Singapore Expats

how to send money home w/o a bank account?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
missy81

how to send money home w/o a bank account?

Post by missy81 » Mon, 18 May 2009 9:34 am

hi, im trying to find the cheapest way to wire money back home to USA but have heard that western union and similar services cost a lot. Most people have told me that wiring through the bank is probably the cheapest but I don't have a bank account yet since most banks require foreigners to have work permit before opening an acct with them (I'm still waiting for mine). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 18 May 2009 11:35 am

Often discussed before, do a search. And yes, you can get a bank account without a WP.

How much do you want to transfer? PayPal & co are cheap and easy for small amounts, but too expensive for >US$1000.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

missy81

Post by missy81 » Mon, 18 May 2009 12:50 pm

hello, thanks for the reply. I was actually planning to use paypal and asked my friend to lend me his debit card (I'm gonna give him the cash). I plan to wire about 1300 SGD. Is there a fee for paypal? I thought it was free?

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 18 May 2009 4:51 pm

agreed with jpatokal. paypal or western union for small amount. fees or no fees, they somehow got to make money, so it is either fees and good exchange rate or no fees and rubbish exchange rate.

you can open a saving account in singapore on the spot even as a tourist. looks like you have to do a lot more research in living and staying in singapore. :wink:

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Tue, 19 May 2009 9:52 am

Sending money with PayPal is free. Receiving it costs you.

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic43202.html
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague