Singapore Expats

Tullamarine terror

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Tue, 02 Jun 2009 1:35 am

Witless as in somebody that doesn't have their wit's about them Slightly different concept than humour/ wit ........y'hear!

(did you like the plurality of usage for the word?) What on earth are you rattling on about man!

Me? sounding all posh? ...yeah like that! Still prefer muppet thou :)

It's such a shame you can't manage to channel your energy into something useful instead of slinging personal insults left, right and tuesday.

Cheers

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Tue, 02 Jun 2009 9:47 am

bigfilsing wrote:Witless as in somebody that doesn't have their wit's about them Slightly different concept than humour/ wit ........y'hear!

(did you like the plurality of usage for the word?) What on earth are you rattling on about man!

Me? sounding all posh? ...yeah like that! Still prefer muppet thou :)

It's such a shame you can't manage to channel your energy into something useful instead of slinging personal insults left, right and tuesday.

Cheers
Oh dear . . . Hey, Kettle . . . you are black!

Is u fer reel?
The only reason I offer this correction is because it isn't likely someone would say it to you.
Thanks, mate . . . another reason I wouldn't hear that is because I'm not too keen on spending time with inbred rednecks who think roadkill is haute cuisine. :)
One in the hand is worth two of something

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pakjohn » Tue, 02 Jun 2009 9:58 am

Thanks, mate . . . another reason I wouldn't hear that is because I'm not too keen on spending time with inbred rednecks who think roadkill is haute cuisine.
Well, since you said mate I'm not offended. :) I think you're comical, and just a bit sad.
Pakjohn

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Tue, 02 Jun 2009 10:09 am

Nah, not sad, quite the contrary . . .

Would you believe I was married in the deep south? Southern Baptist friends of mine, whom I studied with at Northwestern, did the 'ceremony', very sweet people . . . though toasting was a bit of a let-down with orange cordial. :?

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pakjohn » Tue, 02 Jun 2009 10:17 am

Would you believe I was married in the deep south? Southern Baptist friends of mine, whom I studied with at Northwestern, did the 'ceremony', very sweet people . . . though toasting was a bit of a let-down with orange cordial.
lol! That's funny, but not surprising. Most southerners don't drink and in many places it's illegal to sell alcohol.
Pakjohn

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 02 Jun 2009 10:47 am

pakjohn wrote:Most southerners don't drink...
Is that why Budweiser is brought in by the 18 wheeler load to virtually every small town in Texas and Louisiana?

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Tue, 02 Jun 2009 11:22 am

Quasimodo wrote:Nah, not sad, quite the contrary . . .

Would you believe I was married in the deep south? Southern Baptist friends of mine, whom I studied with at Northwestern, did the 'ceremony', very sweet people . . . though toasting was a bit of a let-down with orange cordial. :?
haha. thought you were going to write mint julip!

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Tue, 02 Jun 2009 11:39 am

pakjohn wrote:
Would you believe I was married in the deep south? Southern Baptist friends of mine, whom I studied with at Northwestern, did the 'ceremony', very sweet people . . . though toasting was a bit of a let-down with orange cordial.
lol! That's funny, but not surprising. Most southerners don't drink and in many places it's illegal to sell alcohol.
Funny if you hear about it afterwards . . . not so funny if you left the organisation up to your drinking buddy who then went and married a SB preacher's daughter . . . :?

(Outside of the S. Baptists, I'm sure southerners drink more than the average Merkin . . . bunch of drunks., but fun)

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pakjohn » Tue, 02 Jun 2009 11:39 am

Is that why Budweiser is brought in by the 18 wheeler load to virtually every small town in Texas and Louisiana?
I won't speak for Louisana and Texas, but in Antebellum southeast you'll find most southerners don't drink and many counties are still dry. The cities are full of snowbirds from nothern U.S. and Canada that drink it though. They say the only good thing coming out of Louisiana is I-20, and I'd think the drink of choice in Texas to be tequila or Pearl, not Bud.

BTW, when I say "southerner" I'm excluding snowbirds. :)
Pakjohn

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Jun 2009 11:44 am

pakjohn wrote:
Well, My mom's from southern West 'by god' Virginia (Bluefield) and while that's not Georgia, it damned sure the south, course there are subtle differences between a redneck an a hillbilly, but the shine is still good, but to be honest some of the best shine I ever had came from areas along the Catawba river in N. & S. Carolina while doing diving inspections of the many dams along that river. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pakjohn » Tue, 02 Jun 2009 1:43 pm

Okay, enough already! lol! I acknowledge defeat... there are people in the south that drink, millions of them!

Our definition of a southerner is apparently different. I was referring to Quasi-'s post where he used the term "deep south". Generally speaking I'd consider that below the gnat line. (So would most southerners) These people generally hold old tradition, black and white, regulars at church on Sunday and bible study on Wednesday. They usually don't drink.

But I'll tip my hat to all the redneck, hillbilly, snowbird friends and relatives people here seem to know in the south with a hearty "bottoms up!" lol!
Pakjohn

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Tue, 02 Jun 2009 3:18 pm

pakjohm wrote:
But I'll tip my hat to all the redneck, hillbilly, snowbird friends and relatives people here seem to know in the south with a hearty "bottoms up!"
Now that's more Village and SF territory . . .

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pakjohn » Tue, 02 Jun 2009 3:41 pm

Now that's more Village and SF territory . . .

lol!
Pakjohn

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Jun 2009 6:30 pm

I often wondered why they use an antebellum home on the label for Sudden Discomfort? Sorry, Southern Comfort. And dem Tenneessee hills and mountain spring waters are pretty good for Jack Black, which, not surprisingly, finds the distillery in a dry county. :) But you are right about lots of folks not drinking in the deep south (at least that they'll admit too that is - check out the back corner of their bedroom closet though! You gotta watch them Southern Baptists I'm telling ya! I spent 7 years in Louisiana and a year or so in Texas as well but ALL dem oil hands, be dey from de south or de north all swill anything they can get there hands on including Billy Beer. (Bit hard to find one of dem now though.) :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Tue, 02 Jun 2009 6:36 pm

Crikey - and I thought us Aussies were bad with our stories from the "southern state" - well, territory!

Return to “General Discussions”