Singapore Expats Forum

How long for shipment Hong Kong to Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

UK-HK-SIN
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun, 03 May 2009
Location: Singapore

How long for shipment Hong Kong to Singapore

Postby UK-HK-SIN » Wed, 06 May 2009 8:45 am

Hi there

I was wondering if anyone has done the move from Hong Kong to Singapore recently and could tell me how long their shippment took.
We will have a whole container and have not got anything in it to cause customs to hold it up...... no alcohol etc. Our shipping people said to expect 4-6 weeks but they also said that when we moved from the UK and it was cleared in 4........

clo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed, 22 Apr 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby clo » Wed, 06 May 2009 4:22 pm

Hi There!

They are correct it takes about 4 to 6 weeks even you do not have anything to declare!

Hope this helps!

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1667
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Wed, 06 May 2009 4:23 pm

4-6weeks for a move from HK to Singapore? Crazy! 4-6 weeks from the UK to Singapore is acceptable given a 3-wk sailing time.

Actual on the water time of shipping from HK is only 4-5days.

Add to that maybe three days prior to putting on the ship and 2-3days on the Singapore side the whole thing can be done in about 2-wks. The closest actual door-to-door time then is, lets say, 10-days at best. It makes it this easy because you say you are sending a whole container in your name and not consolidating with the shipping company.

Everything comes down to the shipping line your forward will use and how often their service saild, maybe weekly for example.

UK-HK-SIN
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun, 03 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby UK-HK-SIN » Wed, 06 May 2009 11:37 pm

Well that was what I thought......I can't imagine what they will do with it for all that time......
We are using Crown who I would imagine have regular sailing slots..... We will see....

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1667
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Thu, 07 May 2009 9:16 am

UK-HK-SIN wrote:Well that was what I thought......I can't imagine what they will do with it for all that time......
We are using Crown who I would imagine have regular sailing slots..... We will see....



Both Maersk and OOCL at least have weekly schedules that each take just 4-days between HK and Singapore. I think NYK and CMA are the same so, so long as Crown and their forwarder is not limited to just one shipping company I would say two weeks door-to-door is definately do-able for a full container.

My stuff was not stopped at customs at all on the way in and left the port within 24hrs or arrival.

OogieBoogie
Regular
Regular
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri, 17 Apr 2009
Location: Singapore East Coast

Postby OogieBoogie » Thu, 07 May 2009 10:36 am

3-6 weeks? It's too long!
It took 2 weeks from Tokyo, and according to the ship details, it took indeed about 4 days to do HK->SG with a stop in Malaysia in between.
Are they telling you 3-6 weeks in order to make sure you make plan to move in 6 weeks so they can bill you for few weeks of storage in their warehouse?

I used Sant Fe, and was fairly happy of the result.

User avatar
imrankassim
Regular
Regular
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri, 09 Jan 2009
Location: Novo Logistics Pte Ltd
Contact:

Re: How long for shipment Hong Kong to Singapore

Postby imrankassim » Tue, 12 May 2009 11:25 pm

UK-HK-SIN wrote:Hi there

I was wondering if anyone has done the move from Hong Kong to Singapore recently and could tell me how long their shippment took.
We will have a whole container and have not got anything in it to cause customs to hold it up...... no alcohol etc. Our shipping people said to expect 4-6 weeks but they also said that when we moved from the UK and it was cleared in 4........


It should take about 2 weeks or less for the container to arrive in Singapore, depending on the carrier. You're correct though, take about 23 days to ship a container from UK/Western Europe to Singapore.

Imran
INT'L RELOCATION. imran@novo-logistics.com

User avatar
imrankassim
Regular
Regular
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri, 09 Jan 2009
Location: Novo Logistics Pte Ltd
Contact:

Postby imrankassim » Tue, 12 May 2009 11:26 pm

UK-HK-SIN wrote:Well that was what I thought......I can't imagine what they will do with it for all that time......
We are using Crown who I would imagine have regular sailing slots..... We will see....


Crown's the forwarder mate, they'll use the regular shipping lines just like any other forwarder
INT'L RELOCATION. imran@novo-logistics.com

Myrona
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue, 14 Apr 2009

Postby Myrona » Wed, 13 May 2009 10:21 am

Hi - I'll be making the move to Singapore from Hong Kong as well and I was just wondering who is the company you used to ship your stuff over? Are there others that are just as good? Anybody have any bad experience with anyone?

User avatar
imrankassim
Regular
Regular
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri, 09 Jan 2009
Location: Novo Logistics Pte Ltd
Contact:

Postby imrankassim » Wed, 13 May 2009 2:00 pm

Myrona wrote:Hi - I'll be making the move to Singapore from Hong Kong as well and I was just wondering who is the company you used to ship your stuff over? Are there others that are just as good? Anybody have any bad experience with anyone?


Have a look at the classifieds ! Let a good forwarder take care of your relocation needs and you'll have a fun, hassle-free trip over to Hong Kong, its a great city with loads of vibe !

Rgds

Imran
INT'L RELOCATION. imran@novo-logistics.com

Myrona
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue, 14 Apr 2009

Postby Myrona » Wed, 13 May 2009 3:28 pm

imrankassim wrote:
Myrona wrote:Hi - I'll be making the move to Singapore from Hong Kong as well and I was just wondering who is the company you used to ship your stuff over? Are there others that are just as good? Anybody have any bad experience with anyone?


Have a look at the classifieds ! Let a good forwarder take care of your relocation needs and you'll have a fun, hassle-free trip over to Hong Kong, its a great city with loads of vibe !

Rgds

Imran


I know, Hong Kong is great! I actually live here now.... I was asking for relocation to Singapore. :)

User avatar
imrankassim
Regular
Regular
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri, 09 Jan 2009
Location: Novo Logistics Pte Ltd
Contact:

Postby imrankassim » Wed, 13 May 2009 6:01 pm

Myrona wrote:
imrankassim wrote:
Myrona wrote:Hi - I'll be making the move to Singapore from Hong Kong as well and I was just wondering who is the company you used to ship your stuff over? Are there others that are just as good? Anybody have any bad experience with anyone?


Have a look at the classifieds ! Let a good forwarder take care of your relocation needs and you'll have a fun, hassle-free trip over to Hong Kong, its a great city with loads of vibe !

Rgds

Imran


I know, Hong Kong is great! I actually live here now.... I was asking for relocation to Singapore. :)


Ok, I can recommend a good agent in Hong Kong, Sanity Freight. They're based in Kowloon if I can recall.

P.s : Wan chai is an awesome place for a night out, good memories !

Thanks

Imran
INT'L RELOCATION. imran@novo-logistics.com

UK-HK-SIN
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun, 03 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby UK-HK-SIN » Thu, 14 May 2009 9:46 am

well I thought I would update for everyones benefit. We didn't use Crown - they were DOUBLE the price of Asian Tigers. I am currently surrounded by boxes and the guys are doing a brilliant job. I also got an e mail this morning saying that the boxes will leave my place tomorrow, will be sailing out of HK on 16th expected to arrive in Singapore on 19th. So not sure how long it takes for customs to clear but looks like when i get the keys to my new place on 1st June I will be able to move straight it !!!

Am now VERY excited and can't wait to be there .... esp as HK is so GREY and hazy today ;)

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1667
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Thu, 14 May 2009 10:22 am

5-days from your door to SG customs is an amazing job by any standards. Expect your container to be available for pickup the day after it arrives so, so long as Asian Tigers have a place to hold on to your stuff for a few days after they unstuff the container you are set to go.

We didn't use any of the "big" relocation companies either when we left HK again purely on the fact they were so expensive so, nice work.

And you get out of HK before the really hot stuff starts.

rfuchs
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue, 28 Apr 2009
Location: Singapore, East Coast

Postby rfuchs » Wed, 20 May 2009 11:13 am

ScoobyDoes wrote:5-days from your door to SG customs is an amazing job by any standards. Expect your container to be available for pickup the day after it arrives so, so long as Asian Tigers have a place to hold on to your stuff for a few days after they unstuff the container you are set to go.

We didn't use any of the "big" relocation companies either when we left HK again purely on the fact they were so expensive so, nice work.

And you get out of HK before the really hot stuff starts.



I did received also today my stuff.... shipped 3 weeks ago from Romania/Europe, arrived Sunday .... they said 4-5 days customs ... took them 2 only ..... today delivery at my place


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest