Singapore Expats Forum

Singaporeans and their 3rd world mentality

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Corporal

Singaporeans and their 3rd world mentality

Postby Corporal » Sun, 24 May 2009 2:34 pm

Why I hate Singaporeans.... well perhaps this experience today will enlighten you....

Drove a friend of mine to visit her friend who is working as a maid at Jalan Chengam. If you know Jalan Chengam, it consist of rolls of lavish clustered bungalows....

This maid hasn't seen any of her friends or gone for a day off for months. When we arrived at the house of the employer, the cretin, a typical CHinese SIngaporeans (with one of those huge off-beat cina alters devoted to a CHinese idol) refused to even let her friend into the house in spite of the sweltering heat. The maid was only allowed to see my friend outside the house.

This is the disgusting type of actions of Singaporeans moreover living in Bungalows. If it was a 3 room flat dweller perhaps I would expect to see this but this coming from a lavish bungalow dweller. Really Singapore is a first world economy but seem to be sliding into a 4th world mentality. Really demonstrates what sort of a society this is.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Sun, 24 May 2009 3:08 pm

It's easy to jump to these sort of conclusions when faced with the reality of an awful situation. But you are only seeing one small snapshot, not the whole picture. Rich or poor, Singaporean or not, the behavior was bad. So, did you say anything? Or just keep quiet?

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 24 May 2009 4:43 pm

Why do you call this '3rd world mentality'? Near as I can tell, people in the 3rd world don't have maids.

No, this would appear to be a mentality base upon classism or racism... and there are plenty of people with those views... and not only Singaporean Chinese.

I do wish the gahmen would do more to promote equal and fair treatment of maids and low skilled foreign workers. As it is, with very few protections and even laxer enforcement, people can do just about as they please.

And remember, Singapore is not nearly as bad as the middle east.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 25 May 2009 1:01 am

Unfortunately what most expats do not understand, is the maid is tied to an agents contract and their policies and rules of maids is quite strict, if they wish to be maids.

Now i can quite honestly say that all clients, are not all slave traders, and most in the expatriate world have a really good life, also if they are lucky they have a good life with Singaporeans too.

So yes one may think this is a third world Country, but so is the UK!

SMS probably knows more about what goes on here,!

But it is very wrong to stamp Singapore a 3rd or 4th world Country just because of some arsehole employer.

When i used to look after my daughter and take her to kindergarten, I would meet lots and lots of maids over the years who expressed good times here with employers, I heard occasional bad stories too, that would open your eyes but few and far between!
Last edited by ksl on Mon, 25 May 2009 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ringo100 » Mon, 25 May 2009 5:46 pm

Having recently moved to Hong Kong, I see that maids here are treated like employees instead of bonded labour.

They are paid decent money and work normal hours. Many have time off EACH DAY and are lucky enough to be able to stay outside of their employers house. I have met many that have worked in both places and am yet to find one who prefers Singapore.

Maids are still affordable here and they are not running wild, maybe Singapore could learn a lesson.

I loved my time in Singapore and would be happy to return. But this is one of the things sours the taste in my mouth.

I think the reference to 3rd world is correct in that there is a basic lack of human rights. In 1st world countries, there are/ should be basic fundemental rights applicable to everyone. In 3rd world countries there are distinct/ almost legal unclasses.

There are also 100,000's of maids working in 3rd world countries. Almost all of my friends in India/ Philippines have a driver, maid, gardener and they are not considered rich.

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Singaporeans and their 3rd world mentality

Postby taxico » Tue, 26 May 2009 11:28 pm

Corporal wrote:Why I hate Singaporeans....

The maid was only allowed to see my friend outside the house.

This is the disgusting type of actions of Singaporeans moreover living in Bungalows. If it was a 3 room flat dweller perhaps I would expect to see this but this coming from a lavish bungalow dweller. Really Singapore is a first world economy but seem to be sliding into a 4th world mentality. Really demonstrates what sort of a society this is.

you know... you'd be surprised how easily i could start stereotyping house helps and their bad habits.

but i won't. i'm not surprised your friend wasn't allowed into the house. that's not your friend's friend's (the house help's) house.

the singaporean owners can do whatever they want, including disallowing their employee from even speaking to your friend.

it's for the owners' peace of mind, that a stranger is not within the compound. if your friend wants to have a chat, hook up on an off day.

having said that, i know of many many singaporeans who are terrible employers and i can't say anything good about them, regardless of them living in a hut or a house.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 27 May 2009 12:19 am

Actually I must have had too much piss and vinegar the other night. I just read the OP's message again, and to be quite frank, I would not allow my maid, to have any visitors in my property either.

Why on earth would I want that to happen, she has a good life and a good job, she would hate to lose it I'm sure.

It really is ill advised to encourage anything like this instance, for security reasons and no property owner in their right mind, would allow it.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 27 May 2009 6:58 am

ksl wrote:Actually I must have had too much piss and vinegar the other night. I just read the OP's message again, and to be quite frank, I would not allow my maid, to have any visitors in my property either.

Why on earth would I want that to happen, she has a good life and a good job, she would hate to lose it I'm sure.

It really is ill advised to encourage anything like this instance, for security reasons and no property owner in their right mind, would allow it.

:???:

Salah

Postby Salah » Wed, 27 May 2009 10:46 am

Corporal wrote:Why I hate Singaporeans.... well perhaps this experience today will enlighten you....

Drove a friend of mine to visit her friend who is working as a maid at Jalan Chengam. If you know Jalan Chengam, it consist of rolls of lavish clustered bungalows....

This maid hasn't seen any of her friends or gone for a day off for months. When we arrived at the house of the employer, the cretin, a typical CHinese SIngaporeans (with one of those huge off-beat cina alters devoted to a CHinese idol) refused to even let her friend into the house in spite of the sweltering heat. The maid was only allowed to see my friend outside the house.

This is the disgusting type of actions of Singaporeans moreover living in Bungalows. If it was a 3 room flat dweller perhaps I would expect to see this but this coming from a lavish bungalow dweller. Really Singapore is a first world economy but seem to be sliding into a 4th world mentality. Really demonstrates what sort of a society this is

It's pple like you that give expats bad names! No one in their right minds will allow total strangers into their homes! The maid should know better.

What have you got against the local Chinese?!! Your remarks are both racist and bigotry!

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Wed, 27 May 2009 11:12 am

Salah wrote:It's pple like you that give expats bad names! No one in their right minds will allow total strangers into their homes! The maid should know better.

What have you got against the local Chinese?!! Your remarks are both racist and bigotry!

chillax buddy.

OogieBoogie
Regular
Regular

Postby OogieBoogie » Wed, 27 May 2009 12:50 pm

if i had a maid (God forbid), i wouldn't let her get her friend inside my home. Outside? I don't care. Inside? Not a chance. Working environment is not a place to bring your friends.

But on the other hand, her employer should give the poor girl at least one day off per week... If he had, the maid's friend wouldn't have to come to her employer's place to see her.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Wed, 27 May 2009 12:53 pm

My two cents worth; if you can't trust your maid's friends then that implies you don't trust your maid so why have one in the first place? :?

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Wed, 27 May 2009 1:00 pm

Many years ago in Hong Kong, I got up for a drink in the middle of the night I walked into the Kitchen. There was huge bloke half naked helping himself to a beer from the fridge. Turns out he was an American Sailor on R&R and the maid asked him over for the night :shock:

Salah

Postby Salah » Wed, 27 May 2009 1:37 pm

Plavt wrote:My two cents worth; if you can't trust your maid's friends then that implies you don't trust your maid so why have one in the first place? :?

What abt fren of your maid's fren? When do you draw the line? If it an emergency, the employer should be informed before hand and special meeting place arranged. Under no circumstances shld it take place at the employer home.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Wed, 27 May 2009 1:57 pm

Salah wrote:What abt fren of your maid's fren? When do you draw the line? If it an emergency, the employer should be informed before hand and special meeting place arranged. Under no circumstances shld it take place at the employer home.

What about the friend of your friend's friend? Don't forget to book and appointment and a 'special meeting place' to meet your own frend(s). Sorry but I find your post repulsive and pathetic! :x