gardening advice needed....

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
UK-HK-SIN

gardening advice needed....

Post by UK-HK-SIN » Thu, 21 May 2009 1:39 pm

We are new to singapore and will have a small garden at the front of the house we will rent. It is already established - just needs some clearing but I want to introduce some flowering plants and maybe some herbs in pots. I am looking for any advice as to what types of plants are suitable for this climate.

Also can anyone recommend a garden centre that offers a good range of small shrubs ??

Thank you in advance ;)

carolynW
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carolynW » Fri, 22 May 2009 6:08 pm

Plants are quite a personal thing. It also depends on what you like (to cook? or to use it for) and the conditions the area you plan to plant them in.

Do you plan to dig up an area or to grow in pots? do you have a preference?

I like fringe-ing the house with pandan as it keeps mosquitoes out. Basil, dill and mint in pots. Indian oregano (together with almonds from the TCM store and dried sweet fruit makes a great cough mixture). I just got a pot of stevia and use the fresh and dried leaves (1/4 spoon of stevia substitutes 1 cup of sugar and does not mess with blood sugar and immune system the way sugar does).

I have found soil here very clay-ey. So if you plan to dig, you may have to purchase soil. But if you are into gardening, you can get free horse poo (does not smell) from the stables at Eng Neo.

Plants can be quite expensive here too, there are a few groups that exchange cuttings and plants of all types to keep costs down.

happigal

Post by happigal » Tue, 26 May 2009 5:57 pm

If you have a sunny spot - bougenvilla will add a wonderful burst of color. Not sure if you have kids, but bougenvillas do have thorns. Coleus also add lots of color, but won't reach shrub height.

Check out the nurseries along Thomson Road. If you are adventurous, you can always check out World Farm which is one of the suppliers to the nurseries out at Bah Soon Pah Road. Bring a hat!

UK-HK-SIN

Thanks for the tips !!

Post by UK-HK-SIN » Wed, 27 May 2009 5:30 pm

thanks for the tips... esp the Pandan one !!! Mozzies LOVE me......

The herbs a a good one cos I do cook a lot so will be looking into having lots of thoes around. Are there any plants that mozzies love so I can avoid them ????

I was going down Clementi Road yesterday and saw a big nursery.... so i might go back tomorrow and have a little look !!!

I just need to sign the deal on the house now !!!!

jasmini

Post by jasmini » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 2:57 pm

hi, can i know which area you'll be staying?

personally i would highly recommend you to go Far East Flora along Thomson road. the range is the widest and prices are reasonable. i think their plants are the best. :D

if you're looking for hoses and reels to water plants and wash the car, you can get it there too. i personally am in love with Hozelock (it's UK brand) it's reliable and love the color and look!

oh and don't forget to choose your pots - they can re-pot nicely for you. they provide delivery too.

LoriW
Regular
Regular

Post by LoriW » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 3:25 pm

Have a look round "Hort Park" - a newish show garden type place at Alexandra Road. They have a small garden centre too but when I went there last week I found it quite inspirational.

I'm going to really miss my garden when I move out to Singapore so growing something is pretty important to me.

Basil seems to grow incredibly well - which is fab for me since I struggle to grow it in the UK - slugs love it ;) Lots of home made pesto!!

I've seen the big garden centre on Clementi Road too - need to plan a visit there.

UK-HK-SIN

Post by UK-HK-SIN » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 5:08 pm

Am staying very centrally, near Orchard so Thompson Road is not too far. I am going to explore both Thompson Road and Clementi next week. I think.....

Yes will definitely need a hose and other bits and bobs.... :) Have spent 3 years in an apartment so am very excited about the small outside space I have !!!

jasmini

Post by jasmini » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 5:17 pm

Cool! Unless you're looking for a bargain, Far East Flora should suffice. They have nice indoor and outdoor plants, herbs and nice flowers at cheap prices. Howwver some of the smaller nice pots can be expensive, so you may want to buy elsewhere like Ikea and ask them to re-pot for you.
Jurong area has cheap pots of plants at wholesale prices.

If you're away on trips, you can try getting a AquaPod that regularly waters the plants for you. It's automated. I'm thinking of getting one from hozelock as my hubby and i travels frequently and we have no maid to water the plants for us. My worry is the ease of fixing :???:

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 10:54 pm

Tell me, jasmini... you are posting from an Australian IP address, promoting a specific business... tell me why I should not delete your posts as advertising?

Moderator.

jasmini

Post by jasmini » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 10:46 am

hi moderator

oh dear, i seriously don't know about the IP address, but i'm currently in SINGAPORE and i'm using my company's laptop in singapore. if you want proof, i can give you my office/home number, and you can call me to verify that i'm indeed in singapore! (sorry i'm new to gardening forum i do not know how i can send you privately, so best if you drop me email)

you can call me at my office (i work for a perfumery!), then you'll realise that i do not work for and am not IN ANY WAY related to Far East Flora. i think it's one of the biggest (if i'm not wrong) and best nursary in singapore - and i'm very happy with the services and products there since i just moved house and bought most of the stuff there. I didn't know i can't share that here - esp since the thread starter ASKED about recommendations.

i think it's ridiculous i can't share about Far East, Ikea, and the nursary in Jurong here.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 11:42 am

SE, take it easy -- Far East Flora really is the largest and (IMHO) best gardening shop in Singapore. There are 3-4 competitors right next to it on Thomson, but their selections are inferior, the presentation is worse and the price is more or less the same, so why go anywhere else?

HortPark is nice for taking a walk around, but the shops there are tiny compared to Thomson Rd, and it's more or less deserted most of the time.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

pennant
Regular
Regular

Post by pennant » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 11:50 am

jpatokal wrote:SE, take it easy -- Far East Flora really is the largest and (IMHO) best gardening shop in Singapore. There are 3-4 competitors right next to it on Thomson, but their selections are inferior, the presentation is worse and the price is more or less the same, so why go anywhere else?

HortPark is nice for taking a walk around, but the shops there are tiny compared to Thomson Rd, and it's more or less deserted most of the time.
Well,guess u guys didn't know that the 2nd biggest florist/garden along thompson 'goodwood florist' is also own by far east flora !!

:o
A wise man can see more from the bottom of a well than a fool can from a mountain top

jasmini

Post by jasmini » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 11:51 am

thanks jpatokal for concurring with me! :D
i used to live near the area and have frequented the nursaries there, such as JiMei ( now JM). i think it's a waste of time so i merely recommended Far East as the one stop shop to go - only to get such a hostile response! ( so unfair! )

oops SE may now think that you work for Far East! :wink:
or perhaps SE actually works for a competitor..... :cool:
that's why he/she is so upset with me

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 12:01 pm

pennant wrote:Well,guess u guys didn't know that the 2nd biggest florist/garden along thompson 'goodwood florist' is also own by far east flora !!
Duh? But there are several other shops on the same stretch which are not owned by Far East.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

jasmini

Post by jasmini » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 1:56 pm

pennant wrote:
jpatokal wrote:SE, take it easy -- Far East Flora really is the largest and (IMHO) best gardening shop in Singapore. There are 3-4 competitors right next to it on Thomson, but their selections are inferior, the presentation is worse and the price is more or less the same, so why go anywhere else?

Well,guess u guys didn't know that the 2nd biggest florist/garden along thompson 'goodwood florist' is also own by far east flora !!

:o

actually i know - cos once i saw that the price tags used on the hand bouquets in the fridge in Goodwood Florist are labelled as Far East Flora! so i guess probably they acquired Goodwood or something....
but i'm still biased towards Far East and not Goodwood... somehow the stuff there is not as nice... :D