Singapore Expats

Dating situation for caucasian European males in Singapore

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Sun, 22 Jun 2014 10:14 am

Piscean girl you're too funny! Seriously men still get complexes if woman are more educated? In this day and age?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 22 Jun 2014 10:42 am

I daresay, all Asian men will. They are programmed from birth to only date those at least one level beneath them.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Sun, 22 Jun 2014 1:15 pm

What do you define as one level beneath?

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 22 Jun 2014 3:52 pm

Education, salary, Socio economic strata so far this is what comes to mind.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 22 Jun 2014 4:03 pm

macaroonie wrote:What do you define as one level beneath?
By the same token, Asian girls are always admonished to marry upwards otherwise they will never have anything better than the already have. Not so true maybe today in Singapore, but Asia wide I would guess it still hold true.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Mon, 23 Jun 2014 10:22 pm

But status, job, salary- these things all change with time. Down one notch today might be one notch higher tomorrow! Comparable status, intellect& someone you respect who will be there when you really need it! Isn't that equally or more important?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 23 Jun 2014 10:25 pm

macaroonie wrote:But status, job, salary- these things all change with time. Down one notch today might be one notch higher tomorrow! Comparable status, intellect& someone you respect who will be there when you really need it! Isn't that equally or more important?
No. That's your Western values.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 8:21 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I daresay, all Asian men will. They are programmed from birth to only date those at least one level beneath them.
I'm programmed that way? Really?
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 8:30 am

Akimbo wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I daresay, all Asian men will. They are programmed from birth to only date those at least one level beneath them.
Try dating someone who is smarter, hotter and makes more money than you. How long can you last with her without losing your sense of pride/sanity in Asia?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 8:30 am

macaroonie wrote:But status, job, salary- these things all change with time. Down one notch today might be one notch higher tomorrow! Comparable status, intellect& someone you respect who will be there when you really need it! Isn't that equally or more important?
Stop being reasonable and humanizing!
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 9:12 am

the lynx wrote:
Akimbo wrote:
Try dating someone who is smarter, hotter and makes more money than you. How long can you last with her without losing your sense of pride/sanity in Asia?
So Asian men prefer to date women less hot than themselves?
Now I understand why some Asian males walk holding hands.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 9:13 am

the lynx wrote:
Akimbo wrote:
It's not that I don't want to try. It's more like they never even gave it a romantic chance to begin with.

Case in point:
I asked the women arnd my age (~25) in my social group, and in the end it became a one on one "friends hangout"...I try to get close to slightly older women (early 30s) and they treat me like a kid somewhat. (heart to heart talk here, whoops)...maybe they see I don't have anything worth sharing with them, or perhaps nothing worth discovering (In their view)?

Yeah, it's possible to have income differences in this day and age. I would probably shirk away if she begins by saying, "Oh I work in Raffles Place/CBD area..." but if she's humble towards life, I would probably get drawn to her even more. I did have some issues on deciding where to take one of my dates for dinner since she's...let's say "one class higher" than me.

Perhaps I gotta get a dating coach here...dress myself more like a grown up man (I still go around to work or social activities with jeans, t-shirt, Chuck Taylors and sometimes a hoodie), read more books, watch more worldly news, go travel and experience more. Or get a pet dog. :P

PS. In my defense, when I do take them out, I would dress appropriately, even though it's just a weekday after work dinner.
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 9:15 am

x9200 wrote:
the lynx wrote:
Akimbo wrote: I'm programmed that way? Really?
So Asian men prefer to date women less hot than themselves?
Now I understand why some Asian males walk holding hands.
That's why I said 'and'. In real life, you get to choose only two out of three options.

Hot + Smart
Smart + Money
Hot + Money

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 9:26 am

Eee, ...I don't know, I would say for an average male (Asian or not) hot women are always desirable and it really does not matter whether he is less or more hot.

Besides, for a traditional male, he probably would not mind to have smarter and more money earning woman as long as he is the head of the house and she is sufficiently obedient, humble, cooks, takes care of children, household etc. etc. The problem is, smart and money making women are seldom like this.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 9:37 am

x9200 wrote:Besides, for a traditional male, he probably would not mind to have smarter and more money earning woman as long as he is the head of the house and she is sufficiently obedient, humble, cooks, takes care of children, household etc. etc. The problem is, smart and money making women are seldom like this.
Obedience and humility rarely translate into money earning ability, in what is still a very male-dominated society.