Singapore Expats

Do I Have To Paint My Walls Upon Moving Out?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
AngryAngMo
Regular
Regular

Do I Have To Paint My Walls Upon Moving Out?

Post by AngryAngMo » Thu, 21 May 2009 10:52 am

Hello,

I lived in a Studio (Condo) in Singapore for the last 2 years, moving into a new place end of this month. I am wondering now, if I have to paint my walls new before handing over the flat to cover up the usual and through 2 years of living created marks on the walls.
I checked my tenancy agreement but couldnt find a passage that explicity mentions that.

Advise would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Thu, 21 May 2009 11:11 am

You don't have to paint your walls and you would probably be wasting your maoney if you did so before moving out. Generally the owner paints so if you wnat it done ask them.
Be Like Water

reisende

Re: Do I Have To Paint My Walls Upon Moving Out?

Post by reisende » Thu, 21 May 2009 11:21 am

AngryAngMo wrote:Hello,

I lived in a Studio (Condo) in Singapore for the last 2 years, moving into a new place end of this month. I am wondering now, if I have to paint my walls new before handing over the flat to cover up the usual and through 2 years of living created marks on the walls.
I checked my tenancy agreement but couldnt find a passage that explicity mentions that.

Advise would be much appreciated.

Cheers
you are not required to paint the walls, but the landlord might 'deduct' some of your deposit to 'clean up' the place. personally, I find that really scrubbing the apt out, making it look as clean and neat as possible, including a touch up of paint (you don't have to really paint-paint, just do some touching up here and there), will help a lot. this way, you can be sure to get all your deposit back.