Singapore Expats Forum

Air Asia?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

LoriW
Regular
Regular

Air Asia?

Postby LoriW » Thu, 14 May 2009 5:04 pm

OK so I'm not even in Singapore yet and I'm planning my next trip home! I need to be home to cook Christmas dinner - so flights are going to be rather pricey.

Anyone here had any experience of Air Asia? It "looks" OK, but having flown EasyJet a couple of times and decided never again, the thought of EasyJet style flights long haul sounds scary!

I expect that I'd only be travelling with hand luggage anyway so ........

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 14 May 2009 6:30 pm

yes, it is gonna be like easyjet, except LONGER flight time! but if you can get a good deal during the xmas period, i guessed that will make it worthwhile...

LoriW
Regular
Regular

Postby LoriW » Thu, 14 May 2009 6:52 pm

OK opodo shows that I can fly Emirates for about £650 anyway so I think that's the preferred option!

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 14 May 2009 7:27 pm

check ALL the online travel agent such as ebookers.com, expedia.co.uk, lastminute.com, etc. and also the airline owns online website.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Fri, 15 May 2009 12:36 am

Air Asia X (the long haul wing) isn't quite as bad as chewing on your knees on Ryanair, but the lap of luxury it ain't either. There have been some insanely good deals for travel to Europe lately, so look into those first...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Fri, 15 May 2009 1:36 am

Try this one LoriW, gives some good choices while Opodo seems to bring up the best prices it seems not infrequently a good deal is available from Cathay Pacific.

http://www.tripadvisor.com (windows open in cascade after selection of flights/hotels/packages etc.

Alternatively http://www.zuji.com which I believe is Singapore based although it is largely too early to get fares for Christmas.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Fri, 15 May 2009 9:02 am

Make sure you don't automatically rule out singapore air for being too expensive. We got a crazy deal back to the UK over Easter online - mind you - it was no cancellation/no change/no miles - but much less expensive then all the other flights (and on the A380!)

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Girl_Next_Door » Fri, 15 May 2009 2:36 pm

I find www.airfares.com.sg a good source to have an overview of various airlines flights. From there, I know which airlines have promotions, and I will compare the prices from airfares.com.sg to the original websites prices.

For example, Emirates were having a promotions around Europe where the flights are cheap. I know about it via airfares.com.sg, but realized that Emirates's corporate website is actually cheaper.

But there are other times when I compared, airfares.com.sg flights (plus taxes) are cheaper than the original websites.

At the end of the day, if you want cheap flights, you need to do a bit of work, and compare. Generally, I feel that expedia.co.uk and lastminute.com flights are not cheaper (if you are flying from Sg).

I think LoriW is booking around Xmas season, so the more important thing, is to actually get a flight back, instead of finding the cheapest ticket.

LoriW
Regular
Regular

Postby LoriW » Fri, 15 May 2009 2:49 pm

Make sure you don't automatically rule out singapore air for being too expensive

Oh good heavens no! I've travelled SIA since umm........ whenever with a couple of hiccoughs along the way! My mother was the biggest snob out there and flatly refused to travel anything other than SIA - as I've gt older I tend to agree with her.

Out of peak season there are fantastic deals - we booked our flights for next week back in January (about 4 weeks before I was offered my job!), beloved has already found a flight to come out and visit me for oct/Nov for £490 or something return.

Christmas is probably THE most expensive time to travel though - as well as getting a seat. Christmas day is a cheap day though ;)

So far the Emirates fare seems to be the cheapest. Think I may well try to clear it with my Prof sooner rather than later and book up!

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asian_Geekette » Fri, 15 May 2009 5:29 pm

LoriW wrote:
Christmas is probably THE most expensive time to travel though - as well as getting a seat. Christmas day is a cheap day though ;)

He he he! Not if one has the Krisflyer mileage points to use. :) :lol:
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

LoriW
Regular
Regular

Postby LoriW » Fri, 15 May 2009 6:00 pm

He he he! Not if one has the Krisflyer mileage points to use.

But ......... for some of the really amazing deals you can't accrue krisflyer points! :(

But yes, true - flying out to Singapore once a year hasn't in the past made it worthwhile registering for krisflyer but I have just signed up :)

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 15 May 2009 8:23 pm

I have 118.956 thousand flying miles with KLM, what to do with them, I hate the time it takes messing around, to get it all sorted. Can I sell them? Really can't be bothered to chase the information, so they may just sit there accumulating

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Sat, 16 May 2009 3:34 pm

ksl wrote:I have 118.956 thousand flying miles with KLM, what to do with them, I hate the time it takes messing around, to get it all sorted. Can I sell them? Really can't be bothered to chase the information, so they may just sit there accumulating

Isn't it use-it-or-lose-it like KF and Cathay where miles last only three years before they expire?

If you call up KLM, an airline can usually sort out all your requirements over the phone......it's not the hassle you might think it to be. Though i heard service from KLM is pretty bad so that might translate to being the same for ground staff.

Lori, there are Trip Reports available online from people who have flown AirAsiaX so you might want to study them.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Sat, 16 May 2009 6:08 pm

ksl wrote:I have 118.956 thousand flying miles with KLM, what to do with them, I hate the time it takes messing around, to get it all sorted. Can I sell them? Really can't be bothered to chase the information, so they may just sit there accumulating

A number of charities really appreciate a donation of unused miles. You could try to sell them via classified ads, but it could be complicated. Need to check out the specific rules of the program.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Sat, 16 May 2009 6:20 pm

carteki wrote:A number of charities really appreciate a donation of unused miles. You could try to sell them via classified ads, but it could be complicated. Need to check out the specific rules of the program.

Legally speaking, selling your miles is illegal by the rules of the FFP, and you may lose them all if caught.

Practically speaking, if your program allows you to gift award trips to third parties (and virtually all do) and you only do this once or twice, the airline will never find out...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague