Singapore Expats Forum

Dating situation for caucasian European males in Singapore

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 11:51 am

Dr_H wrote:
QRM wrote:
morenangpinay wrote:to the thread starter.. i think in the aspect of dating..if you do get a much lower salary then it will be your advantage.The ones you will find will surely care and not just for the money .

One of my relatives used to live out the back of a pickup truck mending fences on ranches in Austrailia, he met and married a woman there, years later he returned to the UK, and she was stunned by his family home, helicopters on the lawn, yachts etc. So at least we all said thats one thing for sure she didn't marry him for the money. In fact she hated the whole material thing in the UK and they returned back to Austrailia for the more simple life. Good for her.

Pardon the cynical me .. but sir, lots of very wealthy folks live a very simple life, do not dress uber classy, do not need to show off, but if you hang with one of them there is a big psychological difference .. they are usually so relaxed that after a while you notice that something is different ...

ha ha like you notice the living room is in fact moving because its on a boat? agree in fact its the uber wealthy "old money" ones actually deliberately try and be as low key as possible. They avoid designer labels like the plague, alot of people don't realise all the celebs walking around with fancy Chanel tennis balls (yeap they do exist), have all been paid to wear or given these items so joe public wannabe goes out and buy this overrated and lets be honest "made in China" designer junk. Like they say old money folks would not be seen dead in a yellow Lamborghini. They don't have to show their kampong chums they have done well.
Last edited by QRM on Thu, 04 Jun 2009 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 11:52 am

Actually, you're not cynical, you're just plain silly. :roll:

Dr_H

Postby Dr_H » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 6:15 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Actually, you're not cynical, you're just plain silly. :roll:

i am silly? ..at these words i am enlightened
...he has no ambition and no energy. He will not even go out of his way to verify his own solutions, and would rather be considered wrong than take the trouble to prove himself right........

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Postby pakjohn » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 9:32 pm

agree in fact its the uber wealthy "old money" ones actually deliberately try and be as low key as possible.

I know Jim Rodgers moved here from the U.S.. He dresses pretty low key on TV, I wonder if that's marketing or is he a Sam Walton type?

He was pretty low key in the 70's, stayed away from anything resembling conspicuous consumption, I wonder if billions of dollars has changed him.

(sorry for an off topic post, but seems like the threads taking a breather.)
Pakjohn

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 10:38 pm

Dr_H wrote:
morenangpinay wrote:love does not equal money lol just to point out...there are families in the Philippines who are still together even if they only have rice and salt for meals..

you might also wanna consider the outlook. I guess theres a different outlook in life for Singaporeans, Filipinos, Indonesians, Malays...

Oh really? Woman, aren't your glasses a little too rosy? .. If you are for real though, perhaps we should get to know each other. As far as i know women and men are very much the same across the world .. be it asia or america or europe .. but maybe i am wrong and a wee bit cycnical? Maybe you are the exception that will prove the rule? Consider me ..

>>> I do not make much money at all (<10k>>> I am below average looking (not tall (5', 9") skinny guy with absolutely no dress sense 29 yr old),
>>> In terms of personality, I am certainly not intelligent or smooth or cool. I am not good at small talk or building rapport or any of that stuff. I am not very empathetic ... and generally do not like to listen to anybody's personal problems. I am quite shallow and will rarely talk to a woman if i do not find her attractive.

These are all i can think of right now, will you still consider going out with me? (not to be read literally, this is a rhetorical question). Also will you do this by choice as opposed to this being your best option. Damn, i am so cynical :-)

so you're empathetic and shallow....now why would I date someone like that?

jdaniel
Regular
Regular

Postby jdaniel » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 1:03 pm

morenangpinay wrote:
Dr_H wrote:
morenangpinay wrote:love does not equal money lol just to point out...there are families in the Philippines who are still together even if they only have rice and salt for meals..

you might also wanna consider the outlook. I guess theres a different outlook in life for Singaporeans, Filipinos, Indonesians, Malays...

Oh really? Woman, aren't your glasses a little too rosy? .. If you are for real though, perhaps we should get to know each other. As far as i know women and men are very much the same across the world .. be it asia or america or europe .. but maybe i am wrong and a wee bit cycnical? Maybe you are the exception that will prove the rule? Consider me ..

>>> I do not make much money at all (<10k>>> I am below average looking (not tall (5', 9") skinny guy with absolutely no dress sense 29 yr old),
>>> In terms of personality, I am certainly not intelligent or smooth or cool. I am not good at small talk or building rapport or any of that stuff. I am not very empathetic ... and generally do not like to listen to anybody's personal problems. I am quite shallow and will rarely talk to a woman if i do not find her attractive.

These are all i can think of right now, will you still consider going out with me? (not to be read literally, this is a rhetorical question). Also will you do this by choice as opposed to this being your best option. Damn, i am so cynical :-)

so you're empathetic and shallow....now why would I date someone like that?

some people are hilarious..

Not in reference to anyone's comments or posts.

I think there is a difference between weeding out the gold diggers.... and expecting someone to want to date you when you are a loser with no social skills. Not having money is one thing, being a boorish beast is another.

No I shall wait for that moderator to make meaningless comments.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 1:19 pm

jdaniel wrote:... and expecting someone to want to date you when you are a loser with no social skills. Not having money is one thing, being a boorish beast is another.

No I shall wait for that moderator to make meaningless comments.

Only because it's TGIF and I'm bored this afternoon.

The above may well explain why you are having to "advertise" for a fag hag? :wink:

Can I assume the next line should start with Now not No?

And there, you have your 2nd meaningless comment for the day. :cool:

mymarikit
Regular
Regular

Postby mymarikit » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 9:28 pm

ah heheh this is very funny. you have to experience it yourself. different people have different opinion. you will just go gaga over analyzing each thoughts. LOL!!!! you dont want to go total mental!!!

Dr_H

Postby Dr_H » Sat, 06 Jun 2009 7:19 pm

mymarikit wrote:ah heheh this is very funny. you have to experience it yourself. different people have different opinion. you will just go gaga over analyzing each thoughts. LOL!!!! you dont want to go total mental!!!

What a thoroughly coherent post! The inane do seem to enjoy life and be happier. Go figure.
...he has no ambition and no energy. He will not even go out of his way to verify his own solutions, and would rather be considered wrong than take the trouble to prove himself right........

Answers?
Regular
Regular

Postby Answers? » Sat, 06 Jun 2009 11:49 pm

pot. kettle. black?

Kitten Heel
Regular
Regular

Bl**dy Funny!

Postby Kitten Heel » Mon, 08 Jun 2009 12:47 pm

I haven't post any comments outside of FNDC before, but this is a GREAT thread!

I do agree that moving to a foreign country half way across the world, taking a huge pay cut with the hope that you'll find an 'Asian Girl' is not exactly the wisest thing to do.

And plus, a lot of your ideas/stereotypes of Asian Girls will be seriously challenged, especially if you come to Singapore.

Then again, you might really like it here. Who knows?

frenzal
Regular
Regular

Postby frenzal » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 3:03 pm

Personally, I don't think it's very easy. There is a misconception that ang mo (white person) = asian girls flocking to him. This is not true in Singapore [generally]. If you're an older male and look like you're made of money, you will essentially attract gold diggers. If you're younger, there's not that many girls who would actively go for you, as typically, Singaporean girls can face some social embarrassment for dating a white guy, particularly from their male friends.

That's my opinion anyway.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 3:32 pm

frenzal wrote:If you're an older male and look like you're made of money, you will essentially attract gold diggers.

Aren't gold diggers girls? :P

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asian_Geekette » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 4:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
frenzal wrote:If you're an older male and look like you're made of money, you will essentially attract gold diggers.

Aren't gold diggers girls? :P

Hey sms, there are also some male gold diggers. Perhaps they're better known as gold miners. :P :lol:
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 5:41 pm

I though those were gigolos! :P