Singapore Expats Forum

Need guidance from you friends regarding my career.

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

idlebar
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun, 10 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Need guidance from you friends regarding my career.

Postby idlebar » Sun, 10 May 2009 2:17 am

Hello friends,

I hail from Bangalore ,India. I studied my National Diploma and BSC hons in Networking in Singapore, I have been living for 3 years already, presently I am working in a local firm as a I.T engineer, THe company is not related to I.T , I have been working since 9 months for a salary of $500, the company never talk about applying the EP or S pass for me nor increase the salary, I am soo fed up of this, what is the best way to find another job? I sometimes feel very low and regret coming here.

Is there any way out ?


Regards,
Chandu.

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Sun, 10 May 2009 7:42 am

i'm not recruitment/HR expert, but is it possible for you to look for another job (without any risk to your current job situation, given the current climate)?

also, could you not talk to your boss about your visa status?

idlebar
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun, 10 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby idlebar » Sun, 10 May 2009 2:26 pm

I have spoken a hundred times regarding this, they say ya , ur good we want you work for us, but its been 6 months they have been telling same story till today they havent applied

calvink
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 381
Joined: Sun, 17 Sep 2006

Postby calvink » Mon, 11 May 2009 1:39 am

Hi...i dont understand how you can survive with a s$500. lodge a complain at MOM

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 May 2009 8:33 am

calvink, maybe you ought to go out to kranji to the foreign workers quarters and have a discussion with them. Ought to open up your eyes for you real good. You would be surprised how Singaporean Employers treat their staffs.

As far as the OP goes, he should go to the MOM. The reason he doesn't is because he already knows that what he was doing is illegal to start with as he knows he's not allowed to work without a proper work permit. Therefore he is just as culpable as the employer is.

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Mon, 11 May 2009 9:20 am

i didn't think the OP was working illegally... i thought he had some sort permit.

in that case, he should be more worried about being caught, jailed and caned than anything else...

yo, idlebar. not looking too good, buddy! heed sunday's advice: have an anonymous phone call with MOM at the very least...

idlebar
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun, 10 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby idlebar » Tue, 12 May 2009 2:44 am

I am doing a Legal job, I have the approval from MOM. THey have been telling they will increase my salary and apply a EP for me but till now nothing.

Are there any agents or any other consultants who could help me to get a job? I mean understanding the current market senario its very hard but just want to get some views from u guys , as u have faced similar situations or have ample of experience in working.

Thanks a lot friends for ur suggestions

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 May 2009 6:54 am

Are you working on a Student Pass? Or, are you working on a Work Permit?

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Tue, 12 May 2009 8:47 am

idlebar wrote:Are there any agents or any other consultants who could help me to get a job? I mean understanding the current market senario its very hard...


well, like i mentioned in my first reply to you, are there any risks to your current visa/permit status if they found out you were looking for a job?

there're heaps of places you can job hunt, and companies that might be able to help you (depending on what your expectations are).

look around the other posts for some links and company names...

how about monster.com.sg for starters? (i hope that's the right URL!)

or kelly recruitment services. i think??

lulu1234
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu, 07 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Need guidance from you friends regarding my career.

Postby lulu1234 » Tue, 12 May 2009 9:41 am

idlebar wrote:Hello friends,

I hail from Bangalore ,India. I studied my National Diploma and BSC hons in Networking in Singapore, I have been living for 3 years already, presently I am working in a local firm as a I.T engineer, THe company is not related to I.T , I have been working since 9 months for a salary of $500, the company never talk about applying the EP or S pass for me nor increase the salary, I am soo fed up of this, what is the best way to find another job? I sometimes feel very low and regret coming here.

Is there any way out ?


Regards,
Chandu.


What pass do you currently hold to work for 9 months???
Judging from the salary of S$500, it's impossible to be EP & S-Pass.
I'm really doubtful that you have Work Permit because degree holder usually can't get approvals for WP.

And, what MOM approval letter do you have?
If you're currently working using your Student Pass, then you're here illegally & it's no surprise that your employer only pays you S$500.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Tue, 12 May 2009 11:32 am

Smells a little fishy to me, don't get caught ....you better start having thought's of swimming to Johore, or talk to MOM, to get out of your situation. I think maybe they will just hold you in detention for deportation, if you are illegal. But they will certainly deal with the employer...

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10831
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 12 May 2009 11:45 am

idlebar wrote:I am doing a Legal job, I have the approval from MOM. THey have been telling they will increase my salary and apply a EP for me but till now nothing.

Are there any agents or any other consultants who could help me to get a job? I mean understanding the current market senario its very hard but just want to get some views from u guys , as u have faced similar situations or have ample of experience in working.

Thanks a lot friends for ur suggestions


Hello,

What kind of 'approval from MOM' can you have? You cannot have an employment pass of P1, P2, or Q because you do not make enough money. You also cannot have an S pass because you need to make at least $1,800 to qualify for this pass.

You can't be working on a work permit because that is for unskilled or semi-skilled workers.

So, what kind of approval to you have? If it is an S pass upwards then the company is lying to MOM about your salary in order to get the pass.

Do you have a FIN number?

calvink
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 381
Joined: Sun, 17 Sep 2006

Hi

Postby calvink » Sat, 16 May 2009 5:12 am

I have a new coleague from Malaysia and she has an EP though her salary at 1.800 only qualifies her an S Pass perhaps.....

Im holding an EP Q1 and my salary are not within the min 2.5K cap...

So does MOM alwiz accept this kind of exception.....for degree holders....In fact, our position are easily fill by locals anyway...

lulu1234
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu, 07 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Hi

Postby lulu1234 » Sun, 17 May 2009 1:14 pm

calvink wrote:I have a new coleague from Malaysia and she has an EP though her salary at 1.800 only qualifies her an S Pass perhaps.....

Im holding an EP Q1 and my salary are not within the min 2.5K cap...

So does MOM alwiz accept this kind of exception.....for degree holders....In fact, our position are easily fill by locals anyway...


There's a possibility that your employer/your colleague's employer lied to MOM on your/your colleague's salary on the application; i.e., stating that your salary will be S$1800, but you are in fact only paid S$1500. The employee doesn't tell because he's desperate to stay in Singapore & have a job.

It happens now and then and it's definitely illegal.

So, it's not an exception...it's rather an illegal act.

wcs
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue, 26 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby wcs » Tue, 26 May 2009 1:24 am

It is unlikely that he is on a student pass so long after graduation.

I am just graduating from a graduate programme at NTU and we were told that there is an exception that allows us to work on a student pass. Basically from the date that classes end, until the end of the student pass we are allowed to obtain employment in Singapore provided the university has no objection. This is used to enable students to complete internships or other such work.

However we were told it was not widely known so we would have to educate the employers about it, or obtain a letter from the uni stating this was the case if they were unconvinced.

I hope you get it sorted out...life in Sg on $500 a month would not be very pleasant! :(

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal/en/communities/work_pass/other_passes/employment_of_foreign.html


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests