buy or rent? accomodation

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
britscommunity

buy or rent? accomodation

Post by britscommunity » Wed, 06 May 2009 2:17 pm

hi, i'm from britain. been in singpore for 6months.lovely place i must say. considering the current property market , would it be wiser to purchase a property instead of renting it? long term gain?

please advice... thanks :) appreciates all post.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Wed, 06 May 2009 5:16 pm

The general consensus at the moment is that selling prices (and rentals) will continue to drop for another year or so -- and this is a self-fulfilling prophecy, since as long as people believe this, nobody will buy and prices will keep falling. So, no, I wouldn't buy just yet, but it might be time to start looking around.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

bbgrace

Post by bbgrace » Mon, 11 May 2009 9:35 pm

I have just bought a property. I with my family is settling down here in Singapore. So for us for long run (mainly for the settling up of family, not for investment), it will be better to buy instead of renting a property.

Tammy138
Regular
Regular

Post by Tammy138 » Thu, 21 May 2009 4:25 am

hi all, i am from the UK also and will be going to singapore in the next couple of weeks.

Has rental dropped significantly lately? can anyone please let me know what the average apartment for a 2 bed is nown for a central area or maybe somwehre like angmokio? When I look into the real estate portals, the prices still seems quite high.

Thanks for your help!

reisende

Post by reisende » Thu, 21 May 2009 11:34 am

Tammy138 wrote:hi all, i am from the UK also and will be going to singapore in the next couple of weeks.

Has rental dropped significantly lately? can anyone please let me know what the average apartment for a 2 bed is nown for a central area or maybe somwehre like angmokio? When I look into the real estate portals, the prices still seems quite high.

Thanks for your help!
prices are still high because landlors are stubborn and quite delusional. best bet is to get hold of a local saturday paper and check out the rent classifieds. much more realistic.

also, the quoted rent prices are all mostly negotiable.

it depends on what type of apartment you're looking for. a swanky, newly built apartment at a central location can cost S$5000 for a two bed room, but there are many more equally swanky but not brand new (still relatively new) apts for less. I've found some 2-bed room apt in central locations (even toa payoh, novena, farrer park), for $2500. really depends whether you want the pool, gym, tennis courts, or apts without facilities..

I'd sooner stay in a HDB in a central location too, but for my big dog. alas.

Tammy138
Regular
Regular

Post by Tammy138 » Thu, 21 May 2009 5:28 pm

Thanks Reisende. What saturday newspapers should i get? sorry, i am being ignorant but i have never been to Singapore before.