Singapore Expats Forum

Same Sex Relationships - DP/LTSVP/?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Wed, 06 May 2009 6:38 pm

Hi friends, Ms. C and I have an interesting situation. Friends of ours who are in a same-sex relationship (15+ years) are looking at relocating as one of them has been offerred a senior position here. Having researched here, and finding some older postings, and also calling MoM (whose answer was a firm "no" to a DP), the question remains that surely same-sex relationships exist for expats here in SIN.

The offer for the person concerned is a significant career move for them, however they are unlikely to take it without the ability to move their partner here and live in the same harmony they do in their present country.

Their partner has their own business so EntrePass might be an option. At least initially, however, LTSVP might work also?

If anyone could share any knowledge as to how to advise them we'd be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance, Mr. P.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 May 2009 12:22 am

The government frowns on that kind of stuff here as you know. So, an LTSVP is the only option (and a slim one at that). The partner is going to have to find a way to get here on his own merits to put it bluntly.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 07 May 2009 2:16 pm

They might be "hers" there, sundaymorningstaple :)

Appreciate your assistance and it confirms our investigations.

Could anybody else share with us situations that our colleagues have found themselves in?

Many thanks in advance, and thanks SMS for your help also :)

Mr. P

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Thu, 07 May 2009 3:35 pm

With all the recent hoo haa over AWARE maybe their helplines might be a good starting point?

Though its set up for Singaporeans, I notice a lot of photos of "expat" women in comfortable shoes.

http://www.aware.org.sg

nakai

Our government is strict

Postby nakai » Tue, 19 May 2009 3:23 pm

Singapore still retains its same sex ban

Some news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 059300.stm
More Love, More Pleasure with Tenga
Sex Toys Singapore

werder

Postby werder » Thu, 28 May 2009 11:35 am

Here we go again,
I asked the same question last year and was quite put off by the answers from some of the moderators . It would have been helpful to hear that the way to come with your partner is to create your own company.
Lots of "us " are doing that here. In Singapore as long as you pay, you get in ! Very pragmatic. The officer at the Singapore embassy in London told me that people were submitting DP passes with certificates and were going through.
Of course the line of the MOM is to say no , but in pratice , it might be different ?
Any way , I am in , through my alternative door and found Singaporeans more open that expected ... bar the religious mob . Feel free to pm me for infos.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Same Sex Relationships - DP/LTSVP/?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 27 Nov 2009 12:20 pm

werder wrote:Any way , I am in , through my alternative door and found Singaporeans more open that expected ...

Why doesn't this statement surprise me....... :shock: :lol:

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Postby scarbowl » Sat, 28 Nov 2009 3:14 pm

QRM wrote:With all the recent hoo haa over AWARE maybe their helplines might be a good starting point?

Though its set up for Singaporeans, I notice a lot of photos of "expat" women in comfortable shoes.

http://www.aware.org.sg
Sigh! That's a tired stereotype. On the other hand, why not wear comfortable shoes over the other "uncomfortable" type? Who is smarter here - the ones wearing comfortable shoes, I would say!

The assumption that you have to be a lesbian to be sensitive to the treatment of women here is not a valid assumption.

thrust

Postby thrust » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 10:12 pm

Hi there!

I am having a similar issue. I was quite open to the HR department in my company when my relocation to Singapore was offered, and they assured there were a number of options to bring my partner (civil partner in our country of origin) so I should not worry too much about it.

Of course now that I have joined and moved, things are not that easy, and they are suggesting that we should look at opening our own company for him to be able to get an Entrepeneur pass, which is both complicated and expensive.

Have read in many places that certificates issued abroad are being accepted for DP´s which would be the best option for us, but is this really working? The company processing Visas for us is quite reluctant to try this option... Any help would be greatly appreciated, both here or pm...

Thanks!!!!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 11:28 pm

A DP won't happen, but maybe an LTVP is obtainable. However, employment is not an option on an LTVP while a Letter of Consent is all that is need if on a DP. There has to be a legal relationship in order to obtain the DP though. You did not indicate whether your "union" is normal or same sex, but as you are replying in this particular thread, I am assuming it is a gay relationship. You might get a LTVP, but as can be seen, the only verifiable way is the entrepass route which may or may not be an option for you.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Postby poodlek » Fri, 24 Sep 2010 12:20 pm

There are three same sex expat couples in my husband's company and each of them accepted the job offers here only if their SOs could come too. So the company hired the SOs too. It was easy enough in each of these situations as their skills were needed and this company was being built from the ground up at that point, but is there a possibility for your friend's company to do that for her? As a condition of her accepting the offer?

jcport67

Postby jcport67 » Sun, 26 Jun 2011 4:33 pm

Hello,
I just joined this site and when I tried to PM the site informed me I am not allowed to PM until I have more posts.
I am in negotiations with a large IT company to join a project in Singapore. I am in a same sex (male) relationship. We are married in Massachusetts for over two years, and that allowed us to register our marriage in Portugal about a year ago as the laws recently changed there [ :) ] and I am a citizen of Portugal. I would appreciate any advice at my email jcport67@yahoo.com . Since I am still in negotiations it would be great if anyone knows the best kind of visa I should ask for for myself and also if it is important for me to form a company - which I do beleive is a possible option for me.
My partner is not in IT although he currently is an owner of a retail business and has plenty of experience being self-employed. Thanks in advance for any response
JC

waggy19

same sex partners in singapore

Postby waggy19 » Mon, 05 Dec 2011 7:49 pm

Hi, Please could I get some more information on applying for a DP for my same sex partner (female). We have been in relationship for 14 years but have not had civil partnership (marriage). I have been offered a position in SG and we are planning to move in January. Can I apply for a DP for her? it seams that it may be possible with a letter confirming the relatonship. If this is the case who do I get the letter from? We are both British. Any new information would be great.

Thanks

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Dec 2011 8:32 pm

Unless the relationship is recognized as a legal union in your home country, you are out of luck with the DP. LTVP is the best you can hope for. That one should not be a problem in confirming. All you really need to do is make a written statement and have it notarized or chopped by your embassy or possibly even a Notary can do it. But, that will only attest to the fact that you two are living in a de facto relationship and not a legal one. You need a marriage license for that.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Mon, 05 Dec 2011 9:32 pm

SMS, Has the criteria for DP changed? In the past it was possible to get it without being 'married'. All you had to do was to prove tenure of time together etc. Admittedly there is no guarantee.

To the OP you are British and therefore are able to get 'married'. It would be way easier if you visit your local courthouse and get the signed piece of paper. No one else need know - it is just a piece of paper.