Singapore Expats Forum

Asked to be a wedding emcee! Yippee!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Miss Swan
Chatter
Chatter

Asked to be a wedding emcee! Yippee!

Postby Miss Swan » Tue, 19 May 2009 10:38 am

One of my good friends will be holding her wedding dinner next month, and not only do I get to be her bridesmaid, I'm also asked to be her emcee! Of course I said yes immediately :D

I've never been a wedding emcee before (nor attended weddings with emcee's!), so Google has helped heaps by providing standard scripts which I downloaded, but I want to inject some humour and fun into the script without using lame/corny jokes or acting like a clown...
The script I got is great, but just sounds really staid.

Would love to hear from anyone who has some good ideas to offer...

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Tue, 19 May 2009 7:18 pm

*rimshot*

sorry, i couldn't resist. ; )

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 May 2009 9:00 pm

Congrats! I've never been to a wedding with an emcee before, either... and I'd guess it's all about maintaining the flow, keeping the energy up, and directing it the way the bride and groom want it to go.

So, the key is authenticity... speaking from the heart... owning the event... in the sense that it is yours to make a success. You don't need to make stupid jokes... but you do need to find out beforehand about all the wedding guests... and for the 'important' ones... find interesting anecdotes and stories that can be cast in a humorous light... that way you are not telling jokes, you are bringing the audience closer together with personal insights into some of the personalities there, delivered in a humorous manner.

But be careful... you're not the main event... don't be obtrusive.