Singapore Expats

Dating situation for caucasian European males in Singapore

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
carsten_54

Dating situation for caucasian European males in Singapore

Post by carsten_54 » Thu, 21 May 2009 5:33 am

I am considering moving to Singapore because it's been a dream of mine to explore Asia and I find Asian women highly attractive. What are the odds of me finding a girlfriend if I move there? I am well educated, tall, have an athletic build and a nice and caring personality. Do Singaporean girls like Europeans? I am basically an atheist, is that a problem? In general, what do marriage-minded Singaporean women look for in a man? Is internet dating something you can recommend is it just a waste of time? If so, what's the best way to find a high quality Singaporean woman? A big thank you to anyone who contribute to this thread!

SteveP79

Post by SteveP79 » Thu, 21 May 2009 9:50 am

I look forward to seeing the responses on this one, as Carsten sounds like a mirror image of me, and for some reason there isn't a queue of beautiful ladies following me around everywhere.

Carsten, I suspect we may get directed to the "Dating and Friends" department...

jpatokal

Re: Dating situation for caucasian European males in Singapo

Post by jpatokal » Thu, 21 May 2009 9:59 am

Evening, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to another episode of Ask Doctor Wikipedia!
carsten_54 wrote:I am considering moving to Singapore because it's been a dream of mine to explore Asia and I find Asian women highly attractive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_fetish
I am well educated, tall, have an athletic build and a nice and caring personality.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_No_Enough
What are the odds of me finding a girlfriend if I move there? Do Singaporean girls like Europeans?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarong_party_girl
I am basically an atheist, is that a problem?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Singapore
In general, what do marriage-minded Singaporean women look for in a man?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_C%27s_of_Singapore
Is internet dating something you can recommend is it just a waste of time?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roulette
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vbelle » Thu, 21 May 2009 10:34 am

i dont think you will have problem finding a girlfriend..think quite a lot of asian girls like caucasian male.
Although some parents do prefer their daughter to marry a guy from the same race..
Atheist in Singapore...dont think its really a big deal..a lot of "free thinker"
I think its a bigger problem in Indonesia (I am Indonesian)..but then..I am not Singaporean..dont know the statistics for sure..
Steve..why would you expect the girl to follow you around? You should chase them...or hitting on them first..lol
Most of my friends will wait rather than chasing guys...its the culture i guess...but then again...I am not Singaporean..though my Singaporean girlfriends will do the same...

carsten_54

Post by carsten_54 » Thu, 21 May 2009 2:07 pm

Thanks for your opinios. Please keep the comments coming, I am interested in what more people have to say. Please note that I am looking for an educated quality woman (someone you want to start a family with) and I pretty much hate gold-diggers and slutty women.

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vbelle » Thu, 21 May 2009 2:47 pm

dont worry...not all are gold diggers..my friends are interested more on how cute the mix baby will be...;p

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Thu, 21 May 2009 2:55 pm

I think in general, regardless which country you are, its harder to find "quality" woman. Its the same, its hard to find "quality" man. If its so simple, everyone will be happily married and divorce cases will be really low.

Some interesting data...
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/peo_d ... vorce-rate

reisende

Post by reisende » Thu, 21 May 2009 3:09 pm

Deleted
Last edited by reisende on Fri, 19 Feb 2021 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carsten_54

Post by carsten_54 » Thu, 21 May 2009 4:20 pm

[aside]...mr carsten 54, when you meet local...
For your information, I NOT 54 years old, I am 31. Carsten as username was taken so I added a random number. And I am looking for somebody about my own age.

reisende

Post by reisende » Thu, 21 May 2009 5:20 pm

D
Last edited by reisende on Fri, 19 Feb 2021 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tammy138
Regular
Regular

Post by Tammy138 » Fri, 22 May 2009 4:02 am

carsten 54...i am kind of curious. Why don't you just find yourself an Asian girlfriend back at home instead?

carsten_54

Post by carsten_54 » Fri, 22 May 2009 4:23 am

Tammy138 wrote:carsten 54...i am kind of curious. Why don't you just find yourself an Asian girlfriend back at home instead?
Well, I am a little tired of the western mentality and attitudes. When I was an exchange student in the USA, I met some girls who where born and raised in Asia (China, Japan, India, etc) and they all had much, much better personalities than girls growing up in the USA and in Scandinavia (I'm from Denmark). Finding a single Asian girl who grew up in Asia isn't very easy in Denmark. Somebody pointed out that the divorce rates are high so if I would manage to find an Asian girl here in Denmark and we would divorce, then I would probably be single for many years before I find a new girl. If I live in Asia, finding a new Asian girl raised in Asia shouldn't be that hard. Also, I would like to explore Asia and living in Singapore I would live close to most other Asian coutries. A third reason is the climate, we have very depressing weather up here in Scandinavia. Why do you ask? Do you not recommend me moving there? If so, why not?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 May 2009 7:25 am

carsten_54,

A word to the wise, from an old man who has been married to an Asian girl for 26 years......

Don't be blinded by fantasy. One's imagined Asian girl can turn out to be an exercise in patience, frustration and finally, resignation. You have no idea of what the word stubborn means (they will teach you!). Cultural differences will constantly cause aggravation and friction (regardless of what you may think). And, in your haste to attain what you think is the ideal, you will soon learn that in order to have that appearance, you will soon be emasculated. You will soon realize who really wears the pants in the family.

And if all that is not bad enough, statistically speaking, the average East-West relationship (marriage) it terminated within 2 years. Those of us who DO make it longer than around 7 years usually go for the duration but the odds are stacked highly against your success.

But, if that's what you want, go for it. Don't listen to anybody here as most of us have been there and done that. Most of the successful ones are still around and most of the mixed marriages on this board are survivours as the others have gone home with their tails tucked between their legs.

Anyway, who knows, you may be the one to beat the odds...... (I did :mrgreen: ) :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

birkin

Post by birkin » Fri, 22 May 2009 9:04 am

Carsten54, I doubt you will have problems finding dates in Singapore - women here are pretty open to dating men of all nationalities - in fact I know some women who particularly prefer foreign men (they are more worldly, more attractive etc etc). Being an atheist is not likely to be a problem unless you are dating someone religious.

But one tip though: Asian women generally don't like to make 'first moves' and alot of us are shy around foreign men. Not sure about Asian women having 'better personalities' like you claimed, but I guess in general S'porean women are more docile than our Western counterparts? Just my 2 cents worth.

And yes, beware of 'Sarong Party Girls' ( generally slutty girls who date white men solely for money/sex - unless you don't mind dating those types..lol)

Interestingly, my good Singaporean friend is dating a man from your country and they are doing great!! Hoping to hear wedding bells from them soon, in fact ;)

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Fri, 22 May 2009 9:41 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote: You will soon realize who really wears the pants in the family.
So true!! Not that I am cuckolded but everything has to be checked with the "boss"

My Father who is English married a Japanese, and his friends who all ended up with matron like English wives would often comment on how lucky he is, his wife is so petite and demure, and very accommodating etc. When they leave he would say to me they have no idea....