Singapore Expats Forum

EPEC - How to get a skilled migrant visa

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Carine

EPEC - How to get a skilled migrant visa

Postby Carine » Sun, 10 May 2009 9:07 pm

Hi

I would like to apply for a skilled migrant visa but I do not know how and where to get the Skilled Migrant visa.
I am German. Can anybody help me??
Best Wishes,
C

Skilled Migrant Visa is a visa issued by one country's government to
foreign professionals to work in that country. Every country has its own
criteria and guidelines for the skilled migrant visa.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 May 2009 9:44 pm

Start here:

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=151&secid=150

Once you have waded through all of that and realize you need Landed Permanent Resident (but your degree must be of an approved degree), you can go here:

http://www.smcmc.com/immigration/immigration.html

Where you can contact them about filing for Landed PR.

Or, you can try to find a job here and get a employment pass (EP) or one of it's various permutations here:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... _pass.html

Once you have managed to digest all of that information, if you have any specific questions that weren't addressed, and you were not able to find it using this boards search function, we will be more than willing to try to help find an answer.

sms

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Mon, 11 May 2009 12:20 pm

his skills obviously do not include the "how to use search engine/google" category.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 May 2009 1:32 pm

Oh yeah, by the way, welcome back. Meant to say sumtin' the other day when I saw your posts again. Are you here yet or are you still in NZ?

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Mon, 11 May 2009 3:12 pm

Hi Carnie,

it pretty much depends on whether you have a possible job lined up and your qualifications. It is relatively easy to get an employment pass for Singapore if you have a job offer, compared to other coutries. Judging from my own experience the German passport is pretty useful in Singapore, but most important of all is that you can provide something to Singapore. I know from other Germans that they had problems when it came to their educational background because plenty of translations were needed for the certificates and transcripts which is a. costly and b. sometimes translators in Germany do it wrongly (eg. they translate Diplom as Diploma) so before applying for EP make sure you have all your certificates and qualifications translated spot on. Also note that translations can not just be done by yourself.

Alternatively as it was suggested you can apply for PR in principle which becomes full PR once you take up employment in Singapore or once you register your children in school. For this one it is even more important to have all your docs in good order.

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Mon, 11 May 2009 3:35 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Oh yeah, by the way, welcome back. Meant to say sumtin' the other day when I saw your posts again. Are you here yet or are you still in NZ?

pee am.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 May 2009 5:10 pm

littlegreenman wrote:Alternatively as it was suggested you can apply for PR in principle which becomes full PR once you take up employment in Singapore or once you register your children in school. For this one it is even more important to have all your docs in good order.

littlegreenman, I don't want to cause any alarm but in-principle approval does not mean you will be automatically granted PR (that's why it's called in-principle). I think you might be referring to Landed Permanent Residency which is a bit different. You are pre-approved (not in-principle) and have a year to find any job. I'm not sure where you got registering your children in school will automatically grant you PR.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Mon, 11 May 2009 5:19 pm

Agreed with the in-principle approval, I was indeed referring to the Landed PR Scheme.

Seems like they have changed things around a bit (feel free to slap my wrist for not checking whether things have changed since 07). When I looked into the LPR scheme, you could still get the PR by enroling your children in a government school or by accepting an offer of employment. Back then you also got lower processing fees if you were a fresh graduate but looking at the webpage of SMC this seems to no longer be the case.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 May 2009 6:33 pm

Not a problem. I had the same thing happen a couple months ago on the renewal of the re-entry permit. Used to be you could get 10 years. Now it's five years only. The lines are constantly being redrawn...... :-|

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Mon, 11 May 2009 6:56 pm

At least you can re-new your re-entry permit online now as long as you have a SingPass. Fair enough you want get to see the confiscated smugglers' cars on display outside the ICA building but therefor you don't have to queue up (please don't burst my bubble by telling me they don't display the illegal immigrant cars any more either).

namasteindia

Postby namasteindia » Thu, 06 May 2010 12:43 pm

I want to apply for skilled migrant visa also.
I am from india.
The site link you mentioned above is a immigrant consultant or its govt website..

i do not want to go thru immigrant consultant

Also there is a monthly salary requirement of 2500dollars which im currently not drawing so i guess im not eligible

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 06 May 2010 9:39 pm

namasteindia wrote:I want to apply for skilled migrant visa also.
I am from india.
The site link you mentioned above is a immigrant consultant or its govt website..

i do not want to go thru immigrant consultant

Also there is a monthly salary requirement of 2500dollars which im currently not drawing so i guess im not eligible

a) You go thru the website because that's what the Singapore gahmen says you do.
b) You pay what the consultant wants because they have the lock on the process.
c) You make the amount of money required or you don't qualify... so save your money on steps a) and b).

namasteindia

Postby namasteindia » Sun, 16 May 2010 1:50 am

Can i apply for EPEC

Only a qualification from recognised university is needed right???

And on basis of EPEC i can immigrate to singapore and search job.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 May 2010 12:32 pm

namasteindia wrote:Can i apply for EPEC
- Maybe

Only a qualification from recognised university is needed right???
- Correct. A university course of instruction "recognized by the Singapore Government"

And on basis of EPEC i can immigrate to singapore and search job.
Incorrect. You can visit Singapore and get a Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP). This is not an immigration visa. For that your are talking about Landed Permanent Residence (LPR). An EPEC from MOM may allow you to get a LTVP from the ICA for 12 months (non-renewable). If you haven't found a suitable job at the end of 12 months, bye-bye.

namasteindia

Postby namasteindia » Sun, 16 May 2010 1:04 pm

i have applied for EPEC im having 16 years experience as Administration Manager and i have diploma in computer networking

I will be getting information about further development within 2 days.

So on basis of EPEC i can go to singapore and get a LTVP and once i get LTVP i can live in singapore and search job is that right?????

I cannot bring my dependents on LTVP right??

I do not have skilled migrant visa......is it needed for my profession??

Thankyou