of what they add to the planet i.e 0


You've added a lot haven't you! NOT. :cool:


Ditto sundaymorningstaple. I lived for many years in Japan, vast majority of english teachers go there bag on the people and that's pretty much it. I'm sure your friend is a caring person and sure there are some out there. But, that's not my experience. As for headhunters they generally have an overdeveloped sense of self worth and a condescending manner. Again my experience. You seemed to prove it. Someone is sincerely asking for some advice on a job and you tell them to go home. Nice...


I would suggest, before you put your other foot into your mouth as well, that you go back and reread the poster original question. OP was asking for advice, based on the data that the poster has given, (5 months looking, not a PR or a citizen, looking for a job in the service industry that has severe limitations for foreign workers and most asking for Citizen/PR's only. The best advice anyone could give is to tell them to go home. In case you weren't aware, there is a rather bad recession going on and most countries try to keep their citizens employed first. Therefore, I would suggest that you go back to one of those English teachers you just insulted and learn some reading comprehension. Now I could have answered the poster with a long-winded spiel like I am doing at the moment because you seemed to have missed the whole point. But in their case they apparently were able to grasp the meaning easily.

Another clue as to your lack of reading comprehension is that I didn't mention any friends at all. You really must get a grip.

Oh, and we don't really care what you think about certain occupations. We just consider the source of the comment. :roll:


There we go! I think that answer is fair enough. Your standard blogging quips about comprehension etc are pretty lame by the way. Anyway my response i think got at least some decent advice now don't you think? Or do you trawl these blogs all day and expect people to read your mind. In my mind if someone told me to go home after I asked them a question I would find it quite rude (that was my point). I do think your last post was quite helpful. All the best i lovebailey

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 01 Jun 2009 2:56 pm

wtf wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
wtf wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
wtf wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Go home.


are you a headhunter sundaymorningstaple? I rank headhunters only slightly above english teachers in Japan in terms of what they add to the planet i.e 0


You've added a lot haven't you! NOT. :cool:


Ditto sundaymorningstaple. I lived for many years in Japan, vast majority of english teachers go there bag on the people and that's pretty much it. I'm sure your friend is a caring person and sure there are some out there. But, that's not my experience. As for headhunters they generally have an overdeveloped sense of self worth and a condescending manner. Again my experience. You seemed to prove it. Someone is sincerely asking for some advice on a job and you tell them to go home. Nice...


I would suggest, before you put your other foot into your mouth as well, that you go back and reread the poster original question. OP was asking for advice, based on the data that the poster has given, (5 months looking, not a PR or a citizen, looking for a job in the service industry that has severe limitations for foreign workers and most asking for Citizen/PR's only. The best advice anyone could give is to tell them to go home. In case you weren't aware, there is a rather bad recession going on and most countries try to keep their citizens employed first. Therefore, I would suggest that you go back to one of those English teachers you just insulted and learn some reading comprehension. Now I could have answered the poster with a long-winded spiel like I am doing at the moment because you seemed to have missed the whole point. But in their case they apparently were able to grasp the meaning easily.

Another clue as to your lack of reading comprehension is that I didn't mention any friends at all. You really must get a grip.

Oh, and we don't really care what you think about certain occupations. We just consider the source of the comment. :roll:


There we go! I think that answer is fair enough. Your standard blogging quips about comprehension etc are pretty lame by the way. Anyway my response i think got at least some decent advice now don't you think? Or do you trawl these blogs all day and expect people to read your mind. In my mind if someone told me to go home after I asked them a question I would find it quite rude (that was my point). I do think your last post was quite helpful. All the best i lovebailey


Based on my original answer which you have taken a disliking to, what is different? That fact that I used 80 words to say exactly the same thing that I said in two? OP already knew the rest that I just repeated. There was no need to repeat OP's whole paragraph as OP already knew all that.

Rude would have been had I said "Go back to where you came from and don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out of Changi!" That would have been rude (very common reply from locals on the angry board - another forum).

If you think my original answer was rude (and your comments about both headhunters and teachers wasn't?) then you win. Feel better? :roll:

I'm outta here. :wave:

User avatar
winger7
Regular
Regular
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri, 03 Oct 2008
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Poor chance for expats who have no PR to get jobs here??

Postby winger7 » Sat, 13 Jun 2009 1:59 pm

Ilovebailey wrote:I've been living here for 5 months now and seems to be no luck on the job hunting. Is it true it's very poor chance for any customer service/admin or any hospitality jobs for expats in Singapore? especially, if they are not PR. I've found most of those jobs posted request the applicants who are PR or Singaporean. Heard they reserve these jobs for their citizen o :( :( nly.
If so, what should i do if i'm not holding PR and not Singaporean????


yea, exactly why ive not moved there yet, i was going to not too long ago, i live in hong kong btw and im now working at HKU, i dont think things will improve in the near future to be honest...a year or 2 if ur hopeful but it would take up to a few years

User avatar
xtasy010
Regular
Regular
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2007

Postby xtasy010 » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 12:36 pm

Byrchwood wrote:I have been here for 3 months & had 3 interviews for administration. I have had 2 job offers. I am on a dependent pass. You have to understand though that the wages for dependents are nothing like you might get at home but I do not care I just want more out of Singapore than laying by the pool.


Hi Byrchwood, could you give some advice on how to approach opening for administration jobs while being on a DP since my spouse is in a similar position and having quite a hard time since they all ask for PR or Citizen?

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed, 20 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby Nath21 » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 2:32 pm

We have a 9 jobs going at my work currently. There is no requirement for it to be Sing PR but I would have thought it helps. Some jobs we have at my work im not sure if advertised or through an agent. Not sure if I can document them here.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests