Singapore Expats Forum

UPDATE - Freelancing while on dependent visa

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34338
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 29 Jun 2009 4:13 pm

lsac0902 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:The person on a dependents pass, as noted earlier, can register a business (sole proprietorship) or form a private limited as the sole director.

The person must then contact MOM for a letter of consent, and once the letter of consent is received the person is free to run the business.

As with the Entrepass, businesses not of an entrepreneurial nature (e.g. coffee shops/hawker centres/food courts, foot reflexology/massage parlours, karaoke lounges, money changing/remitting, newspaper vending, geomancy and tuition services etc) will not be considered for a letter of consent.



I plan to give tuition or do some translation as freelance. If I didn't misunderstand, I can register a business as sole proprietorship and then apply for a LoC. Is that correct? thanks


You consider yourself smart enough to give tuition? Which word were you having problems with? NOT or Tuition Services? :o

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34338
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 29 Jun 2009 4:15 pm

Further to my last post. Neither would be considered for a LoC. :roll:

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10471
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 29 Jun 2009 4:36 pm

lsac0902 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:The person on a dependents pass, as noted earlier, can register a business (sole proprietorship) or form a private limited as the sole director.

The person must then contact MOM for a letter of consent, and once the letter of consent is received the person is free to run the business.

As with the Entrepass, businesses not of an entrepreneurial nature (e.g. coffee shops/hawker centres/food courts, foot reflexology/massage parlours, karaoke lounges, money changing/remitting, newspaper vending, geomancy and tuition services etc) will not be considered for a letter of consent.



I plan to give tuition or do some translation as freelance. If I didn't misunderstand, I can register a business as sole proprietorship and then apply for a LoC. Is that correct? thanks


Based upon what I was told by MOM your tuition services would not qualify for an LOC. You can see in your own quote of my post that tuition services will not be approved.

lsac0902
Regular
Regular
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu, 08 Feb 2007
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby lsac0902 » Mon, 29 Jun 2009 5:01 pm

you were talking about the Entrepass, that's why I needed some clarification for the sole proprietorship.

If I do translation service, then, I can go through that procedure. Am I correct?

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10471
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 29 Jun 2009 6:33 pm

lsac0902 wrote:you were talking about the Entrepass, that's why I needed some clarification for the sole proprietorship.

If I do translation service, then, I can go through that procedure. Am I correct?


Hey, you can do whatever you want. I just don't think a translation service will be approved, either because it is not entrepreneurial in nature. But, file and prove me wrong.

You might make it fly if you demonstrated a business plan, had a marketing plan and target market (legal for MNC's?). But just saying you will translate with no sales plan won't fly I don't think.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Tue, 30 Jun 2009 5:28 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
lsac0902 wrote:you were talking about the Entrepass, that's why I needed some clarification for the sole proprietorship.

If I do translation service, then, I can go through that procedure. Am I correct?


Hey, you can do whatever you want. I just don't think a translation service will be approved, either because it is not entrepreneurial in nature. But, file and prove me wrong.

You might make it fly if you demonstrated a business plan, had a marketing plan and target market (legal for MNC's?). But just saying you will translate with no sales plan won't fly I don't think.


SE is correct in what he says, it's all about the way you present the application and probably where you are from, what you are offering and how many more are doing the same here in Singapore, you have to convince the authority you can provide something worth while, with the likelihood of contributing to society and not too many Singaporeans have the same ability.

Without a detailed business plan and forecast, your application will not be considered. I know some people that have been doing business all their life and have failed, with their applications, here in Singapore, they are now constantly travelling even though their business is registered here, they fail to meet the application requirements because of not following the submission criteria correctly.

You must also remember that the entre pass is not tied to your husband and is therefore more critical that it meets the entre pass conditions.

cracktojack
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri, 28 Nov 2008

Postby cracktojack » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 1:00 am

cracktojack wrote:Hi SE, ksl and SMS.... Thanks a ton for your views. You won't believe, but we didn't went on Saturday MOM to appeal for rejection of LOC as we were eagerly waiting for ur replies :-). No we'lll go on Monday

We went through all your posts, and we can say:

1. We are actually setting up a business and will be hiring locals also.

2. We do have proper business plan but we didn't submitted the same to MOM with LOC form as they didn't asked for the same and I feel, if we do excess paperwork, sometimes it backfires.

3. When we consulted MOM, we cleared the air over EntrePass, but the officer said that my wife has DP and as she can setup a company without applying for EntrePass and she have the benefit of this and hence better not to apply EntrePass.

4. And we do belive that business will surely grow as we'll slowly start catering to major parts of world apart from Singapore market taking benefit of Internet.

5. We are aware that Singaporeans are not into buying from Internet, but we do have other plans in mind to cater the market over here by participating in say B2C Shows and all.

I think we'll submit the documents suggested by SE along with Work Experience certificate and Resume.

Lets see.... I hope for the best.

Regards,
CJ


@SE, @KSL @SMS...

thanks for your suggestions and help guys... after two visits to MOM and re appeal and 5 weeks, at last my wife got her LOC approved :).... So now happily concentrating on her startup.... we'll keep you updated for our launch and will be great to hear ur views on the business website..

Thanks again, CJ

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10471
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 7:45 am

cracktojack wrote:
cracktojack wrote:@SE, @KSL @SMS...

thanks for your suggestions and help guys... after two visits to MOM and re appeal and 5 weeks, at last my wife got her LOC approved :).... So now happily concentrating on her startup.... we'll keep you updated for our launch and will be great to hear ur views on the business website..

Thanks again, CJ


Good for you and good luck with the business.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34338
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 8:44 am

Congratulations. I hope your venture is a success!

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Thu, 13 Aug 2009 1:14 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ksl wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:But on this site we cannot advise people to do things that are "currently illegal" according to the current laws of Singapore. And not registering a business while conducting one is illegal. Online or brick & mortar. If you sell from Singapore and Singaporeans can access the site and purchase from the site then you have to be registered. :-|


My point is who are we to say if it is legal or not, surely Singaporeexpats.com will not take that liability, and I'm pretty sure they don't and many lawyers may even back off, if they do not have the experience, international law will over ride anything here in Singapore if it is common practise in well developed Countries and I doubt very much that Singapore would have any issues, with what is internationally excepted but I do understand your concern!



ACRA, IRAS says what's legal in Singapore. SE and I are taking our cues from our dealings with them and their sites and make our replies based on their rulings. we cannot say how we think it should be done and advise someone to do it our way and run foul of the law here. It really doesn't matter what the UK does. I don't understand why the UK keeps cropping up. This is not a crown colony. They have evolved.


I wish you two wouldn't keep posting things, that lead the readers to believe you are right all the time, when you are not! SMS, you better not include SE, he basically avoided putting his foot in his mouth, but i'm waiting to catch him out, :)

Quote SMS ACRA, IRAS says what's legal in Singapore, I don't think so! Try again. :wink: They may enforce the laws that are made, but again they are not in concrete and open to change if need be and they don't always get it right either, department errors happen much more than the errors on this board :lol:

http://www.singaporelaw.sg/

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34338
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 Aug 2009 6:55 am

Yeah, but we are here to help people trying to come to Singapore. That is the purpose of this board. We are not here for semantics and what if's and pie in the sky ideals, if anything were possible just snap your fingers and it will change. People want information that will impact them now. The stuff you harp on will only give, if attempting to buck it, the government a reason to just reject an application. As most government agencies retain the right of rejection without reason given, your information is not something a newcomer would want to espouse on his/her application. Making waves here, as you know, usually have a swift response. Therefore, instead of looking for loopholes, we try to impart the here and now which is what the posters are asking for. Not something hypothetical for a classroom discussion. :-|

The police and ISD don't make the laws either, but you better obey them. Obviously the respective agencies don't "make" the laws, but they are the enforcers and they are the ones who control your applications. So, it would be best to remember that you are in Singapore and not in the UK or somewhere in Scandanavia. The average poster trying to come to Singapore could care less about the UK as it is not relevant to Singapore at all except in a historical sense much the same as the US. Both are Soveign nations now and not beholder to the ways it's done anywhere else in the world. Sad but true. :wink:

Also, laws, as they are written, are often a bit different in actual implementation. e.g., 357A (?) I believe that's the number of the act regarding same sex relationships. What is written is not what is in actual practice is it.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Thu, 13 Aug 2009 4:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah, but we are here to help people trying to come to Singapore. That is the purpose of this board. We are not here for semantics and what if's and pie in the sky ideals, if anything were possible just snap your fingers and it will change. People want information that will impact them now. The stuff you harp on will only give, if attempting to buck it, the government a reason to just reject an application. As most government agencies retain the right of rejection without reason given, your information is not something a newcomer would want to espouse on his/her application. Making waves here, as you know, usually have a swift response. Therefore, instead of looking for loopholes, we try to impart the here and now which is what the posters are asking for. Not something hypothetical for a classroom discussion. :-|

The police and ISD don't make the laws either, but you better obey them. Obviously the respective agencies don't "make" the laws, but they are the enforcers and they are the ones who control your applications. So, it would be best to remember that you are in Singapore and not in the UK or somewhere in Scandanavia. The average poster trying to come to Singapore could care less about the UK as it is not relevant to Singapore at all except in a historical sense much the same as the US. Both are Soveign nations now and not beholder to the ways it's done anywhere else in the world. Sad but true. :wink:

Also, laws, as they are written, are often a bit different in actual implementation. e.g., 357A (?) I believe that's the number of the act regarding same sex relationships. What is written is not what is in actual practice is it.
Stay on the objective side, and don't assume anything, would be the best...and let expats make their own minds up. I have seen several errors of judgment from moderators which only makes them more vulnerable and possibly liable if it is seen that moderators are offering wrong information. Always best to stay on the right side of the bar!

Everything can be appealed, believe it or not! Like the lucky one just proved. :wink:
Singapore Law:8.1.3 The rules developed in the Singapore courts do, nevertheless, bear a very close resemblance to those developed under English common law. Indeed, where there is no Singapore authority specifically on point, it will usually be assumed that the position will, in the first instance, be no different from that in England.
What was you saying about the UK? :wink: I'm not surprised you are not up to date on the relevance of Singapore & UK, the Yanks have always wanted to get a foot hold, slim chance of that :P
SMS:The average poster trying to come to Singapore could care less about the UK as it is not relevant to Singapore at all except in a historical sense

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Fri, 14 Aug 2009 6:06 pm

ksl wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah, but we are here to help people trying to come to Singapore. That is the purpose of this board. We are not here for semantics and what if's and pie in the sky ideals, if anything were possible just snap your fingers and it will change. People want information that will impact them now. The stuff you harp on will only give, if attempting to buck it, the government a reason to just reject an application. As most government agencies retain the right of rejection without reason given, your information is not something a newcomer would want to espouse on his/her application. Making waves here, as you know, usually have a swift response. Therefore, instead of looking for loopholes, we try to impart the here and now which is what the posters are asking for. Not something hypothetical for a classroom discussion. :-|

The police and ISD don't make the laws either, but you better obey them. Obviously the respective agencies don't "make" the laws, but they are the enforcers and they are the ones who control your applications. So, it would be best to remember that you are in Singapore and not in the UK or somewhere in Scandanavia. The average poster trying to come to Singapore could care less about the UK as it is not relevant to Singapore at all except in a historical sense much the same as the US. Both are Soveign nations now and not beholder to the ways it's done anywhere else in the world. Sad but true. :wink:

Also, laws, as they are written, are often a bit different in actual implementation. e.g., 357A (?) I believe that's the number of the act regarding same sex relationships. What is written is not what is in actual practice is it.
Stay on the objective side, and don't assume anything, would be the best...and let expats make their own minds up. I have seen several errors of judgment from moderators which only makes them more vulnerable and possibly liable if it is seen that moderators are offering wrong information. Always best to stay on the right side of the bar!

Everything can be appealed, believe it or not! Like the lucky one just proved. :wink:
Singapore Law:8.1.3 The rules developed in the Singapore courts do, nevertheless, bear a very close resemblance to those developed under English common law. Indeed, where there is no Singapore authority specifically on point, it will usually be assumed that the position will, in the first instance, be no different from that in England.
What was you saying about the UK? :wink: I'm not surprised you are not up to date on the relevance of Singapore & UK, the Yanks have always wanted to get a foot hold, slim chance of that :P
SMS:The average poster trying to come to Singapore could care less about the UK as it is not relevant to Singapore at all except in a historical sense
:wink:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34338
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Aug 2009 6:35 pm

ksl wrote:
ksl wrote: Stay on the objective side, and don't assume anything, would be the best...and let expats make their own minds up. I have seen several errors of judgment from moderators which only makes them more vulnerable and possibly liable if it is seen that moderators are offering wrong information. Always best to stay on the right side of the bar!

Everything can be appealed, believe it or not! Like the lucky one just proved. :wink:
Singapore Law:8.1.3 The rules developed in the Singapore courts do, nevertheless, bear a very close resemblance to those developed under English common law. Indeed, where there is no Singapore authority specifically on point, it will usually be assumed that the position will, in the first instance, be no different from that in England.
What was you saying about the UK? :wink: I'm not surprised you are not up to date on the relevance of Singapore & UK, the Yanks have always wanted to get a foot hold, slim chance of that :P
SMS:The average poster trying to come to Singapore could care less about the UK as it is not relevant to Singapore at all except in a historical sense
:wink:


Again, you have proved my point, "except in a historical sense". Means most laws here have been revamped to Singapore's own usage and it's only on old laws that haven't been tested that still retain the UK's position. :P

Oh, but I am up to date on the relevance here, it's just that Singapore, like the US, has taken from the UK only what they need to keep until that also gets tested and found wanting like so much has.... All else has been modified and upgraded from the antiquated laws of the original parent. :wink:

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 1:29 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ksl wrote:
ksl wrote: Stay on the objective side, and don't assume anything, would be the best...and let expats make their own minds up. I have seen several errors of judgment from moderators which only makes them more vulnerable and possibly liable if it is seen that moderators are offering wrong information. Always best to stay on the right side of the bar!

Everything can be appealed, believe it or not! Like the lucky one just proved. :wink:
Singapore Law:8.1.3 The rules developed in the Singapore courts do, nevertheless, bear a very close resemblance to those developed under English common law. Indeed, where there is no Singapore authority specifically on point, it will usually be assumed that the position will, in the first instance, be no different from that in England.
What was you saying about the UK? :wink: I'm not surprised you are not up to date on the relevance of Singapore & UK, the Yanks have always wanted to get a foot hold, slim chance of that :P
SMS:The average poster trying to come to Singapore could care less about the UK as it is not relevant to Singapore at all except in a historical sense
:wink:


Again, you have proved my point, "except in a historical sense". Means most laws here have been revamped to Singapore's own usage and it's only on old laws that haven't been tested that still retain the UK's position. :P

No that isn't what it was saying, it was saying that if Singapore does not have a law to cover the situation, that it is likely UK law will be refered too :P

Oh, but I am up to date on the relevance here, it's just that Singapore, like the US, has taken from the UK only what they need to keep until that also gets tested and found wanting like so much has.... All else has been modified and upgraded from the antiquated laws of the original parent. :wink:
Wrong again, Singapore laws are changed only to protect against subversive activity in the interest of law and order, that is why their is so much frustration from Americans and other Europeans :lol: 25 years here must be like a prison sentence for Yanks and everyone else that believed in freedom, The rest is cut and censored by me, because I let my feelings get the better of me!

Take a look at what American soldiers and UK soldiers die for, this is your politicians, that do not give a toss about numbers or grieveing families, personally I think Asians are more for doing things for the community good and of course use the laws to their own advantage, for the sake of stability, to let rebellious minorities have their say, is not the way at all. The hatchet will be used, and so it should be, that way everyone knows where they stand! Even me, when i walk across a road on a red light, if i do the crime, i will do the time, it doesn't stop me having respect for law and order. So you are certainly wrong about me bucking systems, I would rather refine them in a way of being practical for all. Red lights are a crossing aid, if you need one, and many people do, especially children. But humans are neither robots or have the time to waste waiting at lights that are not even working for the benefit of the pedestrians. No matter how much the pyschological effect of pushing the button to change traffic lights work, it doesn't work on me! So it must be meant for the other 4.8 million and 987 people :roll:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8204207.stm when so may have died for it.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest