Singapore Expats Forum

Investment Portfolio Management Software

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Strong Eagle

Investment Portfolio Management Software

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 25 May 2009 7:10 pm

I'd like to find some kind of web based application that would permit me to enter all my holdings with quantities and then be able to see current values, track historical performance, etc.

Is there any website that does this? I've looked at mint.com... I think it does this but it wants my passwords to bank accounts and everything to automatically update... I don't want to go that far... I want something that provides current views of my investment portfolio.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Investment Portfolio Management Software

Postby ksl » Mon, 25 May 2009 9:17 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:I'd like to find some kind of web based application that would permit me to enter all my holdings with quantities and then be able to see current values, track historical performance, etc.

Is there any website that does this? I've looked at mint.com... I think it does this but it wants my passwords to bank accounts and everything to automatically update... I don't want to go that far... I want something that provides current views of my investment portfolio.

I just use, yahoo finance, although its not real time, but that's not a problem for me unless i am trading daily, in which case i use the one i have my account with. Yahoo is simple you can put quite a bit of data, and also check historical prices. You can also set alarms.

http://finance.yahoo.com/

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Mon, 25 May 2009 9:23 pm

SE - am doing some of this as part of my businesses. The big issue you have is the agreements with the various providers (E*trade, mint.com, etc.). Happy to discuss this with you offline as obviously it's pretty confidential.

As KSL suggests, it depends on what kind of trading you do, and the type of positions you like to hold.

Mr. P

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 25 May 2009 9:51 pm

I am looking for something that has the capability for me to chart my stocks, mutual funds, ETF's, bonds etc.

I would assume that such a website would automatically pull today's prices and be able to present me my current position.

I would want to see historical valuations of my portfolio both as tables and graphs.

I am not needing 'realtime' if by that term we are talking instantaneous updates. I am wanting regular updates every 24 hours.

My primary purpose at this point is to step back, review my portfolio, and develop a new investment plan. This plan will include the transition from where I am to where I want to be, and will include needing to make decisions as to whether to sell or hold stocks that have tanked in the current recession.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Mon, 25 May 2009 10:03 pm

Well that's pretty available FOC through most online broking firms and your bank.

Historical is up to you, and plenty of your friends at google will help you out.

And if you don't know how to use Excel, then, well, as someone else here says: Nuff said.

Mr. P

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 25 May 2009 10:18 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:Well that's pretty available FOC through most online broking firms and your bank.

Historical is up to you, and plenty of your friends at google will help you out.

And if you don't know how to use Excel, then, well, as someone else here says: Nuff said.

Mr. P

Yah, well... I hold several IRA's, a trading account, and a couple of trusts that I manage with Schwab. I've got a couple of other brokerage accounts. My wife holds a retirement plan, invested in multiple stocks. What I cannot do is view my Microsoft stock, or my Con Agra stock, held in multiple accounts, across all accounts. You seem to miss my requirement.

As for Excel, my skills are excellent. But as I noted earlier, I'd prefer the ability to automatically update share prices. I don't want to have to do manual updates, and although I can write an update process that reaches out to Yahoo or some such from Excel using VBA I really don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Nuff said.