Singapore Expats Forum

What is IQ without commonsense & visa versa

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ksl
Governor
Governor

What is IQ without commonsense & visa versa

Postby ksl » Sat, 16 May 2009 12:45 am

Today I had a discussion again, which really does get up my nose, I have been accused of being always right, and i ask them accusing me why am I always right, I am not but most of the time in Singapore I am, my character is to be a sparring partner , I do not care about right or wrong, I care about minimising risk and that's how my mind works, and believe me, i mean from a basic survival mode, for me it is instinctive!

I find it quite annoying that people slag me off to my face because I am right, because i am using logic and experience above an IQ rating. My theory is that they fail because of a lack of application and experience. There is no doubt that they have been straight A students, they have the proof in education ...all i have is a couple of Heinekens because it's weekend. No this is not an advertisement!

But I think it is a very interesting discussion, that may shed light on other reasons, for being knowledgeable, when those with education are far from correct and lack knowledge.

For example I started map reading at the age of 14 in the army cadets, I learned all what I should learn, and there is much to learn. Map reading for those that have never learned is duite detailed in aspects of magnetic variations for you to be correct, if you are walking from A to B and the legend, contours and much more needs to be understood....My wife thinks it is to pick up the map in a car, and follow the route, which she cannot do either.

Okay I have also spent 10 years in the air and have studied navigation, but my point is, that I can use my knowledge and experience to get me from A to B without having a map, I can also service and look after my own vehicle and know when I should call for assistance and many other day to day routines tasks, that skilled labour calls for.

Today I went fishing with my Singaporean brother in law, just to see how he would react, So I informed him of the thread we had been following about Singaporean IQ and also children education and we discussed the UK system too.

I was expecting him to reply in a negative tone about the UK and I agreed with his perception that Singapore was better, because the UK does have in general a weaker system, for a reason.

The reason is politics, and they sell out the childrens education for votes, by guaranteeing no failures . Education is always flexible so that it suits the education minister and not the people, where votes count. Children on the other hand have lots of practical survival instincts and are street wise in comparison to Singapore kids.

Singapore there are no votes, so all children must memorise, because that is the only way to learn Chinese, not Malay or Indian but Chinese, and it's easy to understand why Chinese is much more difficult.

The English alphabet is from A to Z and the Chinese Alphabet doesn't exist, we have to deal with syllables and tones and for every character, there are 4 tones and literally I have 1400 characters, that i am supposed to learn myself.

So memory is actually an asset and a talent that serves a purpose of passing exams only by memory, all that is required for Singaporeans, is the practical experiences that western people are exposed to in the job market, DIY market and so on to broaden their scope. Not many bother, because they feel that their career path is more important.

I can actually sit here, just reading posts and analyse those with abilities to be competent enough, to gain my respect, and that is without knowing them. Unfortunately I have yet to identify this asset in a Singaporean post, and I am very sure it has nothing to do with class or education, but a fact of being capable of delivering a message that makes sense.

daytripper65
Regular
Regular

Postby daytripper65 » Mon, 18 May 2009 11:24 pm

Hi,

Your post made me smile, because I have similar issues with people close to me—only I speak from the other side. Forgive the lengthy reply, and divergence from your subject- I got sidetracked, so it’s more a model of ADD. Do feel free to scroll.

Outright ignorance aside, I think that character and personality contribute to friction in communication. I don’t concern myself with details, statistics, and precision. I value truth, but I am driven more by a moral sense of right and wrong. I prefer discussion relating to human behavior and philosophy over facts and figures, and I’m comfortable with grey areas. I’m conscientious of people’s feelings, careful not to say things that might offend, and I never correct people, regardless of whether I disagree or know different. My mate is the opposite of me in all these ways. He loves getting into intellectual debates, and he has a million hard facts to substantiate his position. For him there are no grey areas, no mysteries without scientific explanation. He disagrees with my opinions, questions your source of information, and brings historical background and related facts to every discussion. Aside from my respective field and interests, I don’t have a leg to stand on. Even in my areas of knowledge, which he questions how I acquired, full steam ahead he goes, overshadowing my limited factual knowledge with his better informed theories.

This dynamic used to drive me berserk. I felt criticized and corrected constantly, and was tired of every discussion morphing into a debate, to which he is, inevitably, “right.”
Let your soul and spirit fly
...into the mystic--VM

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Tue, 19 May 2009 1:56 am

Yes I have a close friend the same, we are two opposites, I'm a Leo and he's a Scorpion, and quite a negative one at that,

I think he disagrees just to see how i react, and i gave up reacting many years ago, so I say it goes in one ear and out of the other. I've heard it so many times before, that it becomes a bore, and he still thinks it's funny.

I do enjoy analysing people however, and I have become quite good at evaluating people especially the so called experts, that tend never to be flexible in their thought process, I mean how can they be wrong, they are experts. :) Nice post!

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Tue, 19 May 2009 6:49 pm

@KSL:You might not realize it but you have made an excellent stealth argument why learning English is much easier than Chinese to learn. And in doing so indirectly shown the foundations of various education systems, yes Asian education is based on rote coz you need it just to learn the "1400 characters and 4 tones" where its only 26 letters in English and so its more time for other things.

Now Im not saying English speakers are smarter than Chinese speakers but you have highlighted a gap and a major one in how people of various languages learn and the various pitfalls of learning a complicated language, which is why in Singapore they are struggling to promote Chinese as a language (with all that MM lee angle with learning the language/culture) in the face of an easier language to learn.

As for you "always being right" I think by nature your are just one of those people who like to have their say and dont mind a bit of verbal in regards to it, which is fine coz so am I, and I think many others on this forum, otherwise why are they posting.
Poking, poking everywhere...

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 May 2009 9:05 pm

Speaking of 26 characters and IQ, I offer the following up to you all... please tell me what it says. Repeat it out loud in order to properly understand it.

EYE HAM
WEE TAHDED
EYE HAM
SOFA KING
WEE TAHDED

Thank you.

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Tue, 19 May 2009 9:07 pm

I refuse on the grounds that it might incriminate me. :D
Poking, poking everywhere...