Singapore Expats Forum

Tullamarine terror

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue, 27 Feb 2007
Location: Singapore (Finally!)

Postby sierra2469alpha » Tue, 26 May 2009 10:10 pm

rattlenake - My mistake - viruses. Apologies. Nice choice of word, too :)

My other points still stand.

@Plavt - stop misquoting me - use context please. This is the second time you have done that recently and I am growing quite weary of it. You're a good mod - act like one again. We have a one mod here who are into misquoting many for their own passive-aggressive persona. I'd hate to see you do that.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11108
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 26 May 2009 10:30 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:We have a one mod here who are into misquoting many for their own passive-aggressive persona. I'd hate to see you do that.


Hmm... should that be 'is' instead of 'are'? No matter... which mod is that??

(Being aggressively passive... or is that passively agressive) 8-)

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed, 20 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby Nath21 » Wed, 27 May 2009 10:24 am

To the people who are jumping down my throat you have misread my intentions I am talking about que jumping (yes I know how to spell but the nazis didnt win the war so internet typing mistakes are not an offence last time I looked) not trying to smuggle illegal or potentially threatning goods in. I realise the document you sign is a legal document, and that people are a control point themselves (note the legal docuement is not a control). Again I reiterarte my first point and even if you think I was referring to smuggling the declare line is an automatic bag check and any organic matter will come up in the scanner.

So I dont get your arguement, that im un australian and stupid and a criminal and cant spell just because I dont want to wait an hour and half in the non declare line only to have a small chance of actually going through the scanner and having a bag check in the non declare line.

User avatar
carteki
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1237
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2008
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby carteki » Wed, 27 May 2009 11:22 am

From what I am reading is it correct to assume that if you don't declare anything you're treated as "suspect" and go through a 100% scan, but if you declare something they don't check the rest of the luggage - major control breakdown. (And it doesn't have to be organic Mr P!)

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Tullamarine terror

Postby Plavt » Wed, 27 May 2009 12:49 pm

ozchick wrote: Personally I feel that the OZ government's stance which outlaws all edible items is just overkill......


This is the problem, a good many food stuffs are not going to make any difference. Perhaps Japan should stop buying Australian beef (if it hasn't already). :roll:

rattlesnake
Regular
Regular
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu, 27 Nov 2008

Postby rattlesnake » Wed, 27 May 2009 7:15 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:rattlenake - My mistake - viruses. Apologies. Nice choice of word, too :)


Thanks, I got it from wikipedia, I'm not smart enough to know words like that.

rattlesnake
Regular
Regular
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu, 27 Nov 2008

Postby rattlesnake » Wed, 27 May 2009 7:18 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:
My other points still stand.



I don't think anyone disagrees with your points, they just have nothing to do with the proposition being discussed. Don't worry, you're not alone. :-s

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 661
Joined: Wed, 04 Jan 2006

Postby bigfilsing » Wed, 27 May 2009 8:26 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:My other points still stand.
.


You're clearly just itching for a bash aren;t you mate. typical!

I am not cheating anything. I am declaring an unopened packet of non OZ tax paid ciggarettes. Perfectly legal and above board, in fact it's a requirement.
That it happens to ease the pain of a ridiculos customs and immigration control that bares likeness to a 3rd world country, is purely a bonus.

Now get on my case again about complying with "your" laws :D

User avatar
sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue, 27 Feb 2007
Location: Singapore (Finally!)

Postby sierra2469alpha » Wed, 27 May 2009 9:09 pm

bigfilsing wrote:
...You're clearly just itching for a bash aren;t you mate. typical!...


Aside from the usual squabbles, no. It seems you want to have a "bash" and welcome to the real world.

You made ONE post in this thread. Given the number of helpful posts you've given in all of the forum (I counted less than 8 helpful posts), I'd suggest you start to remember the "helpful" word. Might help you in your real life also.

Ciggies going into AUS are NOT a problem unless you are 200 sticks+.

I am not going to get onto your case because there is no point (you are the one that wants it - I post fact, not semi-read citations with muppet-like editorials). See my previous posts and READ them. If that is too difficult for you, find another forum to vent.

Mr. P.

Mr. P.

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Wed, 27 May 2009 9:34 pm

carteki wrote:but if you declare something they don't check the rest of the luggage - major control breakdown.


the last 3 years saw me flying through/to australia/NZ regularly.

when i do declare the food i have, i'm always subjected to a thorough baggage search and questioning. i do not hold an australian or new zealand passport.

the first time i brought in green tomato ketchup as a gift for a friend in sydney. the second time i had a few boxes of frosties (they don't have them where i'm at in NZ).

after those 2 occasions, i no longer bring any food with me, coz i feel it's not worth the hassle.

having observed other people who've declared their own items, it seems that only non-citizens have to endure such a rigorous search.

this next bit has nothing to do with declaration, just a rant coz i'm grouchy:

THE NASTINESS HAS BEEN SELF-EDITED OUT because in retrospect, i felt it's irrelevant... more details on what made me surly can be found here:

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic60540.html

so... no, just because you declare food doesn't mean you're gonna have less stuff searched.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 661
Joined: Wed, 04 Jan 2006

Postby bigfilsing » Thu, 28 May 2009 11:27 am

sierra2469alpha wrote:
bigfilsing wrote:
...You're clearly just itching for a bash aren;t you mate. typical!...


Aside from the usual squabbles, no. It seems you want to have a "bash" and welcome to the real world.

You made ONE post in this thread. Given the number of helpful posts you've given in all of the forum (I counted less than 8 helpful posts), I'd suggest you start to remember the "helpful" word. Might help you in your real life also.

Ciggies going into AUS are NOT a problem unless you are 200 sticks+.

I am not going to get onto your case because there is no point (you are the one that wants it - I post fact, not semi-read citations with muppet-like editorials). See my previous posts and READ them. If that is too difficult for you, find another forum to vent.

Mr. P.

Mr. P.


I do so apologise for not posting more helpful info. I tend to post when i have something to offer. Rather than sweeping statements that inevitably put a bullet sized hole in my foot.

( of course SMS will now recite all my foot shot events of recent years :) )

I probably do want a bash. I tend to get that way when confronted with people who don't have the balls to admit when they're wrong.

It's nice of you to distract from the facts in your attempt at ridicule. Fact remains i have to live by the laws of each and every country i visit and by legitimately declaring what may be a customs infrignement ( 200 + is BS, BTW) and in doing so easing the tedious adventure that is air travel today, then either change the law or live with it.

i should probably apologise that i can;t remember the exact customs allowances of the 15 or so countries i visit a year and when in doubt play it safe. After spending 10 hours locked up at Taipei airprot for carrying "Loctite" instant metal that apparently has the same X-ray signature as C4 i don't take any chances 8-)

Oh and which Muppet ...we all have our favourites ?

If you mean "the real world" that includes searching other posters posts and counting specific ones then may i suggest you
a/ get a life
b/ leave me to my little world ...i'm fine

Cheers

User avatar
Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue, 25 Oct 2005

Postby Quasimodo » Thu, 28 May 2009 3:02 pm

bigfilsing wrote:
You're clearly just itching for a bash aren;t you mate. typical!


That suits your m.o. more likely.

Sierra is passionate and you are simply an oaf
One in the hand is worth two of something

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 661
Joined: Wed, 04 Jan 2006

Postby bigfilsing » Sat, 30 May 2009 7:22 pm

Quasimodo wrote:
bigfilsing wrote:
You're clearly just itching for a bash aren;t you mate. typical!


That suits your m.o. more likely.

Sierra is passionate and you are simply an oaf


To quote GLC

"I've tried seeing it from your point of view but i couldn't fit my head up your arsehole too"

User avatar
sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue, 27 Feb 2007
Location: Singapore (Finally!)

Postby sierra2469alpha » Sat, 30 May 2009 7:49 pm

bigfilsing wrote:To quote GLC

"I've tried seeing it from your point of view but i couldn't fit my head up your arsehole too"


Unfortunately, bigfilsing, your arrogance here is neither wanted nor appreciated. Please read posts before replying - a case in point is mine about cigarettes - you take 200+ into AUS you will get done.

Read, rinse, repeat. READ. Then try to think and help people out for a change. It's ACTUALLY really easy to be nice.

Mr. P

rattlesnake
Regular
Regular
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu, 27 Nov 2008

Postby rattlesnake » Sat, 30 May 2009 9:00 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:
bigfilsing wrote:To quote GLC

"I've tried seeing it from your point of view but i couldn't fit my head up your arsehole too"


Unfortunately, bigfilsing, your arrogance here is neither wanted nor appreciated. Please read posts before replying - a case in point is mine about cigarettes - you take 200+ into AUS you will get done.

Read, rinse, repeat. READ. Then try to think and help people out for a change. It's ACTUALLY really easy to be nice.

Mr. P


Thats a bit rich coming from you - to help maybe you should read, "understand" read then reply. Attack me back if you like, but please make it relevant and/or accurate.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests