Singapore Expats

Local Subaru dealers mock the swine flu

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JimH5
Regular
Regular

Local Subaru dealers mock the swine flu

Post by JimH5 » Sun, 24 May 2009 9:54 pm

In certain newspaper, on the lower half of page one of the lifestyle section, the local Subaru dealers have inexplicably tied a sales promotion to the swine flu epidemic.

"Go ahead, be a swine". .You can have it all with this fever-inducing deal. Then if you SMS the word Swine to their phone number you get the details on this promotion.

I'm dumbfounded at how idiotic that promotions manager must be to find humor and a sales hook in a disease that has killed people.

Seriously, someone needs to get a clue on what's appropriate in the pursuit of car sales.

Edited: Please see the sticky entitled 'IMPORTANT ALL POSTERS PLEASE NOTE'

Moderator.

akhild
Regular
Regular

Post by akhild » Wed, 27 May 2009 4:35 pm

i wonder if they will continue their ads now.. after SG has a case.

their license shud be revoked. idiots.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Thu, 28 May 2009 11:57 am

I can see how this may offend but you surely have to take this in a lighthearted way. There's a funny side to everything if you're willing to see it.

I remember a funeral company advertising " People are dying to be on our exclusive client list" back in the UK years ago.

Now which one of your personalities takes offence at this kind of thing. The one from Novena or the one from Newton :D

JimH5
Regular
Regular

Post by JimH5 » Thu, 28 May 2009 4:21 pm

Ah yes, countrymen and family members dying horrible, unexpected deaths. How silly of me to not see the opportunity to mine comedy gold--and sell product.

Maybe next week they'll find something funny to say about HIV/AIDS. Or some hilarious tie in to childhood leukemia. That would really move cars.

Lighthearted? Maybe you meant coldhearted.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Sun, 14 Jun 2009 7:25 pm

You take yourself and life too seriously... There are numerous examples of "swine flu humour" going around. In the States there is a cartoon about the 1st black president and "pigs will fly" and a similar one in SA. There have been actual deaths in the US from Swine flu, yet they accept these. Humour is a way of reminding ourselves not to take life too seriously. We all die - unfortunately some sooner rather than later.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:21 am

Well, it's not like Subaru has a monopoly on tasteless advertising...

Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague