Singapore Expats

Renouciation of singapore citizenship

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
macson

Renouciation of singapore citizenship

Post by macson » Fri, 22 May 2009 8:07 pm

Hi Guys,

I was born in Australia and live and study in Singapore since 1year old, my current citizenship status is "Registration of minors".

Currently im 21 year old, and have took the Oath of Renunciation, Allegiance and Loyalty few months back, back then my decision was uncertain.

I want to know my options if I'm allow to renounce my Singapore citizenship and be a Australia citizen, so to not serve NS.

What i heard from CMPB, she said that i've live and study in singapore, even if i manage to renounce my citizenship, i still have to serve NS.
They said i owe singapore something, meaning NS.

Please help, thanks in advance.

Cheers

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: Renouciation of singapore citizenship

Post by Plavt » Fri, 22 May 2009 8:13 pm

macson wrote: What i heard from CMPB, she said that i've live and study in singapore, even if i manage to renounce my citizenship, i still have to serve NS.
Looks like you already have the answer....

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 May 2009 10:41 pm

Yep. You have to do NS. That or be a deserter and chance being picked up by the authorities and thrown in the brig until hell freezes over.......
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

macson

Re: Renouciation of singapore citizenship

Post by macson » Sat, 23 May 2009 12:55 am

Plavt wrote:
macson wrote: What i heard from CMPB, she said that i've live and study in singapore, even if i manage to renounce my citizenship, i still have to serve NS.
Looks like you already have the answer....
yep, but on the other hand, ICA said i can renounce my Singapore citizenship after getting my Australian citizenship. I'm pretty certain that I'm able to get it as I'm born in Australia. According to CMPB there's a slim chances, but im will to take the chance to know my options.

However my question is, is there such thing as owning Singapore something, and have to use NS as a mean to repay ?
These are the area im very unclear. and someone please enlighten me.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 23 May 2009 11:25 am

Under Singapore law, if you have acquired Singapore Citizenship or Permanent Residence, and you have enjoyed any of the socio-economic benefits of have same, then by law your are legally obligated to do National Service. Having enjoyed the socio-economic benefits basically means having attended secondary schooling ( Secondary 1 or more); OR, having held a Singapore NRIC AND/OR Passport. If so, then, as a requisite of having taken/enjoyed these things you also inherited the obligation to do NS as well. Singapore is a Sovereign Nation and therefore it's laws are sacrosanct for all that use the Country's benefits. If you listen to the music, by law you much pay the piper.

While you might get away from Singapore without doing NS, you will never be able to return to Singapore in the future as you will be classified as a deserter and should you be found out here, you would be jailed or fined or both (and you will still have to do NS).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

macson

Post by macson » Sat, 23 May 2009 2:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Under Singapore law, if you have acquired Singapore Citizenship or Permanent Residence, and you have enjoyed any of the socio-economic benefits of have same, then by law your are legally obligated to do National Service. Having enjoyed the socio-economic benefits basically means having attended secondary schooling ( Secondary 1 or more); OR, having held a Singapore NRIC AND/OR Passport. If so, then, as a requisite of having taken/enjoyed these things you also inherited the obligation to do NS as well. Singapore is a Sovereign Nation and therefore it's laws are sacrosanct for all that use the Country's benefits. If you listen to the music, by law you much pay the piper.

While you might get away from Singapore without doing NS, you will never be able to return to Singapore in the future as you will be classified as a deserter and should you be found out here, you would be jailed or fined or both (and you will still have to do NS).
i understood you, however we are allow to refuse or to take the Oath of Renunciation, Allegiance and Loyalty at the age of 21. Having not taking it, my citizenship will be taken away. am i right ?
If i choose not to take it, back then, am i still by law have to serve army even benefited from socio-economic?

Secondly, lets say i've already fulfilled my duty by serving NS, i choose to drop my singapore citizenship and obtain an australian citizenship. by right im not a singaporean and wont have to fight for singapore right ? if that's the case why do i have to serve NS?

Sorry too many question. i wont mind serving but just want to know what are my options.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 23 May 2009 10:01 pm

macson wrote:
i understood you, however we are allow to refuse or to take the Oath of Renunciation, Allegiance and Loyalty at the age of 21. Having not taking it, my citizenship will be taken away. am i right ?
If i choose not to take it, back then, am i still by law have to serve army even benefited from socio-economic?

Yes. If you were a PR (Permanent Resident) and you enjoyed those benefits you are obligated to serve NS here. That one of the codicils of taking up PR. As a PR you still don't have Singaporean Citizenship but it is one of the obligation you accept by accepting PR. So whether or not you take of oath of allegiance or not, you cannot shirk your NS obligations.

Secondly, lets say i've already fulfilled my duty by serving NS, i choose to drop my singapore citizenship and obtain an australian citizenship. by right im not a singaporean and wont have to fight for singapore right ? if that's the case why do i have to serve NS?

Because it's the law? You have to pay for that which you used here. Very simple really. If you use it, you are obligated to pay for it. There are no free rides in the world today. If you are serving NS and Singapore goes to war, yes you would have to fight. Once you have served your basic NS (18-21 months), you are free to give up your citizenship or PR and go your merry way. It also leaves the doors open for the future as well rather than closing them permanently.

Sorry too many question. i wont mind serving but just want to know what are my options.
sms

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 26 May 2009 10:49 pm

hey buddy. before you continue flappin away, you should get your foreign citizenship first.

does australia have jus soli in place to grant you what you want? do you know what the limitations are?

or are you expecting a kangaroo to hop by with all your papers and travel documents and what not?

even then, you got no way outta NS except running away and never coming back to singapore.

seeing that you have been here since aged uno, you probably gonna regret that. so first think twice. no, make that thrice.

time to man up, eh!