Singapore Expats Forum

Aussie government's 'hand-out'

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Aussie government's 'hand-out'

Postby ozchick » Wed, 13 May 2009 9:33 pm

The Australian government recently deposited $AUD900 ($1,000 Sg) into every citizen's account where that person declared an income of less than $80,000. So I found this money in my Oz account and don't want it and don't need it and am disgusted with the whole situation. My brother in the same situation back home felt the same and contacted the Oz Tax Office and tried to give it back to the country's coffers but was told there is no procedure for the returning of these unrequested hand-outs.
Yeah sure I put the money to a good cause- the mortgage on my house! But surely I'm responsible for my own mortgage and the government's responsible for keeping the Godforsaken country's coffers healthy. Sigh...rant over..... :-|
PS:I hereby pre-empt all the " you should have given it to charity" sermons. Don't start with me....
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 13 May 2009 10:17 pm

Please send it all to me... more than happy to provide bank account numbers and more than happy to pay all wire transfer fees.

I promise I will do something good with the money.

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Thu, 14 May 2009 5:40 am

Are you not considered a non-resident as you don't actual live in OZland at the moment? I doubt if you would have received the money if that was the case. I haven't checked our accounts yet, but like you they can have it back!

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 14 May 2009 8:41 am

Yeh I think if you are non-resident then it doesn't apply. Besides, the ATO don't have either of our bank details, so we're not going to get it anyway I guess!!!!

If they give me $900 they'll get it back 'coz I owe them anyway!!!!

Mr. P

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Thu, 14 May 2009 10:15 am

^ Damn, I owe them too . . . and didn't receive any 900 either . . . curses
One in the hand is worth two of something

Myrona

Postby Myrona » Thu, 14 May 2009 10:41 am

sierra2469alpha wrote:Yeh I think if you are non-resident then it doesn't apply. Besides, the ATO don't have either of our bank details, so we're not going to get it anyway I guess!!!!

If they give me $900 they'll get it back 'coz I owe them anyway!!!!

Mr. P

If they don't have your bank account details, they'll send it to you as a cheque to your last known address registered at the ATO - so either way, they're gonna try and give it to you.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 14 May 2009 12:03 pm

Myrona - ah in that case it'll be going to our accountants! Better ask them then....thanks for the heads up. Mr. P

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 14 May 2009 2:07 pm

Wish the British government was that generous considering it has recently emerged just how much they have been swindling, here's just one example;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5320564/Telegraphs-MPs-expenses-investigation-will-expose-most-serious-abuses-yet.html

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Zeenit » Thu, 14 May 2009 5:24 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:Myrona - ah in that case it'll be going to our accountants! Better ask them then....thanks for the heads up. Mr. P

I think a Shoe fund is inportant to have these days :P
Zeenit

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 14 May 2009 5:47 pm

Zeenit - don't encourage Ms. C!

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Zeenit » Thu, 14 May 2009 5:54 pm

Zeenit wrote:
sierra2469alpha wrote:Myrona - ah in that case it'll be going to our accountants! Better ask them then....thanks for the heads up. Mr. P

I think a Shoe fund is inportant to have these days :P

Sierra, its very green..........no fuel used. :D
Zeenit

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Sat, 16 May 2009 12:19 pm

I agree, Ozchick. It was a pretty stupid thing for a government to just hand out money like that without some serious restrictions.

My younger brother was working in Australia until very recently. He does not have Australian citizenship, or permanent residency. He got the $900 too. He got laid off a week after the money got put into his bank and he ended up leaving the country, because he had a job offer elsewhere.

I know another guy (from Ireland - also does not have citizenship or PR status) who got the money and went on a holiday to Phuket with it. I'm sure there are plenty of other people who did not use it to better the economy.

It should not have gone to anyone who was not an Australian citizen, in my opinion. That would make me really mad if I were an Australian tax payer.

TennoHekka
Regular
Regular

Re: Aussie government's 'hand-out'

Postby TennoHekka » Wed, 20 May 2009 1:04 am

ozchick wrote:The Australian government recently deposited $AUD900 ($1,000 Sg) into every citizen's account where that person declared an income of less than $80,000. So I found this money in my Oz account and don't want it and don't need it and am disgusted with the whole situation. My brother in the same situation back home felt the same and contacted the Oz Tax Office and tried to give it back to the country's coffers but was told there is no procedure for the returning of these unrequested hand-outs.
Yeah sure I put the money to a good cause- the mortgage on my house! But surely I'm responsible for my own mortgage and the government's responsible for keeping the Godforsaken country's coffers healthy. Sigh...rant over..... :-|
PS:I hereby pre-empt all the " you should have given it to charity" sermons. Don't start with me....

Well, they'll probably take it all back and more as soon as the OECD banking disclosures are implemented worldwide. After all, how's Rudd gonna pay for his 20 long range attack subs planned against the PRC in years to come? :P