Singapore Expats Forum

Low fat ice-cream?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Low fat ice-cream?

Postby ozchick » Fri, 22 May 2009 7:49 pm

Anyone know if we can get this in Singapore...can't find in Cold Storage or some of the Fairprices I've tried.
Back home there were quite a few brands of this type of product where the calories are considerably fewer but flavour quite acceptable. Grateful for any advice yeah?
Oz
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Postby pakjohn » Fri, 22 May 2009 8:21 pm

The closest thing I've seen to low fat is the different flavored frozen yogurt at Carrefour. Low fat and one variety is low sugar as well; it satisfies my rare ice cream urge even though they fall just a bit short of the natural creaminess of ice cream.
Pakjohn

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asian_Geekette » Fri, 22 May 2009 11:12 pm

It's good that ozchick posted this question. I was wondering about the low-fat ice cream options here in SG.

pakjohn, thanks for the tip. :)
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 22 May 2009 11:35 pm

Asian_Geekette wrote:It's good that ozchick posted this question. I was wondering about the low-fat ice cream options here in SG.

You will also be surprised that Ice cream is actually lower in sugar, than a bagel, wholemeal bread, or cornflakes...

With a glycemic index of 61. Made from Yoghurt it comes in with a rating of around 36. Skimmed Milk 32 whole milk 27, fats i wouldn't worry too much about unless there is bad fat. The body needs fats even if you are fat, what it doesn't need is sugar.

The base is Glucose with a rating of 100, Maltose 105 Honey 55 sucrose 68, lactose 46 fructos at 19.........So worry about keeping your insulin levels low, so that normal glucagon (fat burning) takes place. Ice cream is okay a cup a day if you are active.

Personally i would recommend everyone to have a blood sugar tester in the home, along with blood pressure machine, it's really surprising how often one uses it, when feeling unwell, because of too high or low blood sugar... controlling blood sugar will result in fat loss, because you force the body into glucagon mode and do not increase the insulin. Just a little useful advice for the health conscious.

Of course those involved in sport activities would have to take into account the energy needs, before and during training, but ice cream is okay, the good fats being needed for the fuel mix.

Dee_Da_Man

Postby Dee_Da_Man » Sat, 23 May 2009 6:14 am

Go try Jason's Market Place on the basement lvl of Raffles City Mall.
I remember I saw this low fat chocolate ice cream bar claiming to be
100 Kcal each or something. When it comes to finding
low-fat or sugar-free drinks, desserts and stuffs, you have the best chance
@ Jason's market place. Good luck!

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sat, 23 May 2009 10:02 am

Thanks all- printing this out now. I live in hope! I scream for ice-scream!
:)

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sat, 23 May 2009 10:05 am

ksl wrote:
Asian_Geekette wrote:It's good that ozchick posted this question. I was wondering about the low-fat ice cream options here in SG.

You will also be surprised that Ice cream is actually lower in sugar, than a bagel, wholemeal bread, or cornflakes...

With a glycemic index of 61. Made from Yoghurt it comes in with a rating of around 36. Skimmed Milk 32 whole milk 27, fats i wouldn't worry too much about unless there is bad fat. The body needs fats even if you are fat, what it doesn't need is sugar.

The base is Glucose with a rating of 100, Maltose 105 Honey 55 sucrose 68, lactose 46 fructos at 19.........So worry about keeping your insulin levels low, so that normal glucagon (fat burning) takes place. Ice cream is okay a cup a day if you are active.

Personally i would recommend everyone to have a blood sugar tester in the home, along with blood pressure machine, it's really surprising how often one uses it, when feeling unwell, because of too high or low blood sugar... controlling blood sugar will result in fat loss, because you force the body into glucagon mode and do not increase the insulin. Just a little useful advice for the health conscious.

Of course those involved in sport activities would have to take into account the energy needs, before and during training, but ice cream is okay, the good fats being needed for the fuel mix.

How do yoy sleep at night Kayser?! You got so many facts and figures floating around in your head you must have trouble switching off?! OR is it all that vinegar you've been drinking?! :wink:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 23 May 2009 11:39 am

ozchick wrote:
ksl wrote:

How do yoy sleep at night Kayser?! You got so many facts and figures floating around in your head you must have trouble switching off?! OR is it all that vinegar you've been drinking?! :wink:

The vinegar also helps break down the sugar in food, haven't you tried it yet?
Try the sweet apple cocktail, with a dash of mint, with lots of crushed ice. The mint you can get in carrefour!

Drink with all your meals to cut down the sugar spikes in the blood, and drink if you are feeling weak or fatigued. Amino acid metabolic kickstarter, helps lower the insulin. which is the opposite to glucagon.

Also eat porridge with flax seed and sun flower seeds, to make it nutty, a little honey to sweeten.
An example of carbohydrate loading goes like this...

Breakfast a bowl of porridge 30g grated apple half, a tub of yogurt and milk. carbohydrate loading 9
compared to a bowl of cornflakes, a banana and milk sugar loading of 35

Meaning the one with the lowest number releases glucose more slowly into the blood, which also means you are satisfied longer, because you are not craving sweetness

The idea is to stay within 50 points a day, to produce glucagon hormone for fat reduction, its quite easy and one doesn't feel like eating more, if you have 200 grams of porridge, that last's me a good 6 hrs, I also eat ice cream a couple of times a week, but make sure it is low yoghurt based.

I'm only trying to regulate my sugar by food management, and the weight is dropping rather quickly for me, and of course if i want a 12 ich pizza, i just compensate over the next day or two, with salad and fish, so no fast rules, just think about what is going in.

I was also shocked to find a tub of ice cream was okay once or twice a week. so portion size matters.

Can't sleep at night, that's true, I need more sex :P I mean if I'm going to have a heart attack, i want to go out with a smile on my face, not just thinking about it :lol: The mrs thinks i'm joking god bless her :roll:

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sillingw » Sat, 23 May 2009 2:10 pm

there is a stall in vivo city - basement level 1 near homefix diy that sells sugar free and low fat ice crems, also I believe Hagen Daz (sp) in vivo city does the same, there is also a ben & jerry's there. Me and my son often share a banana split in HD. Personally low fat sugar free ice cream is like decaf coffee - pointless :)