Singapore Expats

Dating situation for caucasian European males in Singapore

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

Post by CaptainBullus » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 10:11 am

x9200 wrote:and she is sufficiently obedient, humble, cooks, takes care of children, household etc. etc. .
This is a girlfriend you're talking about, not a maid right?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 10:35 am

Yep, definitely not a maid. A maid is not for taking care of children.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 10:51 am

the lynx wrote:
x9200 wrote:
the lynx wrote: Try dating someone who is smarter, hotter and makes more money than you. How long can you last with her without losing your sense of pride/sanity in Asia?
So Asian men prefer to date women less hot than themselves?
Now I understand why some Asian males walk holding hands.
That's why I said 'and'. In real life, you get to choose only two out of three options.

Hot + Smart
Smart + Money
Hot + Money
You've got that wrong - the matrix always has a negative.

Hot+Dumb
Smart+Poor
Rich+ugly

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 1:48 pm

PNGMK wrote:

Hot+Dumb
Smart+Poor
Rich+ugly
You forgot dumb and ugly, as well as dumb and rich (tai tai)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 3:36 pm

x9200 wrote:Eee, ...I don't know, I would say for an average male (Asian or not) hot women are always desirable and it really does not matter whether he is less or more hot.

Besides, for a traditional male, he probably would not mind to have smarter and more money earning woman as long as he is the head of the house and she is sufficiently obedient, humble, cooks, takes care of children, household etc. etc. The problem is, smart and money making women are seldom like this.
Hot, successful, assertive woman who earns more than the husband

cough*pussywhipped*cough

That's so unmacho.

:roll:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 3:44 pm

nakatago wrote: Hot, successful, assertive woman who earns more than the husband
cough*pussywhipped*cough
That's so unmacho.
:roll:
... but can be tolerated if they're good in bed and also call from NTUC to ask if you want them to pick up some beer whilst they're there.

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 8:01 pm

But those men who expect their educated wives to do all the housework, cooking, cleaning etc should seriously consider marrying someone who can do those things & good at it! But if they're seriously looking for intellectual input- they will have to compromise & do some of the chores themselves

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 8:43 pm

A guy doesn't marry for 'intellectual input' ...... phhhh ....

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 8:58 pm

macaroonie wrote:But those men who expect their educated wives to do all the housework, cooking, cleaning etc should seriously consider marrying someone who can do those things & good at it! But if they're seriously looking for intellectual input- they will have to compromise & do some of the chores themselves
years ago someone told me why SG govt seriously bars maids from Marrying SCs ...

if no such rule the guys will realise all their life they needed a maid, not a wife ;) and all hell will break loose ...

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 10:08 pm

JR8 wrote:A guy doesn't marry for 'intellectual input' ...... phhhh ....
Well, it may sound like we are joking here a bit but really, I suppose 95% guys are like this.

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 10:17 pm

If that's the case then the converse is also true, an educated female would not need a male

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 10:18 pm

Maybe that's why there are so many lesbians here? :???:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:33 pm

Fortan wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

Hot+Dumb
Smart+Poor
Rich+ugly
You forgot dumb and ugly, as well as dumb and rich (tai tai)
No, he got it. That Taitai didn't start out rich. She started out Hot but became rich with her husband's money.

And they all become ugly eventually. That's why there is OT, Geylang, Karaoke, etc.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 25 Jun 2014 6:57 am

macaroonie wrote:If that's the case then the converse is also true, an educated female would not need a male
Education will help only a little. Ultimately not many people would like to spend their lives alone.
Besides, IMHO there is only like 5% of women who have a substantial problem with it.

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pisceangirl » Wed, 25 Jun 2014 12:13 pm

Akimbo wrote:
the lynx wrote:
Akimbo wrote: I'm programmed that way? Really?
Try dating someone who is smarter, hotter and makes more money than you. How long can you last with her without losing your sense of pride/sanity in Asia?
It's not that I don't want to try. It's more like they never even gave it a romantic chance to begin with.

Case in point:
I asked the women arnd my age (~25) in my social group, and in the end it became a one on one "friends hangout"...I try to get close to slightly older women (early 30s) and they treat me like a kid somewhat. (heart to heart talk here, whoops)...maybe they see I don't have anything worth sharing with them, or perhaps nothing worth discovering (In their view)?

Yeah, it's possible to have income differences in this day and age. I would probably shirk away if she begins by saying, "Oh I work in Raffles Place/CBD area..." but if she's humble towards life, I would probably get drawn to her even more. I did have some issues on deciding where to take one of my dates for dinner since she's...let's say "one class higher" than me.

Perhaps I gotta get a dating coach here...dress myself more like a grown up man (I still go around to work or social activities with jeans, t-shirt, Chuck Taylors and sometimes a hoodie), read more books, watch more worldly news, go travel and experience more. Or get a pet dog. :P

PS. In my defense, when I do take them out, I would dress appropriately, even though it's just a weekday after work dinner.
I think you should want to be with someone who likes you for you right? I find all the stuff about "How to's" and "What to's" on dating very amusing because it almost sounds like a script (for someone else :P). In my opinion, there are certain basic standards of hygeine and personal grooming that both men and women should adhere to. Your dressing style is a representation of your personality and you shouldn't have to alter that too much (certainly dress for the occasion but that's different and even there you can find ways to express your individual style).

As for income differences, the thing I don't get is why you should feel the need to "level up" or take your date to a certain restaurant cause she works in CBD. In my opinion, the coolest thing about dating an independent woman is that she can buy her own bag and won't look to you for material stuff (and if she does then you need to consider if that's the kind of person you want to be with).

One of my best dates recently was a river side "picnic" where we each brought home cooked stuff. Great food(MSG free!!!) plus lovely conversation :)

Last but not the least, being with the right person can be awesome but being by yourself is infinitely better than being with the wrong one!
Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are. (Tupac)